U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:06 PM

14,969 posts, read 15,297,566 times

Advertisements

"State run media"? Good lord. Another tinfoil theorist....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 PM

3,288 posts, read 4,208,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
So do you admit that CNN was in the tank for Bush during his administration? It would only follow from your calling them state-run media.
I would assume as much, every news corporation was trying to get on the good side of the Iraq war. It is (seriously) called the Fox News effect, it's like everyone forgot what happened like 6 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
"State run media"? Good lord. Another tinfoil theorist....
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Media/Gov't/Corporate Interests tend to work together to some degree. State Run Media is a stretch (we're not Iran), but it's not a stretch to say American Media is propaganda heavy.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 PM

24,629 posts, read 26,574,881 times
Default Rumsfeld and Propaganda

Again, you blame Obama for Bush administration realities...
Denial just doesn't work; give it up.

Rumsfeld's Roadmap to Propaganda
Rumsfeld's Roadmap to Propaganda

Secret Pentagon "roadmap" calls for "boundaries"
between "information operations" abroad and at home
but provides no actual limits as long as US doesn't "target" Americans

National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 177

Washington, D.C., January 26, 2006 - A secret Pentagon "roadmap" on war propaganda, personally approved by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld in October 2003, calls for "boundaries" between information operations abroad and the news media at home, but provides for no such limits and claims that as long as the American public is not "targeted," any leakage of PSYOP to the American public does not matter.
________
Rummy Resurfaces, Calls for U.S. Propaganda Agency (Updated Again) | Danger Room | Wired.com

Rummy Resurfaces, Calls for U.S. Propaganda Agency (Updated Again)

* By Sharon Weinberger Email Author
* January 23, 2008

Back in 2001, the Pentagon under his leadership created the controversial Office of Strategic Influence, which was closed down just a few months later after its existence became public. Rightly or wrongly, the Pentagon was accused of creating a propaganda office.
_______
Office of Strategic Influence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The OSI would have been a center for the creation of propaganda materials, for the stated purpose of misleading enemy forces or foreign civilian populations. After information on the office spread through US and foreign media in mid February 2002, intense discussions on purpose and scope of the office were reported. The discussions culminated in a public statement by Rumsfeld in late February that the office has been closed down.
________

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,400,412 times
Propaganda has been used by every administration who ever led this country - and in every other country, as well.

And if it isn't propaganda - then its "spin" - the oldest trick in the politician's repertoire.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM

But Rumsfeld had an agency for his propaganda.

I'm trying to show the OP that this is not an Obama issue.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,400,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But Rumsfeld had an agency for his propaganda.

I'm trying to show the OP that this is not an Obama issue.
I agree that Obama's admin is not the first to use the media (or to carefully manipulate how info is disbursed to the public) . . . but I have been watching Presidents for 40 years now and I have never seen an Administration this determined to censor what gets on the airwaves. Obama also talks in coded language. He is an extremely intelligent man and with his background as an attorney, he knows how to parse his words . . . and I have noticed that people THINK they know what he is saying, but they really don't.

For example, Obama said over and over that he was going to "level the playing field" so that all Americans could participate in what this country had to offer.

It appears most people heard that and thought - "Great! That means that my voice will be heard!" But I heard it and I thought "Redistribute wealth - this is simply coded language for "redistributing wealth" and creating government jobs so that massive numbers of people can get on the gravy train.

I believe I heard something different than most people heard. Yet, we all heard the same thing. The man is damn good w/ word play.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM

11,501 posts, read 14,320,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Yeah...CNN...Happy Days are here again....lol

U.S. private sector sheds 473,000 jobs in June

U.S. private sector sheds 473,000 jobs in June - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-private-sector-sheds-rb-3501392484.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&cc ode - broken link)=

Oh wait, he was suppose to create 5 million NEW jobs and in one month he lost 1/2 million and now is approaching 1 MILLION LOST jobs thanks to him.

Sure typical libs to day said, well, we expected May to be a lot more jobs losses then we had, so that is a good thing.

No loons, it is not a good thing, your leader said he could create millions of new jobs and now needs to create 6 millions NEW jobs just to break even.

Never going to happen with his ridiculous policies.

OBAMA JOB COUNT

- 6 million jobs
, that's minus 6 million jobs.

Way to go moron.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM

11,501 posts, read 14,320,404 times
Oh by the way just as a posted more then week ago, he will use the media to soften down and hide bad information and fudge information and numbers to build up things that do not mean crap.

Here we are in a near depression caused by Obama and the liberal congress and they are still talking about M. Jackson on Cap Hill.

Get the hell to work you bunch of loons, you caused this mess now get your sorry butts to work.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,820,953 times
Quote:
"State run media"? Good lord. Another tinfoil theorist...
....Yeah I guess so... ;-)

NY City Apartment Sales Down More Than 50%....yup...upbeat news out there....lol

NY City Apartment Sales Down Over 50%: Reports - Real Estate * US * News * Story - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/31703460 - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree that Obama's admin is not the first to use the media (or to carefully manipulate how info is disbursed to the public) . . . but I have been watching Presidents for 40 years now and I have never seen an Administration this determined to censor what gets on the airwaves. Obama also talks in coded language. He is an extremely intelligent man and with his background as an attorney, he knows how to parse his words . . . and I have noticed that people THINK they know what he is saying, but they really don't.

For example, Obama said over and over that he was going to "level the playing field" so that all Americans could participate in what this country had to offer.

It appears most people heard that and thought - "Great! That means that my voice will be heard!" But I heard it and I thought "Redistribute wealth - this is simply coded language for "redistributing wealth" and creating government jobs so that massive numbers of people can get on the gravy train.

I believe I heard something different than most people heard. Yet, we all heard the same thing. The man is damn good w/ word play.
Then you paid no attention to the 8 years of Bush administration.
They were pretty damned manipulative.
So is everyone in that position.
Weapons of mass destruction is the biggest lie told in decades.
Your bias is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies