Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We did not have English teachers in my school, they were out side showing kids how to play bassskeeetball.
well that explains a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Well, no one can say I didn't try to dial down the snark.

One of is is being intellectually dishonest, and that's the person who said they'd give everything they own to anyone currently living who had been a (southern) slave, who then backpedaled and tried to redefine the terms when two such people were brought to his attention.

Hasta.
Still don't get it, do you.

Where these women held with the blessings of the state?

If they escaped to town, would people call the sherriff FOR them, or to have them returned to their "owner".

If they ecaped over state lines, would they then be hunted by bounty hunters?

Again, YOU are the one twisting to fit, not I.

This thread is about reparations for the legal institution of slavery as existed prior to 1865.

Attempting to shoehorn in indentured servitude (if it actually occured) during the 20th century into that catagory is like attempting to use modern sex-slaves, as you so graciously offered not to include (he says sarcastically).

Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Still don't get it, do you.

Where these women held with the blessings of the state?

If they escaped to town, would people call the sherriff FOR them, or to have them returned to their "owner".

If they ecaped over state lines, would they then be hunted by bounty hunters?

Again, YOU are the one twisting to fit, not I.

This thread is about reparations for the legal institution of slavery as existed prior to 1865.

Attempting to shoehorn in indentured servitude (if it actually occured) during the 20th century into that catagory is like attempting to use modern sex-slaves, as you so graciously offered not to include (he says sarcastically).
Indentured servitude in the 20th century? 18th and maybe 19th yea. The first 'slaves' in the colonies were actually indentured servants. They were treated no better than black slaves either. Difference is, I guess, that they signed a contract to enter into their bondage in return for passage from England to the Colonies rather than being caught by neighboring tribes with more warriors or Arab traders allied with the same.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indentured servitude in the 20th century? 18th and maybe 19th yea. The first 'slaves' in the colonies were actually indentured servants. They were treated no better than black slaves either. Difference is, I guess, that they signed a contract to enter into their bondage in return for passage from England to the Colonies rather than being caught by neighboring tribes with more warriors or Arab traders allied with the same.
"Peonage" is another word for indentured servitude. This is what a few sources offered have called it as exampled in the past century.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Because my Great Great Great Great Grandmother was never able to collect his $10.00 a month pension for fighting in the civil war as his widow...And I've seen the papers on it... So Now Please Pay Up...
Why not? What prevented her from collecting? You've seen the papers? What papers? What do they say?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 PM

62 posts, read 173,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Difference- the native americans owned the country. We took it from them.

As my ancestors fought in the American Revolution (one died) and we have had ancestors who fought in every US conflict, do we get reparations for freeing the slaves? Two died in the civil war.

Gimme, gimme, gimme. The US gave everyone something that no other country has- freedom and the ability to prosper and advance yourself. Stop whining and get to work. Handouts are for beggars. I would note that approving "reparations" would probably result in a second civil war.
Just because your ancestors fought for the Union/ U.S. during the Civil War does not mean they were doing so to "free the slaves". Most Union soldiers were fighting to keep the country together; not because they were trying to end slavery. Most Confederate soldiers were fighting to defend their respective states from northern invaders; not because they were trying to keep slavery. In other words most Civil War soldiers, on both sides, were fighting more for their region or state. Many, again on both sides, did not care about slavery one way or another...

Btw, my ancestors also fought in those wars.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well how do you determine who gets reparations even ? One would just give it to those slave decendants that lived in the south correct ? Since the north didn't practice slavery, those people in the north and their decendants are not entitled to any money, right again ?

Makes for a very interesting dilema ...who actually would get paid.
There was no slavery in the northern states west of Pennsylvania. But all the northern colonies from Penn to NH certainly had slavery; they just abolished it early on.

Slavery in the North

Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Alternatively, shouldn't Great Britain have to make the reparations, since they were the ones who started bringing slaves to this continent?
I am pretty sure that it was the Dutch who introduced slavery to the New World.
And slavery in the U.S. - even the South - was a drop in the bucket compared to the slavery that existed in central and south America. The Spanish and Portuguese brought over many more slaves (something like 10X more) than did the British or Dutch to the New World.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
"Peonage" is another word for indentured servitude. This is what a few sources offered have called it as exampled in the past century.
Hmmm, I had always equated 'peon' as a term coined in Mexico during the 19th century. Earlier 19th century. Under the French. Maximilian Mexico. The two M's helped me remember the period for history tests in school. The word equates ,roughly , with 'serf' I guess. Taxed to death people , scratching out a living at the whim of an aristocracy, treated little better than livestock.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
There was no slavery in the northern states west of Pennsylvania. But all the northern colonies from Penn to NH certainly had slavery; they just abolished it early on.

Slavery in the North
Even tho it was abolished in NYS in 1853, there are nearly 10,000 slaves listed on the tax roles working the NYC docks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies