Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin will use next week's Moscow talks to relieve President Barack Obama of mistaken impressions he remains mired in Cold War thinking, Putin's spokesman said on Firday.

The spokesman was reacting to comments Obama made in a pre-trip interview. The U.S. leader told the Associated Press that Putin needed to "understand that the Cold War approach to U.S.-Russian relationship is outdated" and that Putin had "one foot in the old ways of doing business."

Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, in mildly-expressed comments, said: "I see that he does not possess full information. After visiting Moscow, President Obama will know the realities better.

"Judging by these statements it is very good that the meeting with Prime Minister Putin is on President Obama's agenda. I am sure that after the meeting with Putin, President Obama will change his point of view," Peskov added.

He dismissed Obama's suggestion that Putin -- who once described the collapse of the Soviet Union as "the greatest geo-political catastrophe of the century" -- needed to understand the Cold War was over.

"Putin understood that a long time ago," Peskov said.

Putin developed a good personal rapport with Obama's predecessor George W. Bush, which endured despite Russia-U.S. relations hitting their post-Cold War lows. He will meet Obama for the first time for 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday.

"Prime Minister Putin is looking forward to the meeting and plans to make the most out of it despite it being a very short meeting," Peskov said, adding that Putin will seek to understand Obama's world view.

Most Russia-watchers believe Putin has kept a firm grip on the levers of power since handing over the Kremlin to his hand-picked successor President Dmitry Medvedev last year. In keeping with protocol, Obama will spend more time with Medvedev.

Peskov complained that the United States had kept in place trade restrictions, some of them dating back to the Cold War years, such as the 1974 Jackson-Vanik amendment, which tied trade relations with the Soviet Union to the rights of religious minorities to emigrate.

"If that is not a Cold War approach, what is it then?" Peskov said.

Obama not fully informed on Russia: Putin spokesman | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
It is hilarious for Obama, a Marxist, to say that Putin has one foot in the "old ways".

Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I doubt very seriously that we'll ever hear the true rebuke that Putin gives Obama behind closed doors. Communist temper combined with the Napoleon Syndrome that little man Putin harbors will probably make Obama blush when it's all said and done. We'll never hear about it though. Obama will come out smiling and tell us that he's straighted Putin out.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:17 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Obama is a pretty naive guy, and Putin is a shark. This is not going to be pretty.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Does it make me a terribly bad person that I hope that Putin will destroy Obama?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
It is hilarious for Obama, a Marxist, to say that Putin has one foot in the "old ways".
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I doubt very seriously that we'll ever hear the true rebuke that Putin gives Obama behind closed doors. Communist temper combined with the Napoleon Syndrome that little man Putin harbors will probably make Obama blush when it's all said and done. We'll never hear about it though. Obama will come out smiling and tell us that he's straighted Putin out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Does it make me a terribly bad person that I hope that Putin will destroy Obama?
What true Americans you are. Taking the side of a KGB operative over the American President. Nice job patriots.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Yes it does. We have to remember that Obama is our President whether we like it or not. Destroy him and you take a huge chunk out of the good old USA.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Obama should wait for Hillary. I think Hillary would be a better person to put in front of Putin.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
No, not when we take into consideration that you live in Kentucky.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
What a bunch of losers we have in this country. One minute the right wing extremists want the US to go to war with Putin because hi invaded Georgia. Now they want Putin to rip Obama a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies