Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,411,046 times

Advertisements

These "bar checks" don't just happen in Texas or the South.

Chief Brian Miller » Bar compliance checks. - Indiana

Tacoma: Compliance check nets some violators | The News Tribune - Local | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination (http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/785491.html - broken link) - Washington

Missoulian: Changing attitudes on carding, compliance checks at bars (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/05/26/news/local/news02.txt - broken link) - Montana

Police agencies around the entire U.S. do checks to make sure bars aren't serving to minors and/or people who are already intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,597,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
If they wer egoing into Billy Bobs 9 would not be enough.
That does nothing to explain why nine cops are needed to check a liquor license in this particular bar.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,741,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
That's all I was trying to get at. Some here automatically assumed the 1 gay person with injuries was just sitting there minding his/her own business when some cops jumped him/her. Not only that but now its turned into "they sent the gay people to the hospital with a bleeding brain". Now the number has jumped from one to numerous. Then the "they only raided the 2 striaght bars so they could go to the gay bar and bash people for no reason".

I find it very probable that the one person that ended up with injuries was out of hand. Do people really think the police would be dumb enough to just go in for no reason and start bashing gay people in front of hundreds of other gay people? Drunks dont use the best judgement...believe, I know..been there done that.
According to one of the links I read (don't remember which one) a witness claimed that the fellow who was injured was merely on his way to the restroom and stumbled when one of the officers attempted to stop him. (Possibly tripping on the officer's foot?) Now, could you tell me how needing to take a leak could be construed as being "disorderly"?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,411,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
According to one of the links I read (don't remember which one) a witness claimed that the fellow who was injured was merely on his way to the restroom and stumbled when one of the officers attempted to stop him. (Possibly tripping on the officer's foot?) Now, could you tell me how needing to take a leak could be construed as being "disorderly"?
You don't have to be "disorderly" to be arrested for PI.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I'm a bit confused as we don't have these sorts of raids where I live.

What is a liquor license check? To me it seems like a bureaucrat could spend five minutes at the public records office to make sure everything is in order with the license.
Actually, it sounds similar to the checks that police here do in convenience stores to be sure that clerks aren't selling alcohol and cigarettes to minors. Of course, those are usually done 'undercover' where they'll send in an especially young looking officer to attempt a purchase. In the 6-7 years my son worked in one such store, he received several certificates from the PD because he consistently asked for ID. And I know of at least one smoke shop that was shut down because the clerks (including the owner) NEVER verified the age of the 'customer'.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 06-29-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,088,999 times
Since they say that they arrested the gay men for intoxication because they made "sexual advances" to the policement. I wonder, would that have arrested lesbians for intoxication because they DID NOT make sexual advances?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That does nothing to explain why nine cops are needed to check a liquor license in this particular bar.
I don't think it was something as simple as checking that they had a license. It sounds more that they were checking both the bartender's and the customers' compliance with the licensing regulations.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You don't have to be "disorderly" to be arrested for PI.
That may be true; the op said something about his being 'out of hand' and I read it is 'disorderly'. Still, needing to head to the restroom doesn't seem to me to indicate intoxication, public or otherwise.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,551,694 times
If anyone cares. here is the google street view link of the Rainbow Lounge in Ft. Worth.I find it very interesting how its so unmarked (but it is Texas). Every gay bar I've been to usually at least has a pride flag hanging out side or something.rainbow lounge ft worth - Google Maps

Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,525,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I haven't read all the posts on this thread yet. It took 9 cops to go to that gay bar to check if they had a liquor license? Uh huh, yeah right, like they didn't plan ahead of time to do some damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies