Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, he didn't say he invented it, he said he created it.snippet: (Al Gore talking)
" During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. "
Do you think that was not true? Do you think Gore was not consistently far ahead of the curve in envisioning what the "information surperhighway" could become long before it actually did? Do you think that he did not for years push Congress to fund the infrastructure buildout that creation of the internet as we know it depended upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,505 times
Quote:
No, he didn't say he invented it, he said he created it.
Here's a transcript of that interview:

Transcript: Vice President Gore on CNN's 'Late Edition' - March 9, 1999

snippet: (Al Gore talking)
" During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. "
Yeah,

snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet

Quote:
Clearly, although Gore's might have been a bit clumsy (and perhaps self serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in the economic and legislative sense for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously taking credit for "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign.
Quote:
In May 2005, the organizers of the Webby Award for online achievements honored Al Gore with a lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the internet. "He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early contributions," saod Vint Cerf.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Do you think that was not true? Do you think Gore was not consistently far ahead of the curve in envisioning what the "information surperhighway" could become long before it actually did? Do you think that he did not for years push Congress to fund the infrastructure buildout that creation of the internet as we know it depended upon?
I guess you lost me.

Al Gore never said he invented the internet. That happened back in the 60's with DARPA and ARPANET although it's debatable as to which one person could be credited with being the inventor.

I just provided the transcript and snippet of what he said.."created" vs "invented".

Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
ARPANET (internetworking) was in place long before Gore, or any of the rest of us, knew what a Commodore 64 was.

In 1972 the ARPANET was demonstrated. A packet switch and a Terminal Interface Processor was used for the first time in a hotel basement to run apps all over the country. Gore was not in on the demonstration, and certainly contains enough of the UFDAH to have not had anything to do with anything else related to the net.

In smaller words; Someone, once, asked Gore if he thought the internet was a good idea, to which Gore replied, "um ... Yup" ... that's the long and the short of it.

ARPANET was our answer to the U.S.S.R.'s Sputnik. Developed by the D.O.D., ARPANET was eventually handed/lent over to the public once the appropriate TCP-IP protocol was written.

Gore ... what a ruse ... that guy.

History of the Internet;

Internet History Timeline

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
One would think some of you right wingers would want Obama to take as much time off as possible.

I mean, he can do no right in your eyes, so why are you complaining about him not doing his job? This should make you happy.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No, Reid didn't put it in, Rahm did.
snippet:
"The $787.2 billion economic recovery bill — to be signed by President Obama on Tuesday — dedicates $8 billion to high-speed rail, most of which was added in the final closed-door bargaining at the instigation of White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel."
Yeah. On the spur of the moment and as a bargaining chip. Emanuel knew it was an idea that had Obama's support, but he didn't throw it out expecting to get it. But nobody on either side objected, so he was glad to take it. There were no details behind it at all. Just $8 billion for high-speed rail development. Suggesting that this was putting ANY particular project into the stimulus bill is flat out falsehood.

Quote:
And it hasn't been awarded yet but here's the top contender for the money:
High-speed train plan gets notice in D.C. - Las Vegas Sun
Who says it's taken as ANY SORT of contender at this point much less the top contender? You? The article makes no such claims. That said, the states of California and Nevada have been trying to work out an LA to Vegas rail link for a good while. Look more closely at the recent history of that and you'll find more of Arnold Schwarzenegger's fingerprints than Harry Reid's.

Last edited by saganista; 06-28-2009 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I guess you lost me. Al Gore never said he invented the internet. That happened back in the 60's with DARPA and ARPANET although it's debatable as to which one person could be credited with being the inventor.
ARPANet was in no sense beyond the most primitive an equivalent of the internet. ARPANet was NOT what Al Gore was referring to.

Quote:
I just provided the transcript and snippet of what he said.."created" vs "invented".
Full credit for that. Most people don't get that far. I just provided note of the fact that Gore's claim to have taken the initiative on Capitol Hill to create the internet was an entirely accurate and valid one. That claim was then deliberately altered and spun into a propaganda myth by the rightwing disinformation media. And various dolts have bought into that propaganda. myth ever since.

Last edited by saganista; 06-28-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
ARPANET (internetworking) was in place long before Gore, or any of the rest of us, knew what a Commodore 64 was.
Relevance? The history of pre-internet days is widely known.

Quote:
In 1972 the ARPANET was demonstrated. A packet switch and a Terminal Interface Processor was used for the first time in a hotel basement to run apps all over the country. Gore was not in on the demonstration, and certainly contains enough of the UFDAH to have not had anything to do with anything else related to the net. In smaller words; Someone, once, asked Gore if he thought the internet was a good idea, to which Gore replied, "um ... Yup" ... that's the long and the short of it.
Gore's statement just went right over your head, I guess. Never implied that he or anyone else in Congress was involved in technical development in any way. Congress' role -- one spurred for years by Gore -- was to fund further refinements of the concepts and practicalities and for getting the emerging technology built out into the real world on a grand scale so as to serve as a free medium for information exchange between everybody. That was a huge idea, and Gore was one of the first non-technical people to see it.

Quote:
Gore ... what a ruse ... that guy.
No, it's denigration of the significant role that Gore actually did play that qualifies as a ruse. Some people wish to deny him the credit that he is legimately due simply because they disagree with his politics. That's an example of being cheap and petty. And wrong.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

Who says it's taken as ANY SORT of contender at this point much less the top contender? You?
Sag..I'm sorry. You are right it was not in that article. I did dig up the one where I saw it mentioned.

Map Of Potential High-Speed Rail Built By The Stimulus
snippet:
"He said the likely top contenders for the $8 billion would be the Northeast corridor, California, a Las Vegas-to-Los Angeles high-speed train, Chicago and Florida."

Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Sag..I'm sorry. You are right it was not in that article. I did dig up the one where I saw it mentioned.

Map Of Potential High-Speed Rail Built By The Stimulus
snippet:
"He said the likely top contenders for the $8 billion would be the Northeast corridor, California, a Las Vegas-to-Los Angeles high-speed train, Chicago and Florida."
That's pretty much all of the proposed high speed rail networks. It's like saying the projected winner of the Super Bowl is one of the teams in the NFL.

On another note - what conservatives did to Al Gore with that silly Internet argument is similar to what liberals did with McCain's "100 years in Iraq" statement. Nobody in their right mind thought he meant what they accused him of, but it was good political fodder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies