Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
Exactly. I'm glad this is one instance where you see the free marketplace and freewill of individuals making personal decisions on how to better their lives can save both your own personal wealth while simultaneously saving the planet. No government bureaucracy necessary.

Don't look now, but a conservative viewpoint was just rendered reasonable by bellalunatic, albeit unwittingly. There's hope yet!
there was nothing unwitting at all pal, I'm a realist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No wander democrats in conmgress don't think its important to read a bill before voting on it;they won't understand any problems if they were there.Believe what the leadership tells you and how to vote.Voting is a mere foranily to them.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:12 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
U.S. House Passes Bill Creating National Building Energy Code

On June 26, the United States House of Representatives passed the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (ACES) by a 219-212 margin. Among the issues under the purview of this comprehensive energy and climate policy bill, ACES would significantly change American building energy efficiency policy by mandating a new national building energy code and providing for federal enforcement in state and local jurisdictions that cannot or will not comply.

Among the provisions, H.R. 2454 (The bill number was s changed to H.R. 2998). first national code to achieve 30% energy savings above the baseline code (2006 IECC and ASHRAE 90.1-2004), with the subsequent code to achieve 50% energy savings. States would be required to achieve compliance or demonstrate significant progress towards compliance in 90% of new and renovated building space within seven years of the bill's enactment.

States that fail to certify within one year after the date of enactment that they have adopted and will enforce the new code targets will be subject to federal penalties for non-compliance by the U.S. Department of Energy. At that point, if the DOE doesn't have a certification from a state that its code meets the targets, then the national energy code automatically becomes the applicable building code for that state or locality.

H.R. 2998 would also create the Natural Resources Adaptation Strategy, which directs federal agencies with jurisdiction over natural resources - including agencies considering permits under the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, the Endangered Species Act and other environmental laws - to consider the "impacts of climate change and ocean acidification on natural resources."

For more information
HR 2454: the text starts on page 200 for the building codes part.
(The bill number was s changed to H.R. 2998)

You know at one time no on thought the government could enforce every one to wear set belts, set speed limits in states, ECT but they did! How they did it was simple they used force in a monetary way. They withheld federal dollars unless they complied with the federal regulations.
So dose any one think this will only be new housing from now on? If so I have some great government no strings attached bail out money for ya! I just printed it up and will sell it to you at twice face value! What a deal just like this administration.

So how’s that change working for ya all?
Me I will keep my faith, Guns, and freedom, you can keep the change.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Link to the actual text of legislation or there is no point in even discussing it. Sick of this "I heard" stuff.

U.S. House Passes Bill Creating National Building Energy Code | Building Codes Assistance Project (http://bcap-energy.org/node/428 - broken link)

HR 2454: Bill Home | Text (beginning page 200)

look for page 200, starts there, and is a long read.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
You know at one time no on thought the government could enforce every one to wear set belts, set speed limits in states, ECT but they did! How they did it was simple they used force in a monetary way. They withheld federal dollars unless they complied with the federal regulations.
So dose any one think this will only be new housing from now on? If so I have some great government no strings attached bail out money for ya! I just printed it up and will sell it to you at twice face value! What a deal just like this administration.

So how’s that change working for ya all?
Me I will keep my faith, Guns, and freedom, you can keep the change.
Considering that 21 States have recently reasserted their sovereignty under the 10th Amendment, I would be very surprised if one or more States did not challenge the constitutionality of this bill, should it become law.

The last time the federal government threatened Alaska was in 1989, by withholding federal funds unless we enacted a mandatory helmet law. We still refused and went without any federal highway funding for 3 years. Since then the Supreme Court has ruled that unfunded federal mandates are unconstitutional in Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898 (1997).

Besides being beyond the authority of the federal government, these federal building codes cannot be applied in States, like Alaska, that consider log cabins to be single family dwellings.

This is what happens when we elect power hungry representatives that consider the US Constitution to be nothing more than toilet paper.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Looks like a good law to me. While I've already upgraded my 80 year old house and Al Gore has reduced his carbon footprint, it's clear that we have many troglodytes on this board that need a more paternalistic government.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
i imagine it's a standard for new construction. the old will probably be grandfathered in.....? or is this another way to further the stratification in the US: to further pauperization?

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies