Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Sorry. I'm just not convinced. It isn't possible. The other way around, however, is entirly possible.
How is it that someone can turn republican & NOT turn democrat? That sounds hypocritical to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Right. You're as phony as they come. In talk radio, you would be known as a "seminar caller".

Let me add just this one point: It would be extremely rare for someone who was a Republican (in other words, primarily "conservative" in their thinking) to make a 180 degree turn and become a liberl.

Sorry. I'm just not convinced. It isn't possible. The other way around, however, is entirly possible.
It might be suspect if this person were a brand new poster who didn't participate in the political discussions here before. But that isn't the case.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Good for you. While I doubt that I would switch to democrat, I am appalled by some of the statements made by republicans and have noticed an ugly side surfacing. Although I will always remain conservative, at least in the social sense, I do find myself becoming more moderate fiscally. I honestly don't see the republicans or democrats as representing our country's best interests. What we really need is are some good independent candidates who actually will work to serve the people versus special interests.
I understand where you are coming from when you say you will remain conservative. I am not going to come on here and declare myself a liberal. Now THAT would be the work of a phoney. But I think you can find the error of a given party's ways and move on from them without changing everything about your life.

I have had exchanges with a few posters here that have helped me realize that what I thought was right may not have been right afterall. The problems we are dealing with in this country at this point are bigger than worrying about who marries who or who paints what mural in the square. It's time to concentrate on the things that really matter.

How can we debate over whether or not a couple should be allowed to marry when their next door neighbors have lost their jobs and are close to losing their homes? I fell for that before, but I won't make that mistake again.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It might be suspect if this person were a brand new poster who didn't participate in the political discussions here before. But that isn't the case.
You know, I think the last two threads I posted in here before I took a break were defending the Obamas trip to NYC and defending the painting in Union Square that had many Republicans freaking out. I have been very active in a sports forum on C-D that I will stay active in because it's been fun. This can be fun too, but it's not my real passion. Having said that, I'm still the kind of person that doesn't shy away from admitting when they got something wrong, and I got a lot wrong here.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Well it's a good thing I don't listen to talk radio then, as I have posted time and time again.

Call me anything you want to call me. You NEED my vote because you need EVERY vote right now... And you don't have it.

You call me names, and I'll enjoy the progress we are starting to make that we haven't made in years... Deal???
Is a high unemployment rate (higher than it's been sinc the Jimmy Carter years) "progress"?

Is massive debt, "progress"?

Is massive job loss, "progress"?

Is government takeover of our industries (nationalization), "progress"?

Is is "prgress" when our government impliments plans that will increase our energy rates (electricity bill) by thousands of dollars/year?

Is it "progress" when we begin using food for fuel?

Is it "progress" when we force the cost of construction of a home to levels that most people cannot afford, through government mandates on building codes?

Sorry. I see no progress at all.

Some of us (which is probably most Americans) are going to be back to candles as a light source, because we can no longer afford electricity, under Obama's "plan".

This isn't "progress". It is returning us to the dark ages.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
I'll bet there aren't too many people who will start a thread like this one.

Anyway, I decided to stay away from this forum (I did post on some C-D sports forums) over the last couple of months.

I decided to take a long, hard look at the things that I was posting as well as the other things that were being posted on here.

And I was wrong about a lot of things. I tried to cling to something that I thought was right, because it is hard to admit you have been wrong. I posted things in frustration that I now know I shouldn't have, and my time away from here has been quite refreshing for me. My comments on a lot of the issues here were out of line. But change is in the air, and I can change too.

And today, I became a Democrat. It's the best thing I have ever done. I like some of the progress I am seeing right now. It's not going to happen overnight, but good things are happening, and changes did need to be made. The Republican party was too busy treading water to make the changes that needed to be made for our country to be great again. I cannot and will not support that.

I have always said on this forum that in spite of everything I do respect President Obama. I was willing to give him that much when others who didn't vote for him would not. I'm glad I did. I like what he is doing, and I hope he keeps up the good work.

And to those who will respond and tell me that the Republican party doesn't need me, I offer a very firm "Yes they do. But they won't have me again, at least not for now."

I didn't give up on the GOP. The GOP gave up on us. I am happily moving on.
Kudos. Welcome to the dark side.

j/k.

I've been wrong about things too.
I've been wrong about the US military.
Although I find this war despicable, the troops have my greatest respect.
They are doing the best they can with a bad situation, and they are very selfless and brave.
I have judged them wrongly in the past.

That's the beauty of the internet. You get to talk to people from other walks of life, and sometimes, you change your mind about things.
It's all part of growing into a more enlightened person.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Is a high unemployment rate (higher than it's been sinc the Jimmy Carter years) "progress"?

Is massive debt, "progress"?

Is massive job loss, "progress"?

Is government takeover of our industries (nationalization), "progress"?

Is is "prgress" when our government impliments plans that will increase our energy rates (electricity bill) by thousands of dollars/year?

Is it "progress" when we begin using food for fuel?

Is it "progress" when we force the cost of construction of a home to levels that most people cannot afford, through government mandates on building codes?

Sorry. I see no progress at all.

Some of us (which is probably most Americans) are going to be back to candles as a light source, because we can no longer afford electricity, under Obama's "plan".

This isn't "progress". It is returning us to the dark ages.
So which of the legitimate problems you have addressed started this past January?

None of them.

FYI: I live in a very expensive city, and my electric bills have gone down in the last few months as opposed to years past.

I used to bring a lot of drama to this forum too, but the reality is most of us are using candles on birthday cakes.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
I'll bet there aren't too many people who will start a thread like this one.

Anyway, I decided to stay away from this forum (I did post on some C-D sports forums) over the last couple of months.

I decided to take a long, hard look at the things that I was posting as well as the other things that were being posted on here.

And I was wrong about a lot of things. I tried to cling to something that I thought was right, because it is hard to admit you have been wrong. I posted things in frustration that I now know I shouldn't have, and my time away from here has been quite refreshing for me. My comments on a lot of the issues here were out of line. But change is in the air, and I can change too.

And today, I became a Democrat. It's the best thing I have ever done. I like some of the progress I am seeing right now. It's not going to happen overnight, but good things are happening, and changes did need to be made. The Republican party was too busy treading water to make the changes that needed to be made for our country to be great again. I cannot and will not support that.

I have always said on this forum that in spite of everything I do respect President Obama. I was willing to give him that much when others who didn't vote for him would not. I'm glad I did. I like what he is doing, and I hope he keeps up the good work.

And to those who will respond and tell me that the Republican party doesn't need me, I offer a very firm "Yes they do. But they won't have me again, at least not for now."

I didn't give up on the GOP. The GOP gave up on us. I am happily moving on.
Bring the content you have always been a reasonable guy and you and I usually found a middle ground. I also believe good things are happening and we need to support the efforts to change things. I think that your support for what is attempting to be done is even more important that your party affiliation.
I don't think that it was about you being wrong before or truly having a change in the way you view things. I think that the Repulican party is just farther from your beliefs than the democrats are at this point in time. Only time will tell if it stays that way, but I'm glad to see you supporting what some in our government is attempting to do. Either way Bring the content, I hope that you remain happy with your choice, I know it couldn't have been easy.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Congrats, BringTheContent!

As several other posters have acknowledged, I have been wrong about some things, too. I think one of the problems I see on CD Politics and Other Controversies is there are some people who will NEVER admit they are wrong, even when it's staring them in the face.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I am new here but it takes a lot of courage to admit one is wrong and compromise for the greater good. PS I'm looking forward to football season.... lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies