Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It is definitely risky. Zillions of folks have played the premarital sex game and gotten pregnant before they were ready. Zillions of folks have contracted STDs, which includes deadly diseases such as AIDS. Zillions of folks have suffered severe depression and other mental illnesses because they have had sex before the relationship was stable. I could go on and on about this but folks will continue to ignore the consequences of premarital sex.
So, sex outside of marriage is all gloom and doom, huh?

I would recommend this book to you, but I'm afraid you might have a heart attack while reading it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Qtfc0WFXL._SS500_.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because you don't know HOW people contracted HIV. I've done some work with HIV/AIDS charities- you'd be amazed at how many people got it from a cheating spouse and only found out when they were routinely screened during pregnancy (thank goodness transmission from mother to child can be prevented) or they have serious health issues. I met one girl who sadly contracted the disease due to a rape.
I realize that several folks have unknowingly contracted AIDS through no fault of their own. My beef is with those who know the risks but chooses to ignore them for a few moments of illicit pleasure.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, folks do make mistakes but why can't other folks learn from the mistakes of others. Why must we continue marching to the tune of the same drum?
Your answer to HIV seems to be: "Don't have sex. And if you do have sex, you deserve whatever you get."

Old 06-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So, sex outside of marriage is all gloom and doom, huh?

I would recommend this book to you, but I'm afraid you might have a heart attack while reading it.
I won't have a heart attack reading that type of book. Just another person with his/her head in the sand.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Your answer to HIV seems to be: "Don't have sex. And if you do have sex, you deserve whatever you get."
I don't think anyone deserves AIDS but there are consequences to every action. I know folks mess up and I do care about those that are suffering. I just think the suffering is needless.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
By the way, safe sex is a myth. Condoms can and do break so those who use that for protection had best be prepared for potential pregnancy or STD.
Yes, sexual intercourse without any risk is not possible, but reducing the risk definitely is. Condoms are highly effective in reducing the risk of transmitting a disease.

Advocates For Youth - Condom Effectiveness

Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
If he was talking about ALL Americans, well, the aren't enough labs to do all of the testing....

Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Non-issue, in my opinion. Everyone should get a physical, go to the dentist and if you're at risk of anything, get tested.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If he was talking about ALL Americans, well, the aren't enough labs to do all of the testing....
I was thinking similar thoughts. I don't think Obama even said that "ALL Americans" should get tested. He just said "Americans should get tested", which leaves it open to interpretation. But as usual, some people took it to the extreme so they'd have another opportunity to criticize Obama.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Ok. Here is the conspiracy theory of the day....perhaps he wants all Americans to get tested so he can then remove the ones HIV positive from the upcoming governmental health plan. Seems to me he is leaning towards insuring only the healthy right now. Old people are out and people with pre-existing diseases are out, disabled are out...kinda a three strikes approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies