Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think the leading cause of liver damage in the US (or the world for that matter) is alcohol abuse, and not tylenol.
Part of the problem could be combining acetaminophen with large amounts of alcohol. I'd bet anything that was the case with some of these people who died.

The label says "If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should tae acetaminophen or other pain relievers or fever reducers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The ingredient list on the bottle has acetaminophen listed as the only "active ingredient" and has it highlighted in yellow, to make clear that Tylenol is in fact acetaminophen.

The label also says "Do not use with any other product containing acetaminophen."
Yep, but people don't bother to read it. Which is why they'll move to the black box label that's pretty much unavoidable to miss.

I can tell you right now, Tylenol will not be removed from the shelves.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think the leading cause of liver damage in the US (or the world for that matter) is alcohol abuse, and not tylenol.

You might be onto something! Actually the big risk to taking tylenol is using it concomitantly with alcohol. Even a moderate drinker can become liver toxic while using the two together. On the other hand it is rare to incur liver toxicity with acetaminophen with a NORMAL liver, IF taking the proper dosage. Nothing magical. So many people cannot or will not read the directions, and are imbibing along with their medications.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I think another problem is, as mentioned in previous post, that people don't realize that Acetaminophen and Tylenol are the same thing.
All one needs to do is read the bottle to realize this. It really boils down to the fact that people aren't paying attention, they're not reading the labels, and then they suffer as a result of their actions. Just as somebody in my work has a bad reaction to caffeine, then took Excedrin for a headache.

And in the end, it's because some people don't care enough to read what they put in their bodies that the government feels the need to step in and protect us from ourselves.

Quote:
The label says "If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should tae acetaminophen or other pain relievers or fever reducers."
Yup, and I'd be willing to wager that many thought, "It can't happen to me".

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Because we are way to stupid to know ourselves
Apparently.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yep, but people don't bother to read it. Which is why they'll move to the black box label that's pretty much unavoidable to miss.
Except the black box label is usually on the little piece of paper you get with a prescription. If they put the warnings on the bottle surrounded by a black box, that would be one thing. But if they put it on a separate piece of paper, even less people will read it.

I think the yellow highlighting does enough to make clear that Tylenol is acetaminophen. As far as the warnings about why acetaminophen is dangerous, I wouldn't mind them being highlighted as well or being placed in a black box on the bottle. Putting them on a separate piece of paper, OTOH, would solve nothing.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Except the black box label is usually on the little piece of paper you get with a prescription. If they put the warnings on the bottle surrounded by a black box, that would be one thing. But, if they put it on a separate piece of paper, even less people will read it.

I think the yellow highlighting does enough to make clear that Tylenol is acetaminophen.
No, they put it directly on the packaging for some products. That's what they'd do with Tylenol.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently.
Since we are all going to be on the government healthcare program, Bam wants to keep tight control on what we take in...and every other aspect of our healthcare needs. Might end up costing Dr. Obama a pretty penny for millions of idiots who don't know how to properly take care of themselves.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Apparently it isn't safe, even if taken as directed:

"A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association determined that it only takes TWO WEEKS for healthy adults to sustain liver damage from acetaminophen use. The study involved 106 people taking 4 grams of acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol, Excedrin and other pain killers) a day for two weeks. Four grams is the maximum daily dose recommended by the manufacturer, so we're not even talking about an "abuse" situation here.
Not one person who received the placebo showed any signs of liver damage. The people taking acetaminophen, however, started having abnormal liver test results—an indication of damage."

Acetaminophen Liver Damage

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Since we are all going to be on the government healthcare program, Bam wants to keep tight control on what we take in...and every other aspect of our healthcare needs. Might end up costing Dr. Obama a pretty penny for millions of idiots who don't know how to properly take care of themselves.
This is exactly how the FDA has worked for decades. Nothing different is happening. When there is a high incidence of a problem with a drug, there is always a panel discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies