Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

A new survey shows 80 percent of Floridians feel businesses and homeowners should decide what things are brought onto their property, which the Florida Chamber of Commerce said Monday undermines the push by the National Rifle Association to allow employees to keep guns in their cars at work.

The measure (SB2356) would prohibit an employer from stopping workers or customers from storing any "lawfully possessed" product in their cars when they park on a company's property. Employers also would be barred from searching an employee's car under the bill, dubbed the "Individual Personal Private Property Protection Act of 2007."

Now this will place more guns in the main roads for owners safety/security..

But can this be a double end sword and bite the community security?

If I understand the article correctly business owners don't want guns in the property or close to the facility. Will people start to break-in in car looking for guns? What you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
Everyone needs to have the ability to protect themselves. I'm all for legislation that lets people keep loaded firearms in their vehicles. I don't believe that employers should be required let employees carry guns inside of their building.

If legislation is going to be passed letting people bring guns on the premises of an employer, then there should be a statutory indemnification protecting land owners and employers from any lawsuits where people shoot guns on their property.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Everyone needs to have the ability to protect themselves. I'm all for legislation that lets people keep loaded firearms in their vehicles. I don't believe that employers should be required let employees carry guns inside of their building.

If legislation is going to be passed letting people bring guns on the premises of an employer, then there should be a statutory indemnification protecting land owners and employers from any lawsuits where people shoot guns on their property.
Can this increase the early discharge of a weapons just because they have in near proximity? I'm just concern that people will take justice on their hand because the availability of a weapon.

Will this harm some communities that depend on tourist?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
There's no law to stop a psycho or criminal from entering a property armed. They walk in, hop the fence, who will confront them? Having armed personnel can be a bonus unless they are a nut case as well. I often carry my pistol to the office, and it sits in my desk. Never have had to use it but it's good to have. Who is going to check cars for weapons? All of my friends keep a gun in their car, at most times.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There's no law to stop a psycho or criminal from entering a property armed. They walk in, hop the fence, who will confront them? Having armed personnel can be a bonus unless they are a nut case as well. I often carry my pistol to the office, and it sits in my desk. Never have had to use it but it's good to have. Who is going to check cars for weapons? All of my friends keep a gun in their car, at most times.
Rick,

Excellent point: Having armed personnel can be a bonus unless they are a nut case as well. The nut case person is what concerns most of us, look at the situation @ VA Tech. Just by making the law more flexible can generate more situations that can be tragic to our communities....

Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,961 times
Yea, to get a permit like tallrick and myself they check to see if you have ever been treated for a psychological disorder or alcoholism. They also check for prior felony convictions. The problem in Fla. is that there are thousands of nutsos driving around pissed off with guns in there glove boxes or other "latched container". These are the ones I'm concerned about. Most of these weapons came from "no background check" gun shows and the owners generally have no training or classes whatsoever.

A bad temper and a cheap little 32 is a baaaaaad combination.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Lightbulb Reality check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
But can this be a double end sword and bite the community security?

If I understand the article correctly business owners don't want guns in the property or close to the facility. Will people start to break-in in car looking for guns? What you all think?
Let's think about this for a second.

Let's say an employer/company creates a rule or regulation saying "no guns at work". Ok, fine so no law-abiding person will bring a gun to work. A violator would face a misdeameanor (max 1 year in jail, but most likely will get probation).

Now, a crazy dude like the Virgina Tech guy, is going to commit first degree murder, which carries life or possibly the death penalty. Do you think he will care is the employer/company forbits guns at work??? Come on!! Of corse not! Reasonable people know that.... only if you live in la-la utopia land will you believe that by passing a rule that crazy people will respect it.

This is the dumbest thing ever! If law-abiding people are not allowed to have firearms for personal protection and crazy Virginia Tech guys will bring guns to kill people anyway, shuldn't one of the good guys be bale to stop a guy like the Virginia Tech dude?

Taking guns away form the good guys will not change anything. That is like taking protection away from the good guys and letting the bad guys have their way. Understand that all CWP people have to get checked for psychological/mental records and go through an extensive background investigation and training.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:57 AM

N G, CWP applicants are NOT checked to see if they have psychological or mental problems, nor are they checked for alcoholism. They only check for felony records and prior "treatment " for mental/physiological, alcohol problems.

If an instructor thinks that a subject taking a CWP course seams a little off he has the right and responsibility to deny a permit to that individual.I'm positive that some people get through the system and carry weapons within the law.

Every state that issues CWP should have a mandatory phsyc. test that the applicant pays for.

The NRA thinks that these safety oriented rules "chip away" at their "RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS" I say the NRA drinks too much coffee and should settle down.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Normally, I believe that property owners rights trump others, (after all, I don't want people telling me what to do with my property), but not in this case. I don't think that the employers have the right to tell their employees that they can't have a gun in their car. Many people have to drive quite a ways to work, or through bad parts of town, etc., and they want to feel that they can protect themselves, in a worse case scenario. That's why we have the "Stand Your Ground" law on the books, so that folks can protect themselves anywhere. When I have to be out later at night, on the road, I carry. In fact, my husband insists on it. Folks, (especially ladies), have the right to protect themselves, wherever they are.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Normally, I believe that property owners rights trump others, (after all, I don't want people telling me what to do with my property), but not in this case. I don't think that the employers have the right to tell their employees that they can't have a gun in their car. Many people have to drive quite a ways to work, or through bad parts of town, etc., and they want to feel that they can protect themselves, in a worse case scenario. That's why we have the "Stand Your Ground" law on the books, so that folks can protect themselves anywhere. When I have to be out later at night, on the road, I carry. In fact, my husband insists on it. Folks, (especially ladies), have the right to protect themselves, wherever they are.
On the subject of the "stand your ground" law. I am a six foot two man and weigh 230 lbs, I have been formally trained in weapons and tactics. I carry a weapon 90% Of the time and always when I'm with my family. BUT..... if I'm confronted by a bad guy at gunpoint and I can get away I'm runnin' baby...... No shots fired.......... Call the cops and give a description.......... Live to see another day...... and most important , no long drawn out, racially charged court case.

People who get involved with road rage are asking for trouble.

Life is like hockey...... if you lose control of the puck ....you move on to the next play.

P.S. I would hate to walk up to a car to ask for directions or tell a woman that her lights aren't on and she shoots me in the head because I'm not pretty and she THOUGHT I was going to rob her.

ANYONE who has a gun should take courses and read about situation strategies constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies