Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
I dont care who runs the health care, i just dont like that its for profit...life and death should never be for profit, pay the bills and the doctors and don't have publicly traded hospitals

well make it more affordable instead of trying to make money off it. the phamceutical industry is another who makes money by scaring citizens to take something they really dont need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:41 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
well make it more affordable instead of trying to make money off it. the phamceutical industry is another who makes money by scaring citizens to take something they really dont need
Very true.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
More serious problems in Britain's health care were reported last month, when cancer researchers announced that as many as 15,000 people over age 75 were dying prematurely from cancer every year. Experts said those deaths could have been avoided if those patients had been diagnosed and treated earlier.

Europe's Free Health Care Has a Hefty Price Tag (http://www.ahiphiwire.org/News/Default.aspx?doc_id=344069&utm_source=7/6/2009&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiWire_Newslett er&uid=TRACK_&page - broken link)

While our system is far from perfect, we must remember that UHC has its problems as well. This article points out some of the problems Britain ,France and Switzerland have been having.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCatholic View Post
Universal health care is a horrible idea. We have the worlds greatest health care system, bar none. Yes, it has problems, but they can be overcome. Those of you who drink the Obama Kool Aid and spout universal health care likely don't work (or work min. wage jobs) or are stupid. One of the two. Sorry to be blunt, but those of us who really work for a living and have busted our behinds to get where we are don't want to pay for your health needs. Go to school and get a good job, quit whining.
According to the WHO we have the 37th greatest health care system, behind all other industialized countries that have single-payer. Should I take this guy Roman Catholic's word that we have the world's greatest health care system or should I believe the WHO's report? Hmmmm tough decision, but I think I'm going with the experts on this one. Chile, a third world ****hole where 60-70% of the people are impovrished, of all places has a better health care system than the US. This comment comes from my personal observation and is backed by the WHO study as well. The Chilean health care system in a nutshell is what Obama and all other public option supporters are pushing, but is done with 5% of Chile's GDP compared to the 17% of our GDP that we spend on health care.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
According to the WHO we have the 37th greatest health care system, behind all other industialized countries that have single-payer. Should I take this guy Roman Catholic's word that we have the world's greatest health care system or should I believe the WHO's report? Hmmmm tough decision, but I think I'm going with the experts on this one. Chile, a third world ****hole where 60-70% of the people are impovrished, of all places has a better health care system than the US. This comment comes from my personal observation and is backed by the WHO study as well. The Chilean health care system in a nutshell is what Obama and all other public option supporters are pushing, but is done with 5% of Chile's GDP compared to the 17% of our GDP that we spend on health care.
The public plan is the only really effective way to control costs. Comparative effectiveness and health i.t. is not enough. We NEED the public plan to compete with the runaway private insurance companies so we can make it affordable and accessible to EVERY American regardless of preexisting conditions.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
More serious problems in Britain's health care were reported last month, when cancer researchers announced that as many as 15,000 people over age 75 were dying prematurely from cancer every year. Experts said those deaths could have been avoided if those patients had been diagnosed and treated earlier.

Europe's Free Health Care Has a Hefty Price Tag (http://www.ahiphiwire.org/News/Default.aspx?doc_id=344069&utm_source=7/6/2009&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HiWire_Newslett er&uid=TRACK_&page - broken link)

While our system is far from perfect, we must remember that UHC has its problems as well. This article points out some of the problems Britain ,France and Switzerland have been having.
Yes I read that same article a few days ago. I took the following quote from your article:
"The U.S. already spends the most worldwide on health care. According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the U.S. spent $7,290 per person in 2007, while Britain spent $2,992 and France spent $3,601".

I think that it the primary cause of France's and Brittain's problems is that they aren't spending enough money on health care. And France's system can't be too shabby It was rated the best system in the world according to a WHO study; this same study put the United States' system at #37. That should tell you something.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
The public plan is the only really effective way to control costs. Comparative effectiveness and health i.t. is not enough. We NEED the public plan to compete with the runaway private insurance companies so we can make it affordable and accessible to EVERY American regardless of preexisting conditions.
Yeah, that's basically what I'm trying to tell these people. I do think that single-payer is the best type of system, but having a public plan that competes with private insurance sure would be an improvement over what we have right now.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Yes I read that same article a few days ago. I took the following quote from your article:
"The U.S. already spends the most worldwide on health care. According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the U.S. spent $7,290 per person in 2007, while Britain spent $2,992 and France spent $3,601".

I think that it the primary cause of France's and Brittain's problems is that they aren't spending enough money on health care. And France's system can't be too shabby It was rated the best system in the world according to a WHO study; this same study put the United States' system at #37. That should tell you something.
No system is perfect, but to think that we spend double what most developed countries spend, don't cover 50 million people, and get worse outcomes is ridiculous!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 AM

351 posts, read 375,887 times
I never had any complaints about how the Govt. ran the armed forces when i was in them. You people give the Govt too little credit or faith. The armed forces would be a shambles in private hands. Our health system is a shambles in private hands. Stop using the Govt as a excuse for the failings of individuals and private companies.
Haven't you seen the private sectors going to the Govt to save them?
The Govt only O.K. when you fail?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 AM

81 posts, read 289,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiana View Post
ask any private insurance holder who has had medical procedures denied how the insurance companies don't interfere.

amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies