Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Why should any of us trust government numbers? Have we not been down this road before?

Government touts the numbers, convinces the people, passes the bill, program is implemented, costs are higher than projected, program deficits are not addressed by congress, coffers are raided for other programs, taxes are raised, .....repeat, repeat, repeat.

Are we as a nation really this dumb? The answer apparently is a resounding yes, and it's bankrupting us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
And how much did we spend in Iraq?
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/images/smilies/offtopic.gif (broken link) And its your own thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Sweet deal for business. $750 a year fee instead of average of $1,000 per month premium. Gee, do you think businesses will stop offering health insurance now?
And of course the businesses will have to cut payroll for each employee in order to pay for the cost. Yeah, it wont be all at once, but people will begin to get lower payraises etc..

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,118 times
Funny that cost goes down, coverage goes up, and still half the posts are complaining, tinfoil type posts.
Its ok to be happy when you hear good news.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It sounds more like a benefit to big business to me
Wal Mart comes to mind...

Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Funny that cost goes down, coverage goes up, and still half the posts are complaining, tinfoil type posts.
Its ok to be happy when you hear good news.
Do you really think this is full medical coverage? I mean really? You think that $60,000,000,000 a year will insure 97% of americans 100%? Then tell me why the SCHIP program cost $40 Billion to insure just 2% of the population? This program will cover 50+ times as many (290,000,000 individuals) for just 50% more than the cost of the SCHIP program (i.e. $20 Billion more). Wow, thats some cost savings and obviously some math somewhere is wrong. I do note the story doesnt list what type of "medical coverage" 97% of americans would have..

Last edited by pghquest; 07-02-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Much better than the first attempt. I am glad to see that the CBO number crunchers are able to show that a public option could be less expensive while insuring almost everyone.

I'd like to see some more detail though - who are the 3% who wouldn't be covered?

And why only $750 per employee? That doesn't create any incentive for companies to offer insurance. If anything, it sounds like it would be an incentive to NOT offer it. That's a lot less than companies are paying now.

Anyway, definitely moving in the right direction.
I agree wholeheartedly. Better, but not quite there yet, especially with the low fine.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
The government is Oh so good at predicting future costs.

"In 1964, the Johnson administration projected that Medicare would cost $12 billion by 1990. The chart shows that the actual figure was close to $113 billion"

Read more: http://social.jrank.org/pages/1131/Senior-Health-Price-We-Pay-Health-Care-Senior-Citizens.html#ixzz0K7yjtGIl&C

Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I guess it depends on what you define as waste? Tax Payers dollars funding an illegal and unnecessary war = Waste... Tax Payers Dollars funding Infrastructure Projects, HealthCare Reform = Investment. You see the logic?
I am sorry, but I really don't. I honestly don't understand how it is any of the government's business what health care I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
May I ask you which crystal ball you're looking at so I might be able to participate in your fears?

Having said that, have your health care costs gone down over the years? Have they stayed put? And, if not from a crystal ball or things pulled out of thin air, what argument do you have that supports your idea of insurance costs going up due to this plan?

I think I've enough questions for you, for now.

My health care costs HAVE gone up, but at least right now I have choices. I am not required to pay out to pay for people who don't get good enough jobs to pay for themselves. When my health care costs went up (and my 401k was cut, and my pay was cut) guess what I did? I stayed later than everyone else in the office, I worked harder than anyone else, and out of the 15 people I work with I was the only one who got a raise this year. I didn't pawn my personal problems off on the government, I worked harder so I was able to provide for myself. Why is it any of the government's business what kind of health care I have?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

I am sorry, but I really don't. I honestly don't understand how it is any of the government's business what health care I have.

My health care costs HAVE gone up, but at least right now I have choices. I am not required to pay out to pay for people who don't get good enough jobs to pay for themselves. When my health care costs went up (and my 401k was cut, and my pay was cut) guess what I did? I stayed later than everyone else in the office, I worked harder than anyone else, and out of the 15 people I work with I was the only one who got a raise this year. I didn't pawn my personal problems off on the government, I worked harder so I was able to provide for myself. Why is it any of the government's business what kind of health care I have?
It's the government's business because we don't allow people to die on the streets without medical care when they get sick. Therefore, when they can't pay, guess who does -- the government, aka us. Part of the reason your rates are so high is because everyone has to cover the uninsured already. I don't understand how it is that you don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies