Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,826,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My child did get the flu. I didn't run to an urgent care center.
I call his doctor. The doctor told me what to do and what to watch for.
The doctor also told me when and if I should bring him in.

It did not cost me $800. People who do that are abusing the system and need education.
Flu like symptons in a Child are exactly like the symptoms of Meningitis. You were lucky this time but a Child with these symptons should ALWAYS see a Doctor. Children have died because of the confusion in the symptons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,277,514 times
Default Health Insurance Premium vs Claims Ratio

This is by no means more than a "did you know" post.

Did you know that every insurance plan wants to pay claims? What? Yes, they do. No matter the style and/or nature of an insurance firm's basis, it is their desire to set premiums at a price where they will pay 65% of all income back out in claims. It's quite a balancing act, but they must underwrite to pay based on that ratio.

If one member of that pool of premium payers is constantly having wrecks and creating claim payments, they are raising your costs if you are also a part of that pool of payers.

So, you are a good driver, you avoid accidents because you are. Should you pay the same premiums as the driver who is constantly careless?

Same for health insurance. Every company still fights to balance that 65% premium to claims ratio. So, if you watch your weight, eat right, exercise, and have healthy genetics, is it your desire to pay more money in premiums so those people who are overweight, eat junk, sit, smoke, over-indulge in alcoholic beverages can pay the same amount as you?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,717,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The problem is that for a UHC to work it has to be a 100% commitment and fully funded and used by all. If we decide to split the people into private and UHC then you might as well keep the present system going as that is one reason medicare etc is not good. It is half hearted and a UHC must never be half hearted or under funded or it will not work. In Australia they had the same problem as in the USA with the anti UHC brigade, fighting to stop a UHC. The Anti Brigade now use the UHC every day and the Health debate never comes up now in Australia as their UHC works great. Private Insurance still thrives in every country with a UHC because there will be some who love to feel Elitist. The private Sector will still thrive in the USA but not earn as many billions as they do now and they will have to compete with the UHC thus lowering their Premiums and increasing the quality of their care.
My point was actually to make those who are so critical of UHC, think about what private insurance would cost them when they become older and sick. As well as to make them think about how they probably would lose their entire retirement fund when their insurance company either denies coverage or raises the premiums so high they can no longer afford it.
People want Medicare for a good reason! They know the insurance companies will give them the shaft when they are at higher risk for becoming seriously ill!

Quote:
Mitch McConnell literally said this weekend on Fox, "The private insurance people will not be able to compete with a government option." Doesn't this prove that the private insurance companies will not be able to do as good a job as the government? Then step aside, Butch.

Here are four indisputable reasons why the public option must be part of the healthcare proposal:

1. The government doesn't have to advertise. No marketing budget means less costs to pass down to the consumer.

2. The government will not take a profit. That is about 10-30% of costs wiped out immediately. Private companies by their nature will add a certain percentage to the product for their own profit. That comes directly out of our pocket. An option that doesn't take profit also doesn't take as much money from us.

3. The government will have enormous negotiating leverage with drug companies and health care providers, so they can drive down the costs to the consumer even more.

4. It is an option! If it turns out that the government option does not work as well or costs more, no problem, just use the private insurance you have now. This is only an option you have in a more competitive market. Who can argue with that?

Four Reasons Why the Public Health Care Option is Irrefutable | Health and Wellness | AlterNet

Last edited by jojajn; 07-03-2009 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
This is by no means more than a "did you know" post.

Did you know that every insurance plan wants to pay claims? What? Yes, they do. No matter the style and/or nature of an insurance firm's basis, it is their desire to set premiums at a price where they will pay 65% of all income back out in claims. It's quite a balancing act, but they must underwrite to pay based on that ratio.

If one member of that pool of premium payers is constantly having wrecks and creating claim payments, they are raising your costs if you are also a part of that pool of payers.

So, you are a good driver, you avoid accidents because you are. Should you pay the same premiums as the driver who is constantly careless?

Same for health insurance. Every company still fights to balance that 65% premium to claims ratio. So, if you watch your weight, eat right, exercise, and have healthy genetics, is it your desire to pay more money in premiums so those people who are overweight, eat junk, sit, smoke, over-indulge in alcoholic beverages can pay the same amount as you?
A bit over the top, don't you think? I would rather have UHC than a for profit company looking into my genetics to deny me or make me pay more.

You have actually made an eloquent argument for UHC.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,205,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It's more than just one employee. The heads of three of the major companies were in front of Congress a couple of weeks ago and all of them stated, without hesitation, that they would continue the practice of 'rescission' as outlined in this article.

Health insurers refuse to limit rescission of coverage - Los Angeles Times

And now they are lying about the value of NHC. Their actions are absolutely despicable.

This is absolutely sickening. A perfect example of what for-profit medicine is all about.

And now it looks as though we'll all be forced to buy health insurance:

Under Senate health care plan, either way you pay - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)

I sure as hell hope we get the public plan option. I would hate to be forced to fork over $$$ every month to any private insurance company.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,826,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
This is absolutely sickening. A perfect example of what for-profit medicine is all about.

And now it looks as though we'll all be forced to buy health insurance:

Under Senate health care plan, either way you pay - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_overhaul - broken link)

I sure as hell hope we get the public plan option. I would hate to be forced to fork over $$$ every month to any private insurance company.
I agree with you and the stranglehold that big business has on America must be broken. It not only affects Healthcare in America but it also has stopped reforms in Illegal Immigration as the Big Companies need the cheap labour to keep their profits high. Washington has always sucked up to the lobbyists and this is now the opportunity for America to be taken back by the everyday citizen. The Healthcare Issue is the chance for every American citizen and legal resident to show that they are not just numbers on a Insurance Company Profit margin. This is now the time for real change and a real Health System in America that is for the benefit of everyone and not the "Elitist" few who think they own America.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,277,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A bit over the top, don't you think? I would rather have UHC than a for profit company looking into my genetics to deny me or make me pay more.

You have actually made an eloquent argument for UHC.
Are you really that foolish? With UHC, those that are "chronic" wrecks of health will simply be pushed aside as untreatable. Happens in Canada every day. Whether we have tax dollars or premium dollars, the financial model is still pretty much the same when it comes to health insurance. The one difference, at least in theory, is that the uninsureds will no longer create costs that the insureds must pay for.

What happens if a doctor (now a governmental employee) cuts off the wrong leg? Ever try to file a claim against the government? Who ever sued the government for that carelessly unrepaired pot hole that caused the accident that killed the child perfectly strapped into the back seat of his/her parents M/B?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Flu like symptons in a Child are exactly like the symptoms of Meningitis. You were lucky this time but a Child with these symptons should ALWAYS see a Doctor. Children have died because of the confusion in the symptons.
Geeoro, I knew that when I called the doctor. He did tell me what to monitor and what to watch for.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Are you really that foolish? With UHC, those that are "chronic" wrecks of health will simply be pushed aside as untreatable. Happens in Canada every day. Whether we have tax dollars or premium dollars, the financial model is still pretty much the same when it comes to health insurance. The one difference, at least in theory, is that the uninsureds will no longer create costs that the insureds must pay for.

What happens if a doctor (now a governmental employee) cuts off the wrong leg? Ever try to file a claim against the government? Who ever sued the government for that carelessly unrepaired pot hole that caused the accident that killed the child perfectly strapped into the back seat of his/her parents M/B?
None of your scenarios are happening with Medicare. A patient with Medicare has all the treatment they want. They can also sue their doctor if the wrong leg is cut off.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,565,253 times
Quote:

I have a chronic disease. I know people all over the world who have the same disorder, 2 of which are in Canada. They have NEVER EVER been denied their medication, nor has it even been late in the many, many years since they were diagnosed.

Me on the other hand, I have been dropped by TWO home health companies because they weren't making enough profit from the insurance company. I've had interviews with the insurance company where I had to 'prove' that I had my genetic disorder because they didn't trust the doctors diagnosis. I have also lost two extremely good jobs because the companies premiums went up for everyone and by process of elimination they found out it was me and unceremoniously fired me. They have also refused to carry more than two doses at a time (I get IV infusions every other week for life) because it's too expensive. If they run out and forget to order, or just don't feel like ordering because of the price issue (and they lag between getting reimbursement) then I go without. Insurance companies don't give a crap about your health. It's profit ONLY.

I welcome UHC because anything is better than dealing with insurance companies for long term disorders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies