Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One way to find out if treatment is working is to do these studies.

You might THINK you can cover your daughter's surgery on your own, but you might be surprised how much a "simple" surgery can cost, let alone if complications arise.

You're fortunate about the pre-existing conditions issue. My daughter is going to be kicked off our insurance when she graduates in August and she has had melanoma. I don't know what we are going to do.

The baby was not "denied" treatment. The provincial health service placed him/her in Buffalo.

We have been talking about UHC since the Truman presidency. It's time to get moving.

I'm not sure if you missed it, but this she was denied treatment in Canada. It is simply because the US doesn't have UHC that a bed was available here. What happens under UHC when this happens next time. Where does that baby go?

"after she was turned away for treatment at local facility"

"A provincewide search for an open neonatal intensive care unit bed came up empty, leaving no choice but to send the two pound, four ounce baby to Buffalo"

Why does it have to be done by the end of summer? How about a national discussion on this. Not an Obama infomercial but a real live honest to God open discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Are you kidding me, that is your response? The US can't save everybody so it doesn't make a difference? Very sad.

I thought you said no systme is perfect but you expect perfection from the US. Face it the NHS isn't what you think it is.
No i am not the one saying that i expect the USA's health system to be perfect..that is impossible in any Health System. What i AM saying is that the American sytem is failing millions of Americans. A UHC would stop that happening. I would also love to know the figures of people in America who die of cancer but are not in the statistics because they could NOT afford the treatment. I bet they would change those stats. Many die in America because they have no cover and do not go to a Doctor because they simply cannot afford it. These people fall between the cracks. That is Disgusting in the richest nation on earth.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We pay for our UHC and we also like to know that there is some kind of check made on spending. No one likes to think of drugs being denied but some drugs are extremely expensive with no guarantee that they are any better than existing drugs. To pay for new drugs just because they might increase a life by two year, and i say MIGHT, is not a good idea. Americans always complain about overspending by the Govt. When A govt. gets advice from the Doctors about a new drug and its viability, they take their advice. The Govt do not just decide on whether to pay for a drug or not they are advised by the medical professionals.

So wait a minute, you said no one is denied quality healthcare under UHC. So that was wrong. You then said the physician makes decisions about patient treatment, not governemnt, that was wrong (from that article it certainly sounded like the medical professionals were upset). Again I don't think NHS is what you think it is.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
The US system isn't as bad as advertised, the European system isn't as good as advertised. We are rushing head long into playing with 16% of the economy. It makes sense to take it slow, keep an open mind and get it right.

God knows how many UK residents die due to inferior cancer care.
This post is an example of wisdom.
Pure and simple.

Slow allows to much time for examination.
Getting it right means gaining as much political power
as possible by slinging that 16%. Even if it kills you.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
No i am not the one saying that i expect the USA's health system to be pefect..that is impossible in any Health System. What i AM saying is that the American sytem is failing millions of Americans. A UHC would stop that happening. I would also love to know the figures of people in America who die of cancer but are not in the statistics because they could NOT afford the treatment. I bet they would change those stats. Many die in America because they have no cover and do not go to a Doctor because they simply cannot afford it. These people fall between the cracks. That is Disgusting in the richest nation on earth.

So is the UK system (failing millions) no system is prefect.

You make statements you can't support.

Many uninsured are healthy young people who feel invulnerable and don't want to have it deducted from their paychecks and illegal aliens.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So is the UK system no system is prefect.

Many uninsured are healthy young people who feel invulnerable and don't want to have it deducted from their paychecks and illegal aliens.
Approx. 27,000 people die every year in America due to no health cover...that is not the young, healthy, just uninsured Americans. Many of those might have been saved with a UHC. Oh well they aren't important. They are only important if they can pay the Insurance Premiums.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
So is the UK system (failing millions) no system is prefect.

Show me where the UK system is failing millions.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Approx. 27,000 people die every year in America due to no health cover...that is not the young, healthy, just uninsured Americans. Many of those might have been saved with a UHC. Oh well they aren't important. They are only important if they can pay the Insurance Premiums.

OK no we are getting into some sensible numbers. Clearly not millions. Now support it.
Even if that we the case I think every American would agree to buying health insurance for 27,00 people much cheaper and less upset than changiong healt ccare for 300,000,000 Americans!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Blue Herald » 27,000 Preventable Deaths In America Each Year

Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Show me where the UK system is failing millions.

I was engaged in the same hyperbole you were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies