Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:45 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Um ... perhaps because the state has guns?

Seriously, if I said this: "If a guy won't pay his parking meter fee, why do you assume he'll pay a $100 parking ticket?"

... then I'd be the biggest idiot on this board.

What makes your statement any different?
If you don't pay your ticket, a judge will suspend your driver's license. This measure promises to collect through the IRS. See any problems with doing that?

How about driving honest, yet poor individuals from legitimate jobs into the underground economy where they not only won't pay the fine, but will also stop paying taxes.

The guy who drives while his license is suspended will be arrested and forced to pay the fines or spend time in jail. How many poor people would you like to imprison for not paying a new health insurance fine?

Are you capable of understanding that you are digging a hole of unfunded regulation that just keeps getting deeper and deeper?

Are you capable of understanding this law will only hurt the poorest among us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It has NOTHING to do with providing better or more affordable health care. Why can't people see that?
People believe what they want to believe.
Obama is saying this IS healthcare reform.

No, it's the "insurance subsidy" bill folks.

Healthcare is not reforming. Insurance will be subsidized so more can afford it.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I wonder... the strangest thing is that Obama has been touting "No more lobbyists"... but almost all the legislation written is written by lobbyists and then Obama signs the legislation into law... I don't get it... what's the point of saying "No more lobbyists" when all you do is sign legislation written by lobbyists... I guess Obama is more in words than real action...

Old 07-05-2009, 02:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That $1000 is not the cost of the plan. That is the fine you pay if you don't participate.

Okay -- but is Obama going to allow those of us who already pay for our insurance plans and have them, keep them? Untaxed of course. And is he planning on going after the deadbeats in society who now contribute nothing but are demanding the government give them a health care plan?

If so then I'm fine with this, but if this is another way of gouging the responsible so that some can have a free ride then I'm dead against it.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I wonder... the strangest thing is that Obama has been touting "No more lobbyists"... but almost all the legislation written is written by lobbyists and then Obama signs the legislation into law... I don't get it... what's the point of saying "No more lobbyists" when all you do is sign legislation written by lobbyists... I guess Obama is more in words than real action...
There have also been many exemptions for lobbyists to do work directly related to their lobbying positions.

January's promise and rule:
Obama Freezes Pay, Toughens Ethics and Lobbying Rules (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

But there have been exceptions:
Obama's exec orders have loopholes - Washington Times
"Nearly two dozen executive-branch hires, all the way up to Cabinet level, have been registered federal lobbyists, with the most-prominent being Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and William Lynn, the No. 2 man at the Pentagon."

Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Isn't it weird that the Repubs scream that they don't want to pay for anyone else's health care but here's a solution...and they hate that, too!!!
What solution;the same people will still ot pay and have health insurance on teh taxpayer.But i really beleieve they are going to have a hard time enforcing it;first they have to take them to court(required to fine) then they have to collect.I can see alot of caases piling up in the court system that is clogged now.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What solution;the same people will still ot pay and have health insurance on teh taxpayer.But i really beleieve they are going to have a hard time enforcing it;first they have to take them to court(required to fine) then they have to collect.I can see alot of caases piling up in the court system that is clogged now.
If someone can show they have health insurance then I would hope Obama plans to leave that individual alone. It's the uninsured who are the problem. It's the uninsured who demand Obama give them a plan, but I think they don't think they should have to pay anything.

Since the uninsured want a government health care plan, I hope that the interpretation of this is that the uninsured who refuse Obama's plan for them will be given this fine.

They can get it taken from IRS refunds including EITC, or taken from their pay checks like many of us who buy insurance now have it taken.

For far too long too many people are simply takers and aren't contributing. They use plenty of health care but they don't pay anything in at any point.

The uninsured can have a plan of their own - it's high time they do. It's also time they start contributing.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:31 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Loser and most uninsured just carry to freebie healthcare card around with them.

Free medical, dental, eyes etc for all losers and welfare suckers.
So will they be forced to FINALLY pay for the millions of dollars of care they stole from us who actually have never been on welfare or sucked money out of the system without paying into it?

I think we should just collect 1,000 per welfare person for the years and generations of them to pay us back for stealing from the rest of us.

Also, does that mean Obama will fine himself 1000 for not going with his scamcare? Since he sneaked in a way to exempt himself from this terrible insurance plan he is trying to force down our throats?

Any member of congress who votes for this scam bill needs to be posted across American on billboards and everywhere else so we can VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE as soon as we can.

Same goes for any member for votes for illegals to stay here in my country?

Lets hold them all accountable and post their names everywhere.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Has anyone else heard anything about the suspect number of 50 million Americans without health coverage?

In 2007, the number 50 million was used (also found 2008 data using the same info) and...
Quote:
Business & Media Institute, 7/18/2007:
.......... The number of the uninsured who aren’t citizens is nearly 10 million on its own,..............

But according to the same Census report, there are 8.3 million uninsured people who make between $50,000 and $74,999 per year and 8.74 million who make more than $75,000 a year. That’s roughly 17 million people who ought to be able to “afford” health insurance Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans' (http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2007/20070718153509.aspx - broken link)
Quote:
Subtracting non-citizens and those who can afford their own insurance but choose not to purchase it, about 20 million people are left – less than 7 percent of the population. Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans' (http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2007/20070718153509.aspx - broken link)
June 2009:

Quote:
the latest figures from the U.S. Census Bureau say there are in fact 45.65 million uninsured people in this country and that 9.7 million of those are not U.S. citizens. .........

50 million is 9.6 percent more than the 45.65 million who are actually uninsured

The report on health insurance coverage also says that both the percentage and number of people without health insurance decreased in 2007. ..........

CNSNews.com - Democrats and Media Inflate 46 Million Uninsured (Including Foreigners) to 'Almost 50 Million' (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=50288 - broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I thought only the uninsured had to pay $1,000 if they opted out. If I opt out of the UHC because I choose to keep my private health insurance, will I still have to pay the $1,000? If so, is that for every member of my family? That would not be a happy event.
If you have that question, you might want to research it.
That's the next logical step; research not whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
It has NOTHING to do with providing better or more affordable health care. Why can't people see that?
And your opinion means????
How about some links to your opinion. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies