Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:38 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
The way that standardized testing is set up is that 49% of students score above "average," 49% score below "average," and 1% scores average. Fully half of children score below average on standardized assessments.

The problems with putting standards in place for homeschooled children are that a) they are faulty, b) there is no guarantee that kids who are "failing" in homeschooling will do any better in a school setting, and c) if fully half of schooled kids are scoring below "average" on standardized tests, then what on earth is the point?

There are also so many variables: My 8 year old can tell you anything you want to know about medieval times and castles. He does not know much about space. If the public schooled children learned about space last year, they would undoubtedly know more about it than my son, and would test much higher in that subject. Does that mean that his home edcuation program is failing?

What about special needs children? Even with special help, they may never score in the top 3/4 of their class. Does that mean that they should be forced to remain in school, simply because their abilities are not going to allow them to "ace" the test?

With so many young people coming out of the public school system unable to spell, read instructions, and count back change, why on earth are you worried about homeschooled children?
What standardized test, exactly, are you talking about? I'm not talking about a child having to perform "above average". I'm talking about a child showing they have competency in a subject on a pass/fail basis. I'm talking about a final exam, or say, a final project even.

The point in putting standards in to place is to ensure the child is LEARNING. You may be a great homeschooler, that doesn't mean there is another child sitting there who cannot read or write. Midevil castles and space are not the type of things that would be tested in an 8 year old. Can he perform the basic math required of an 8 year old? Can he spell basic words and does he know his alphabet? Basics.

Special needs children held to the same set of standards they would be held to in public school to graduate and move forward.

The topic is homeschooled children, which is why I am discussing homeschooling. My concern? Why should homeschooled children not have to meet the same educational requirements as a public school child to receive a diploma? I don't know where you live, but 99% of HS graduates in my area are not coming out of school unable to spell and count back change.

So my question would be: why would you be against basic assessments of student and teacher on a yearly basis?

Again - I'm not against homeschooling in any way, shape, or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Without safeguards in place - it is the children who will suffer. I have seen parents on this message board discussing homeschooling their children who do not know the proper usage of they're and their, to and too, your and you're. Those are basics you learn in grammar school, and if you do not have a grasp of the basics, you should not be teaching your children.
When my son was in 3rd grade I was chastised by my mother for getting out the red pen and correcting the spelling and grammar on a note sent home by his teacher. Granted he was the music teacher teaching other subjects. I also remember when I was in high school the coaches "taught" course such as health and home economics which consisted of read the chapter, answer the questions at the end, Ill be back in 30 min.

Quote:
My question to you is, why would you be against such basic standards? Your children would simply be required to show they are performing up to basic State standards for graduation.
Homeschooled children do have to pass yearly standard testing by the state.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What standardized test, exactly, are you talking about? I'm not talking about a child having to perform "above average". I'm talking about a child showing they have competency in a subject on a pass/fail basis. I'm talking about a final exam, or say, a final project even.

The point in putting standards in to place is to ensure the child is LEARNING. You may be a great homeschooler, that doesn't mean there is another child sitting there who cannot read or write. Midevil castles and space are not the type of things that would be tested in an 8 year old. Can he perform the basic math required of an 8 year old? Can he spell basic words and does he know his alphabet? Basics.

Special needs children held to the same set of standards they would be held to in public school to graduate and move forward.

The topic is homeschooled children, which is why I am discussing homeschooling. My concern? Why should homeschooled children not have to meet the same educational requirements as a public school child to receive a diploma? I don't know where you live, but 99% of HS graduates in my area are not coming out of school unable to spell and count back change.

So my question would be: why would you be against basic assessments of student and teacher on a yearly basis?

In many states, homeschoolers do have to do some sort of evaluation. This might be testing, or a portfolio review by the superintendent/a licensed teacher. I'm not against this type of evaluation. I thought you were referring to standardized testing, which I am against on principle. I live in a state where those things are not required, so I'm glad that I don't have to deal with the hassle... but if it were required, I'd comply.

My son is 8 and is reading and doing math at above "grade level." However, he didn't learn to read until he was close to 7. My daughter is 6 and not reading yet. I am not concerned in the slightest... I know that she too will learn to read in her own time, and will probably exceed my expectations, as my son did. I do have a problem with the school mentality that all kids need to learn the same thing at the same time.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When my son was in 3rd grade I was chastised by my mother for getting out the red pen and correcting the spelling and grammar on a note sent home by his teacher. Granted he was the music teacher teaching other subjects. I also remember when I was in high school the coaches "taught" course such as health and home economics which consisted of read the chapter, answer the questions at the end, Ill be back in 30 min.

Homeschooled children do have to pass yearly standard testing by the state.
They don't. The requirements are different in each State.

HSLDA | Home School Laws

As long as you can prove your kid is competent in the basics, I have no issue with homeschooling. If you looked at that map in the link, I guess my feelings on the matter would be the orange States.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

The public school situation is so bad that I would never send my child to one. We have homeschooled and our children pass any and all tests that any of the publicly educated ones do and guess what. they pass with higher scores than most of the public school children. On top of that they don't have to be taught that Gay is good and that be subjected to constant hate of our country.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous Political Junkie
The public school situation is so bad that I would never send my child to one. We have homeschooled and our children pass any and all tests that any of the publicly educated ones do and guess what. they pass with higher scores than most of the public school children. On top of that they don't have to be taught that Gay is good and that be subjected to constant hate of our country.
Glad that your kids have done well on the state tests. But I have to ask, are you complaining about your local district or about public schools in general? In my area I've never seen hatred of the U.S. or the promotion of a gay agenda.

So many people read/listen to stories from Fox News, Rush, or James Dobson about "such and such" school in some state and assume that their local district is just as bad, without investigating it for themselves.

For the record, I have no problem with homeschooling.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Glad that your kids have done well on the state tests. But I have to ask, are you complaining about your local district or about public schools in general? In my area I've never seen hatred of the U.S. or the promotion of a gay agenda.

So many people read/listen to stories from Fox News, Rush, or James Dobson about "such and such" school in some state and assume that their local district is just as bad, without investigating it for themselves.

Some people would consider clubs like "gay/straight alliance" to be "promoting the gay agenda", which I think is absolutely absurd, but, whatever.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 AM

271 posts, read 251,675 times
The problem with home school is that most people who could not pass an 8th grade test are teaching their kids. Second they are only doing it because they are Religious extremists who want to teach their kids that the earth is 6000 years old and that’s the way it always will be. They want to teach that man walked the earth with dinosaurs and that talking snakes are the cause of all our ills. Third is that by taking your kids out of society and isolating them you take away one of the biggest teaching tools they could learn. How to interact with other different ideas. When you isolate your kids to associate with only other talking snake believers you are close to Jim Jones and Jonestown. All you need is to add the Kool-Aid. You have crippled your kids, but since most people who do this are emotionally crippled themselves misery loves company.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Problems with Homeschooling?

Dumb @ss parents.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I was born and raised in CA and lived most of my life in the LA area. I own my own business and sell oversees. I travel a lot and have lived in different countries also. I moved my family from CA this past Novemeber and haven't looked back. CA does indeed have a gay agenda and they teach the children that our country was bad and wrong because of our past. As a rule, they do not teach children to be proud of their country.

I know exactly what I am talking about when it comes to schools. Where we live now are supposed to have really good schools. I checked into them and still find them lacking. I am sorry, but the average school out there will pass a child just for showing up to school and not for actual learning and knowing capabilities. I see what comes out of our colleges and I really feel sorry for them because they think they are smart, when such a high number have cheated to get to where they are. Our government, by its actions, teaches that cheating and crime is ok as long as you get away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies