Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And on the other side of the aisle, we have those who will support obama blindly and by extension, all of his policies and political appointees, without researching the issue or individual. Sheeple, in other words.
Hi, Sanrene! I knew you'd pop in to comment sometime soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:23 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm confused about what you consider to be the truth. Just because other people share your opinion doesn't actually give your opinion more weight. If you picked six numbers for the lottery, and 12 million other people selected the same numbers, it wouldn't make those numbers more likely to win. I've asked you to support your opinion beyond a single sentence made in one speech years ago, and her membership in an organization that it can be argued only exists to advance acceptance of Hispanics in our society. She has served as a judge for 17 years, and issued hundreds of opinions. Where are the racist opinions? Where are the biased judgments?
Any you honestly think that even if I posted hundreds of instances I believed were biased you would magically change your mind and say "Wow, you were right"? Sorry, I have better things to do with my time then waste it trying to convince you of something you could never be convinced of.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
No, I don't have a problem personally attacking Sotomayor on this forum because that's my right. You however are not allowed to personally attack others because you don't agree with them. Read the TOS genuis.
"You've earned your handle" is not a violation of the TOS, genius. If you're insulted enough to whine about something like that, I suggest you find another more gentle place to play.

Quote:
Also your opinion. If it makes you feel better, I think your opinion is asinine as well, and also think liberalism is a mental disorder. Opinions are great, aren't you glad we shared?
I can back mine up. There is zero evidence that Sotomayor is racist. Your entire case is based on one comment made in one speech. So, your opinion is asinine. So is your opinion that liberalism is a mental disorder. I don't think someone who insults our founding fathers that way has any credibility at all.

Quote:
No no, I'm just not in denial of the truth. Look around, read up, you'll find many that share my opinion on Sotomayor. But we must all be idiots with baseless opinions, and you must be the only one with an intelligent opinion.
Sure there are plenty of idiots around who think stupid things. There are "birthers" here, for crying out loud. Finding stupid and baseless opinions is easy. That doesn't make them less stupid or less baseless.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Any you honestly think that even if I posted hundreds of instances I believed were biased you would magically change your mind and say "Wow, you were right"? Sorry, I have better things to do with my time then waste it trying to convince you of something you could never be convinced of.
Whoa, sally! I'm not the one who's entrenched in their opinion. You are the one who posted that your opinion was unchangeable, not me. Yes, if you posted something that was convincing and irrefutable, I would change my mind. I've read through many of her decisions, and they are in fact more conservative than I think you'd probably expect. But jurists with prosecutorial experience actually tend to be more conservative in their rulings.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Hi, Sanrene! I knew you'd pop in to comment sometime soon!
Hallo! I do have a life you know and I also require sleep and tending to my family. Can't be everywhere at once, sorry.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hallo! I do have a life you know and I also require sleep and tending to my family. Can't be everywhere at once, sorry.
Oh good, you're back. So what do you think about the irrefutable facts I posted on page 5 which debunk the entire premise of this thread?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
"You've earned your handle" is not a violation of the TOS, genius. If you're insulted enough to whine about something like that, I suggest you find another more gentle place to play.
Your comments were intended to be condescending and insulting.

"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."

Was that too hard for you to comprehend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie
I can back mine up. There is zero evidence that Sotomayor is racist. Your entire case is based on one comment made in one speech.
No, you can't back anything up. It's not based on fact, it's based on what you THINK. And no, that is not all my "case" is based on, go back and read my reasoning, not that it will make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie
Sure there are plenty of idiots around who think stupid things. Finding stupid and baseless opinions is easy. That doesn't make them less stupid or less baseless.
I fully agree.

Last edited by SimpleMan; 06-30-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Whoa, sally! I'm not the one who's entrenched in their opinion. You are the one who posted that your opinion was unchangeable, not me. Yes, if you posted something that was convincing and irrefutable, I would change my mind. I've read through many of her decisions, and they are in fact more conservative than I think you'd probably expect. But jurists with prosecutorial experience actually tend to be more conservative in their rulings.
Exactly my point. Nothing I will be able to find at this point in time is going to be "irrefutable" to you. You have your conclusion and I have mine, so let's just leave it at that.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point. Nothing I will be able to find at this point in time is going to be "irrefutable" to you. You have your conclusion and I have mine, so let's just leave it at that.
Okay, so my opinion that is based on reading over most of her major rulings, reading her speeches, looking over her record, reading the SCOTUS bios and the summaries of her rulings as well as the evaluations of where those rulings fell in the political analysis, and watching the video of her at various public forums...

and your opinion that is based on a sentence taking out of context from one of her speeches and her membership in the NCLR...

will never be reconciled. Okay, I can live with that.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, so my opinion that is based on reading over most of her major rulings, reading her speeches, looking over her record, reading the SCOTUS bios and the summaries of her rulings as well as the evaluations of where those rulings fell in the political analysis, and watching the video of her at various public forums...

and your opinion that is based on a sentence taking out of context from one of her speeches and her membership in the NCLR...

will never be reconciled. Okay, I can live with that.
It is also due to her involvement with La Raza, and her decision on the New Haven, Ct firefighter case, which we've been over. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's based only on her comment taken "out of context". So let's switch a couple words in her comment: "I would hope that a wise white male with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn’t lived that life.”

Now try to pretend for a second that the cries of racism, SOLELY ON THAT COMMENT, wouldn't be heard from a mile away if the tables were turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies