Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
They raided 3 bars. 2 "straight" bars and 1 "gay" bar. Arrested, what was it, close to 20 people total (the majority from the straight bars) ??? 1 person got hurt. If they were there just to "bash" gays as you said, wouldnt there have been more than one person hurt? Wouldnt they have stopped at the "gay" bar and not messed with the "straight" bar?

Do you not think that when arresting drunks that possibly 1 out of 20 or so would get unruly?
Sorry this kind of logic is not allowed, we must create a false sense of oppression with every claim no matter what is real or logical.
Welcome to the gay rights movement. Of course I continue to believe everyone should have their day in court and their rights defended as individuals straight or gay no matter what bar they attend.
I just like to have all the facts and not just based on emotional and politically charged media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Most of us aren't like this.
I could understand some everyday person in Texas bashing us because we're lesbians but the POLICE? How can you feel safe when the police are going out bashing gay people? Would you even feel safe reporting a crime against you?

"Well if you'd straighten out...you wouldn't have to worry about people beating you up. Now go on home and clean yourself up."

Anyone know of any gay bashings in Asheville, NC? The gf and I have had our hearts sets on going there. Dallas can wait a few years.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
Perhaps so it didn't look like a deliberate violent raid on a Gay bar on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots?

Why weren't straight bar patrons beaten and sent to the hospital with a bleeding brain?
I am sure if the straight drunks did what the police report said the gays did they too woudl be arrested

Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Perhaps so it didn't look like a deliberate violent raid on a Gay bar on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots?
I think it's pretty unlikely that the cops were aware of that anniversary.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:

Why weren't straight bar patrons beaten and sent to the hospital with a bleeding brain?

Why werent the gay bar "patrons" (see how the plural form is misused here?) sent to the hospital for a bleeding brain? There was one. If it was just an excuse to bash gays I think they would have done a little better job than 1 person in the entire club. Not to mention they wouldnt have gone to the straight bars.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I could understand some everyday person in Texas bashing us because we're lesbians but the POLICE? How can you feel safe when the police are going out bashing gay people? Would you even feel safe reporting a crime against you?
Most police officers here aren't like this. This was an extreme group. I'm straight, so I don't have to worry about being "gay bashed" and there's no way I can know what's it's like to be "gay bashed," so take my comments with a grain of salt if you like. That said, I can say with complete confidence, most police here are NOT like this. I've never heard another story - EVER - of police in this area targeting gays like this.

You also have to understand - these "raids" or compliance checks, actually, happen on a regular basis and target ALL bars. I've said this SMALL group of EXTREMIST police officers used excessive force because the patrons were gay; I don't deny that. What I question is your automatic assumption that the compliance check wouldn't have happened on a straight bar - they actually DO happen - the same group went to two straight bars the same night.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM

297 posts, read 349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it's pretty unlikely that the cops were aware of that anniversary.
I disagree. The coverage of the anniversary is being heavily covered by the main stream media.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

"Well if you'd straighten out...you wouldn't have to worry about people beating you up. Now go on home and clean yourself up."

Anyone know of any gay bashings in Asheville, NC? The gf and I have had our hearts sets on going there. Dallas can wait a few years.
when you read the police report and see the bashed a bunch of drunks. I see them as a bunch of drunks who would have been arrested for being drunk whether they were gay or not. This happens at straight bars to. Drunks are drunks whether gay or straight

Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
This was Stonewall 2, perpetrated on the LGBT community by people with beliefs like yours. This bar was raided specifically because it was a gay bar. Period.
Not sure if I believe that. I do agree that the officers went overboard, but this was just one of several bars that were 'inspected' that night.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Gay, straight, black, white, purple, blue or green - does anyone else have a problem with 9 officers raiding any bar to round up, beat, and arrest drunk citizens who, prior to the arrival of the officers, were causing no disruption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies