Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This is what MANY on here DO NOT understand. A UHC is NOT run by the GOVT. It is funded by the Govt and guidlines are put on the service to protect the user and the medical staff. The Doctors and Medical professionals make the decisions and run the Health Service. At the Moment the Insurance Companies Decide on your health care and what they will or will not fund. Doctors Decide on your Health Regime in a UHC and it isn't based on your ability to pay, unlike in the USA right now.

Somebody is going to get their ox gored eventually. The only question is who it will be....the medical providers, the insurance companies, pharmecutical companies, or the taxpayers.

If Americans are smart (and most are not) they will minimize the cost to the tax payer and maxmize the burden on the other actors. I'm not talking about nurses and front line workers taking a hit....I'm talking about doctors, lawyers, CEOs, drug sales reps.....the fat cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Somebody is going to get their ox gored eventually. The only question is who it will be....the medical providers, the insurance companies, pharmecutical companies, or the taxpayers.

If Americans are smart (and most are not) they will minimize the cost to the tax payer and maxmize the burden on the other actors. I'm not talking about nurses and front line workers taking a hit....I'm talking about doctors, lawyers, CEOs, drug sales reps.....the fat cats.
You are so right.

Too many in the American Health Service who are there just for profit. If you are a American and cannot give them a profit, they just couldn't give a damn if you live or die a horrible painful death.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:51 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
This is what MANY on here DO NOT understand. A UHC is NOT run by the GOVT. It is funded by the Govt and guidlines are put on the service to protect the user and the medical staff. The Doctors and Medical professionals make the decisions and run the Health Service. At the Moment the Insurance Companies Decide on your health care and what they will or will not fund. Doctors Decide on your Health Regime in a UHC and it isn't based on your ability to pay, unlike in the USA right now.
Uhhhh.....what do you call a practice where the 'guidelines' are put on something if not 'run by it' ?
Semantics?
All private insurers are now allowed/restricted about some of what they can do (fees, for instance)by gov't regulations.(at this point, by state regulations)

Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Thanks for the petition.

Done

Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Uhhhh.....what do you call a practice where the 'guidelines' are put on something if not 'run by it' ?
Semantics?
All private insurers are now allowed/restricted about some of what they can do (fees, for instance)by gov't regulations.(at this point, by state regulations)
OK let me try to explain this to you.
The Govt funds the UHC. It also puts certain guidlines into place to protect the Patients and medical staff. For Example, they cap all damage claims. They make sure that all drugs used have been tested properly and are licenced by the UHC. They make regular checks on waiting times etc and Hospital performance to insure good patient care. They DO NOT interfere in the treatment or drugs given to a patient by the Doctor.
So as i said the Govt funds the UHC but does not interfere with the day to day running of the UHC, that is left to the individual Health Authority that controls each area.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
The Govt funds the UHC.
The taxpayers fund the UHC while the government controls the purse.

Quote:
It also puts certain guidlines into place to protect the Patients and medical staff.
Oversight is good as long as it doesn't meddle into the patient's rights.

Quote:
For Example, they cap all damage claims.
Good and bad. Some damages at birth can lead to a lifetime of expense. Capping such a damage could cause hardship for the individual who has a legitimate malpractice issue. Other situations which (in the recent past) have resulted in ludicris judgements, do deserve some form of cap.

Quote:
They make sure that all drugs used have been tested properly and are licenced by the UHC.
That's what the FDA is supposed to be doing, yet we've had life threatening issues with drugs like Vioxx.

Quote:
They make regular checks on waiting times etc and Hospital performance to insure good patient care.
This sort of oversight is good.

Quote:
They DO NOT interfere in the treatment or drugs given to a patient by the Doctor.
Ask Medicare patients who have had procedures denied how the government doesn't interfere.

Quote:
So as i said the Govt funds the UHC but does not interfere with the day to day running of the UHC, that is left to the individual Health Authority that controls each area.
Another layer of control?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thanks for the petition.

Done
Can I just say....
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Dont hand your name and email address over to some outfit you dont know. This is some data mining tool.

The list of "I want"s on that front page have not been thought through.

I'd keep away from this, and anything else that doesnt bother with an "About us" or privacy policy but DOES cloak itself in a big eagle, flag, shining sea or other knee-jerk device to manipulate you into clicking.
This website was put up by the National Center for Policy Analysis, a right wing think tank. Since they're a "conservative" outfit, you all who signed up probably will rationalize being insulted by the idiotic, misleading "I want" list and disrespected by the lack of an "About Us" or contact information, etc. You're probably pleased, even.

This data mining website is created to look the way it does and "say" what it says, carefully and deliberately -- they're pretending to "speak the language" of the Base whose email addresses (and maybe names and home addresses) they want.

Do you feel disrespected? You should.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-30-2009 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: quote mistake.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Can I just say....

This website was put up by the National Center for Policy Analysis, a right wing think tank. Since they're a "conservative" outfit, you all who signed up probably will rationalize being insulted by the idiotic, misleading "I want" list and disrespected by the lack of an "About Us" or contact information, etc. You're probably pleased, even.

This data mining website is created to look the way it does and "say" what it says, carefully and deliberately -- they're trying to "speak the language" of the Base whose email addresses (and maybe names and home addresses) they want.

Good point re: data mining.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
The Govt funds the UHC. It also puts certain guidlines into place to protect the Patients and medical staff. For Example, they cap all damage claims. They make sure that all drugs used have been tested properly and are licenced by the UHC. They make regular checks on waiting times etc and Hospital performance to insure good patient care. They DO NOT interfere in the treatment or drugs given to a patient by the Doctor.
I guess the last (hahha,maybe) thing I can say to you is.......
many of us DO NOT TRUST that OUR government will put in a plan that is a better option than reform could produce.
Can you understand that????

I can't help but keep wondering if you are a shill for 'who-knows-who'.
Otherwise, I can't understand your vociferous promoting for something which isn't of great benefit to you since you are covered by and so happy with your UK coverage.
You're just altruistic, yes?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Good point re: data mining.
It's also a good point about the site owners trotting out all the standard jingoistic symbols that the Base falls for time after time, cant get enough of -- Sean Hannity's producers have used it with his opening titles for years -- but better than that is the language they choose to reflect the Base in the "I wants," to get them to click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies