Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM

238 posts, read 227,933 times

Advertisements

I heard that someone posted his family's address in Centreville on Wikipedia. While that is horrible, I wish that someone from the Korean community would come forward and make a statement. The ROK statement was not very helpful: We are sorry this happen, AND we hope this doesn't stir up racism. As usual they were more concerned about their own interests. Korea, in my experience, is one of the most racist countries I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
Default I hope it doesn't either...

I never felt scared of asians, ever, always had the highest reguard for their ethics...but to be honest, tonight when I went to the store, there was a Asian man who seemed alone and I was sorta of scared to ask him if I could get in to get a shopping cart, cause he looked angry and mean, so I approached him as kindly as I could, and he then looked back at me and said sure! But at first, I was kinda of scared and I never ever even felt this way before and I feel sorta of bad that I did feel this way, but I know its just something we all go through when something like this happens, I know in my heart not all Asian men are like him, most are good people, who value hard work and family. Just sorta scared me momentairly here, and yes they should speak out and do something, just to curb panic and racism, cause we all are prone to it and we all need to reminded that at the end of the day, most of us are kind decent people, most anyhow.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:21 PM

What did you find racist bout Korea? Was it the fact that you were in their country or did you find this to occur when in America? Or both?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:32 PM

I would not be scared of Asian men. Statistically, it is extremely, extremely rare that Asian men commit violent crimes.

Anyway it is not my intention to make this a focus on Korean frailties. I'm curious as to how this student was able to obtain a gun in the US. I thought that you have to be a CITIZEN of the US to buy guns here (?)

Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM

142 posts, read 537,158 times
Default Tragedy

Liberal Michael Daly of the New York Daily News blames the State of Virginia for this tragedy instead of the deranged killer.

If you have high blood pressure, please do not click on the link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...nocents-2.html

Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 PM

This is certainly an eye opener bargain mom, and my heart goes out to you for what you had experienced and being Korean yourself, how hard that must be for you, I will read the rest tomorrow, and then comment some more, thanks so much for educating me here on some things, I guess I am not very versed on some things, that I thought I was...thank you and take care. Feel free to PM if you wish. Ok, if u rather not too, PGH.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
was VT campus deemed safe before that?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM

142 posts, read 537,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
I would not be scared of Asian men. Statistically, it is extremely, extremely rare that Asian men commit violent crimes.

....... I thought that you have to be a CITIZEN of the US to buy guns here (?)
Yes, it is against the law for non-citizens, criminals and illegals to purchase
or steal a gun and use it in a crime.

In the UK, it was illegal for ANY private citizen to own a gun. The gun laws were so successful that even the criminals and terrorists obeyed them and the police soon realized that they also had no need for guns and everyone hugged one another and started singing "Give Peace a Chance" and everyone lived happily ever after. Thee End. Now wasn't that a nice story?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
Korea is not welcomed even in Asian.

But I still hold the point of view that VT shooting doesn't have much to do with korea.
the gunman came to Washington D.C in 1992 and raised up.
he was mostly educated in the U.S.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Ducksburg, I totally agree that this has nothing to do with the murderer being Korean. I just wish that the Korean government had expressed more sympathies rather than focusing on avoiding backlash against Koreans. Of COURSE it is NO ONE's fault other than the killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies