Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post

From what I know the test itself is not biased. The decisions and lack of good judgment following the test was the only racist part of it. Please correct me if I'm wrongly informed.
That is correct. The argument wasn't that the test was biased, it was that the test was thrown out as there weren't enough minorities qualifying for the promotions (0 African American, 2 Hispanic)

Sotomayor decision on firefighters overturned by Supreme Court - Digital Journal: Your News Network
"The city had thrown out the results of a promotion test because no African Americans and only two Hispanics would have qualified for promotions. It said it feared a lawsuit from minorities under federal laws that said such 'disparate impacts' on test results could be used to show discrimination," reported Robert Barnes of Washington Post. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
a game played by lawyers to get them to lower the standards on a test. the same game is being played in france.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM

184 posts, read 132,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You are wrong again. The professional test was not a pass/fail.

Critical thinking .....
so let me guess.so what you are saying is that all 180 firefighters that took this test are eligible for promotion.even the one who got 5% has the same chance as the one who got 98% right.so if this test is nop pass and fail why did they even bother having it at first place then

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post

Feeling defensive are you? I can think of no other reason you would assume my original post was directed at you since I did not quote you in my OP nor was my post after yours.

And then when I answered your question about upset versus bigotry, I was answering that question only not saying you were a bigot.
Maybe you should be a bit more tactful with your rebuttals when quoting people. Really

Further, if you want to enter a debate, offer some substance. Don’t just come at us with insults and empty rhetoric.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Generally this is refering to the language used in the exam and how closely it reflects language "in common usage" by a particular group or subset of a group. For example, if the exam were written using language only "in common usage" by 1st generation Irish immigrants living in a particular neighborhood of Boston, and the purpose for using the language was to confuse anyone not familiar with the language and thereby decrease their chances of success on the exam, then it could be considered a racist exam.

Basically that's what they are talking about. Hope this helps explain it.
Know what an adaptive numerator is? Do you know what a DPFE is? How about a CMP, or a CKP? Mind you I didn't say CKT. That would be something different. The reason I know these things now is because I cared to find out in the first place. These technical terms are understood by auto mechanics who have to communicate with others who also speak the language. I spent a lot of money, time and effort to learn the language of my trade. If I were a shop manager and I told a mechanic to change the "crank sensor" on a vehicle that really needed a CMP, I would have made a costly mistake and ended up with an unhappy customer because I didn't know the difference between CMP and CKP.

If the black firefighters don't know what "perpendicular" means because it isn't used in the 'hood, they need to spend the money, time and effort to learn because I'm sure it will come up at some point. Can you imagine the potential confusion when a ladder truck needs to be lined up perpendicular to a building for some reason that makes sense to firefighters, but the person who was told to orientate this vehicle in this manner doesn't know what that perpendicular means? In my first example, a car or truck will continue to have a drivability concern. In the example of the firefighter, people could die or suffer injury because they couldn't be reached since the ladder truck wasn't "perpendicular" to the building.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
No, I am not saying that. To be ELIGIBLE one had to score higher than 70%. So I stand corrected that there was no "pass threshold". I should have worded my statement to reflect that fact that the way the dept considers applicants only some of those that meet the threshold would be CONSIDERED. Not everyone that in your words "passed".

(BTW, there is still no pass/fail for the SAT or the ACT.)

NOTE: The decision tried to find the spot between what can be seen as competing provisions of Title VII -- which says that individuals may not be treated differently because of their race, religion or sex, but also that seemingly neutral testing requirements can be discriminatory if they have a disparate impact on members of one group.

The passage rate for the Captain exam was: 16 (64%) of the 25 whites; 3 (38%) of the 8 blacks; 3 (38%) of the 8 Hispanics[6]. The top 9 scorers included 7 whites and 2 Hispanics; given that there were 7 Captain vacancies when the tests were administered, and that the "Rule of Three" in the City Charter mandates that a civil service position be filled from among the three individuals with the highest scores on the exam, it appeared that no blacks and at most two Hispanics would be eligible for promotion.

The passage rate for the Lieutenant exam was: 25 (58%) of the 43 whites; 6 (32%) of the 19 blacks; 3 (20%) of the 15 Hispanics. All the top 10 scorers were white; given that there were 8 vacancies, under the "Rule of Three" it appeared that no blacks or Hispanics would be eligible for promotion.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
No, I am not saying that. To be ELIGIBLE one had to score higher than 70%. So I stand corrected that there was no "pass threshold". I should have worded my statement to reflect that fact that the way the dept considers applicants only some of those that meet the threshold would be CONSIDERED. Not everyone that in your words "passed".

(BTW, there is still no pass/fail for the SAT or the ACT.)

NOTE: The decision tried to find the spot between what can be seen as competing provisions of Title VII -- which says that individuals may not be treated differently because of their race, religion or sex, but also that seemingly neutral testing requirements can be discriminatory if they have a disparate impact on members of one group.

The passage rate for the Captain exam was: 16 (64%) of the 25 whites; 3 (38%) of the 8 blacks; 3 (38%) of the 8 Hispanics[6]. The top 9 scorers included 7 whites and 2 Hispanics; given that there were 7 Captain vacancies when the tests were administered, and that the "Rule of Three" in the City Charter mandates that a civil service position be filled from among the three individuals with the highest scores on the exam, it appeared that no blacks and at most two Hispanics would be eligible for promotion.

The passage rate for the Lieutenant exam was: 25 (58%) of the 43 whites; 6 (32%) of the 19 blacks; 3 (20%) of the 15 Hispanics. All the top 10 scorers were white; given that there were 8 vacancies, under the "Rule of Three" it appeared that no blacks or Hispanics would be eligible for promotion.
how is this test rasist then.it said that the best should be promoted,no blacks were in top 10 so how is that white problem or latino problem.next time read the books and folders that are given to firefighters and you will get it.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM

BTW, there is still no pass/fail for the SAT or the ACT.
well there is a certain amount of points that you have to have on SAT OR ACT to be accepted to high end universities and if you are below it you can be accepted to lower end universities.so this should apply to this test to.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
BTW, there is still no pass/fail for the SAT or the ACT.
well there is a certain amount of points that you have to have on SAT OR ACT to be accepted to high end universities and if you are below it you can be accepted to lower end universities.so this should apply to this test to.
I disagree. I would not be comfortable having persons in the lowest echelon of those who tested being responsible for my home and safety. In college such an arrangement may be harmless and will eventually be sorted out in the work place without doing harm. In safety occupations only the best should achieve the higher ranks and be placed in charge.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I disagree. I would not be comfortable having persons in the lowest echelon of those who tested being responsible for my home and safety. In college such an arrangement may be harmless and will eventually be sorted out in the work place without doing harm. In safety occupations only the best should achieve the higher ranks and be placed in charge.
that is what i am saying in this post.if you are not good enough you can not be accepted for captain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies