Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times

Advertisements

We need to stick to the agreements that are already signed with Iraq - and get the h_e_l_l out of there by 2011...

I still think there is a high probability that a civil war between the Kurds and the rest of the country can break out - probably more fighting between Sunnis and Shias too...

We should leave while things are relatively quiet - and let them determine their own future from here on in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
I am happy about them taking over Baghdad... but come on... praising Obama for promises. He keeps pushing the date back... currently troops will be out by the end of 2011... quite far from his original promise.

Not to mention all the other promises... gay rights, openness, having a smart VP
That's exactly what I was trying to say on this thread last night. As someone who voted for Obama, donated money to Obama and spent a month volunteering for Obama, whenever he doesn't carry out promises (ending the war in Iraq in 16 months, curbing excessive executive compensation, halting home foreclosures, standing up for Main street instead of Wall street, re-negociating free trade agreements to incorporate environmental and labor protections) I let him know what I expect from him, what I did for him and that he will have to carry out the progressive reforms that he promised if he wants me to do it all over again in 2012 when he runs for re-election and I urge you to do the same.

I think that Obama is a good man, with alot of good ideas and some really bad ones as well. What alot of progressives don't seem to understand is that we haven't won the fight to change America: we're in it. The Republican party, as well as some conservative Democrats, are intent on obstructing Obama's best ideas, hoping that he will accept a watered down version, just as he did with this climate change bill. There are right-wing, corporate lobbyists all over Washington urging Obama at every moment to break or water down his progressive campaign promises. We need to hold Obama's feet to the fire and remind him that without us, he wouldn't be president and that he needs to ignore these right-wing nutjobs and corporate lobbyists and do what we elected him to do.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Fireworks over Baghdad as Iraqis take over cities - wtop.com

I'm so happy for the Iraqi people. May their country thrive and prosper.

And thank you, President Obama, for keeping your word and pulling combat troops out, so Iraq can begin healing from the damage we caused to their country when we stormed in and started bombing them and shooting them up into smithereens.

And one last thanks, to all the men and women in uniform who served. I don't have to agree with the mission to appreciate your dedication. I can support you without supporting the war you were ordered into.
Sorry to burst your bubble, Jill, but Obama had nothing to do with the withdrawal of U. S. troops from Iraqi cities. This was done pursuant to the Status of Forces agreement signed last December between the Iraqi government and the Bush administration. That agreement also provides for the complete pull out of combat troops from Iraq by 2011, I believe. So no credit goes to Obama for any of this. Indeed if Obama had had his way the surge would not have happened and Iraq would be in total shambles right now.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, Jill, but Obama had nothing to do with the withdrawal of U. S. troops from Iraqi cities. This was done pursuant to the Status of Forces agreement signed last December between the Iraqi government and the Bush administration. That agreement also provides for the complete pull out of combat troops from Iraq by 2011, I believe. So no credit goes to Obama for any of this. Indeed if Obama had had his way the surge would not have happened and Iraq would be in total shambles right now.

Yet another person who understands. Thank you.

Bush is a hero and Obama is a bumbling fool for voting against the surge and AGAINST FUNDING our troops.

The best observation here is Obama is always wrong, them man never gets a damn thing right.

Libs are funny because they know Obama is screwing up America and they rush in and try to grab credit for something Obama was dead against, freedom of millions of Iraqi people from a dictator.

When Obama gets something right we will make sure he gets credit, but as of right now seems like he will never get anything right.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Talk about Ironic.

The same people who criticize the effort of the Bush administration to liberate the Iraqi people are the ones who congratulate Obama for the end result. Seriously?

The simple fact that the Iraqi people are in the streets celebrating under firework lit skys while enjoying their freedom to assemble and live a life full of inalienable rights is a direct result of the actions of the Bush administration and the hard work of our armed forces.

Funny, back when this all started, I supported the effort to remove Saddam Hussain from power and to liberate the Iraqi people and provide a strong democratic stronghold in the region. The left said we were wrong, it would never work, we could never be successful, there would never be peace, we are killing all of the innocent people etc. etc. Infact, some said "if there is ever a day where the Iraqi people are free and enjoy the same civil liberties as me, Ill change my mind and congratulate the effort by Bush". Well, here we are, watching the Iraqi people celebrate their democracy, their freedom, and some of the partisan hacks wanna say "good job Obama".

For those of us that don't have left and right goggles on, the Iraqi armed forces has been holding down the security of that country for well over a year now. Under Bush, US troops were removed as the circumstances allowed, and the Iraqi government was able to stand up on their own. Giving Obama the credit for removing the rest of the troops under the ideal conditions guaranteed by past actions, while continuing to slander the Bush administration, makes some of you truely look like fools.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Talk about Ironic.

The same people who criticize the effort of the Bush administration to liberate the Iraqi people are the ones who congratulate Obama for the end result. Seriously?

its funny...same people here padding Bush on back for this are the ones blaming Obama to the current economy....

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
That's exactly what I was trying to say on this thread last night. As someone who voted for Obama, donated money to Obama and spent a month volunteering for Obama, whenever he doesn't carry out promises (ending the war in Iraq in 16 months, curbing excessive executive compensation, halting home foreclosures, standing up for Main street instead of Wall street, re-negociating free trade agreements to incorporate environmental and labor protections) I let him know what I expect from him, what I did for him and that he will have to carry out the progressive reforms that he promised if he wants me to do it all over again in 2012 when he runs for re-election and I urge you to do the same.

I think that Obama is a good man, with alot of good ideas and some really bad ones as well. What alot of progressives don't seem to understand is that we haven't won the fight to change America: we're in it. The Republican party, as well as some conservative Democrats, are intent on obstructing Obama's best ideas, hoping that he will accept a watered down version, just as he did with this climate change bill. There are right-wing, corporate lobbyists all over Washington urging Obama at every moment to break or water down his progressive campaign promises. We need to hold Obama's feet to the fire and remind him that without us, he wouldn't be president and that he needs to ignore these right-wing nutjobs and corporate lobbyists and do what we elected him to do.

I think that you forget that the progressives are a minority in this country. The right and the conservative left voting for Obama is what put him into office. Claiming that Obama "watering down" versions of bills with a hefty left leaning is abondoning the progressive is seeing the situation from only one perspective. Obama is in office because people felt that he would be a left leaning moderate... which he is.

Sorry to disappoint that the facts show that the progressives or their ideaologies is not why Obama is president.

Last edited by jcarlilesiu; 06-30-2009 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Bush is a hero
I actually spilled my coffee when I read this. It never ceases to amaze me how dedicated the right is to rehabilitating Bush's image. Face it folks, Bush was an abject failure in every sense as President. His administration was akin to a national train wreck. Let's not kid ourselves.

As for the "Bush is a hero" comment... that's an insult to everyone who served. Bush and Rumsfeld both deserve to be put on trial for what they did to our military. Calling any of those clowns a hero is just wrong.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
Uh. This may be a newsflash to some of you..but this was the Bush aggreement reached with the Iraqi gov't. Maybe you should get your facts straight. And by the way, the brave soldiers serving in Iraq do believe in the mission. That is why they are an all volunteer military fighting a war that they believe in. So saying you support the troops but not the war is politically correct...but disingenuine at best.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
its funny...same people here padding Bush on back for this are the ones blaming Obama to the current economy....
define:red herring - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies