Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,682,515 times

Advertisements

Apparently this was part of the extra 300 pages that were slipped into the Cap and Tax bill at 3 am. If anyone wants to sell there house they will no longer be able to just list it with an agent. They must now, have a Big Brother, err...I mean, government official come in, inspect my house and tell me the necessary retrofitting that I must do at my expense in order to make it green, and then, upon Big Brother's, er.., I mean the governments approval, then I can list it. People, this is very, very scary and should not be a partisan issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,888 times
I believe it, but I don't believe it. Where's a good source on this?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,037,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Apparently this was part of the extra 300 pages that were slipped into the Cap and Tax bill at 3 am. If anyone wants to sell there house they will no longer be able to just list it with an agent. They must now, have a Big Brother, err...I mean, government official come in, inspect my house and tell me the necessary retrofitting that I must do at my expense in order to make it green, and then, upon Big Brother's, er.., I mean the governments approval, then I can list it. People, this is very, very scary and should not be a partisan issue.

Link?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,682,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Link?
The new legislation that passed through the House last night, unread by any of the Congress people, had inserted into the bill a new NATIONAL BUILDING CODE. You heard me right, there is language that would have a national building code override your local and state codes.

So what standards are needed for a home in Kittery, Maine will also be required of Miami, Florida or Honolulu, Hawaii.

The bill would give the federal government power over local building codes. It requires that by 2012 codes must require that new buildings be 30 percent more efficient than they would have been under current regulations. By 2016, that figure rises to 50 percent, with increases scheduled for years after that. With those targets in mind, the bill expects organizations that develop model codes for states and localities to fill in the details, creating a national code. If they don’t, the bill commands the Energy Department to draft a national code itself.

States, meanwhile, would have to adopt the national code or one that achieves the same efficiency targets. Those that refuse will see their codes overwritten automatically, and they will be docked federal funds and carbon “allowances” — valuable securities created elsewhere in the bill that give the holder the right to pollute and can be sold. The Energy Department also could enforce its code itself. Among other things, the policy would demonstrate the new leverage of allocation of allowances as a sort of carbon currency — leverage this bill would be giving to Congress to direct state behavior.

The Waxman-Markey Cap and Trade Bill Will Control Housing Standards : The Real Estate Bloggers

Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,016,593 times
Quote:
Could you link to the language in the bill, please?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 17,888 times
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.c...ttle-troll.jpg

Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,037,514 times
Quote:
The new legislation that passed through the House last night, unread by any of the Congress people, had inserted into the bill a new NATIONAL BUILDING CODE. You heard me right, there is language that would have a national building code override your local and state codes.

So what standards are needed for a home in Kittery, Maine will also be required of Miami, Florida or Honolulu, Hawaii.

The bill would give the federal government power over local building codes. It requires that by 2012 codes must require that new buildings be 30 percent more efficient than they would have been under current regulations. By 2016, that figure rises to 50 percent, with increases scheduled for years after that. With those targets in mind, the bill expects organizations that develop model codes for states and localities to fill in the details, creating a national code. If they don’t, the bill commands the Energy Department to draft a national code itself.

States, meanwhile, would have to adopt the national code or one that achieves the same efficiency targets. Those that refuse will see their codes overwritten automatically, and they will be docked federal funds and carbon “allowances” — valuable securities created elsewhere in the bill that give the holder the right to pollute and can be sold. The Energy Department also could enforce its code itself. Among other things, the policy would demonstrate the new leverage of allocation of allowances as a sort of carbon currency — leverage this bill would be giving to Congress to direct state behavior.

The Waxman-Markey Cap and Trade Bill Will Control Housing Standards : The Real Estate Bloggers

sonrise, find the bill, click on it and provide us with the black and white proof sans blogosphere.

If you're going to put something out there, be prepared to back it up.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,537,048 times
I've seen a lot of mixed reports on this and haven't gotten a good answer. Don't look for one out of Congress though, they haven't read it either.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:07 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,499,155 times
Must be some expensive paint.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,603,790 times
Link to the actual text of legislation or there is no point in even discussing it. Sick of this "I heard" stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies