Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of this?

New York City Council, Bloomberg at Odds Over Call for Muslim School Holidays - Political News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
I personally feel that if there is a large population of whatever religion, they too should have their days off as christians do. I'm an atheist, yet I get those certain holidays off, paid. Hey, I'm not complaining, yet if I were of a certain religion that had holidays different than the christian holidays, I would not get those days off paid.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I personally feel that if there is a large population of whatever religion, they too should have their days off as christians do. I'm an atheist, yet I get those certain holidays off, paid. Hey, I'm not complaining, yet if I were of a certain religion that had holidays different than the christian holidays, I would not get those days off paid.
I too am an atheist, so religious holidays are nothing more than a paid day off for me.

When I asked what do you all think, I was mainly referring to the claim in the article about too many religious holidays shortening the school year too much. After awhile, it could get to be overkill. Perhaps there should be no more religious holidays?

Just pondering...not suggesting.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,280 times
NOPE not a chance in hell
So we are to honor the religon that killed how many on 911
If so what about
Wicka and Witchcraft followers

Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
The issue is more about how the added holidays will affect the length school year and less about the religion in question. This could have an impact on school budgets.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
NOPE not a chance in hell
So we are to honor the religon that killed how many on 911
If so what about
Wicka and Witchcraft followers
The people killed on 9/11, not the religion.

Religion can be misinterpreted to do harm, just like anything else. Just look at the Crusades and the Inquisition.

To the topic at hand:

If you give people off for Christian holidays, you should give people off for other religious holidays.

It's either all or nothing.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
The people killed on 9/11, not the religion.

Religion can be misinterpreted to do harm, just like anything else. Just look at the Crusades and the Inquisition.

To the topic at hand:

If you give people off for Christian holidays, you should give people off for other religious holidays.

It's either all or nothing.
Cancel them all except the 4th of July and make them take annual leave.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Cancel them all except the 4th of July and make them take annual leave.
Personally, I think all schools should follow the "Year Round" model.

A few months on, with 2 weeks vacation in between the "semesters".

Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM

316 posts, read 596,227 times
Jews use prayer and peace to accomplish what need be done. No one is frightened into assiting that religion, nor do they have cause for fear.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't know. Maybe they should just set breaks during the school year that make sense, rather than take time off for specific holidays, and give everyone a certain number of days they can take off for whatever reasons they want. I have no trouble breaking the mold and rethinking the whole schedule without taking any religious holidays into consideration. Year round school is the best idea ever. Yeah people will yell and scream about "traditions" and "persecution" and "descrimination"....but in a generation nobody will care. Really. People only care when things CHANGE in their lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies