Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.) They'll go into the usual litany about traffic, rude people, bad schools, etc. etc. And almost without fail, they'll launch into a diatribe about how their neighborhood, or their city or their county, has been overrun by "those people." They'll link "those people" to derelict neighborhoods, blaring music at 3 AM, crime, drug dealing, and just about any other social ill that you can envision. They'll label "those people" as dirty, lazy, unintelligent, impolite, unwilling to assimilate and intent on destroying the country. For good humor, they'll usually even throw in a line or two of broken Spanish.

Of course, this is just as racist as anything to ever come out of George Wallace's mouth. But let's be honest here - if somebody on this forum started running off at the mouth about n-word this and n-word that, nobody would tolerate it. That person's account would probably be suspended. But whole threads here have become so hateful and vitriolic in their bashing of Latino immigrants (and Latino citizens in many cases, I might add) that they would surely make Lou Dobbs and Tom Tancredo blush.

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.
I can't disagree with you, at all, about Florida and other regions but I also wonder why reverse racism is stacked on we white males. Oh, I know the answer to my question and it is legislation (Affirmative action) but that doesn't make it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
No its not off as some people may think.
That's the wet dream of some American conservatives. That's how they envision US in the future.
That is mostly correct. However, what you fail to understand is the
1) Magnitude of this movement. "Old" Americans feel washed out by a tsunami of new immigrants who change the character of their neighborhoods and their life's foundation overall. They feel that their country is hijacked. If the numbers were lower everything would have been different.
2) New immigrants may not always occupy jobs of US citizens but they contribute directly to lowering standards and dragging wages down across the board. The reason is (again) the magnitude of influx of foreigners.
3) From what I noticed people are mostly upset with their governments for not doing enough to protect their country from this invasion. They ask what is the purpose of sovereignty if a country cannot protect its boarders? The size of the uncontrolled immigration is unmatched anywhere else on the planet.
Mabye the negative feelings begin with tie govenment not protceting the county from this invasion, to put it in your workds; but these negative feelings oftend digress into racism, bigotry and personal attacks against hispanic people.

I don't think that the government, other than a handful of populist legislators, is really interested in solving the illegal immigrant problem, because having alot of desperate illegal immigrants in the country that will work for almost any wage corresponds with the status quo. If you do what the right wingers want and kick them all out, the businesses will have to wait for the next round of illegal immigration in order to have all of that cheap labor availiable. If you do what alot of progressive lawmakers want, which is the solution I prefer, and grant amnesty to 12 million illegal immigrants, the cheap labor will no longer be available either because these immigrants will have the protection of the labor laws that everyone else has. Businesses will have a harder time union busting as well because they can't resort to a very common tactic: hire an illegal immigrant without worrying about his undocumented status until he starts advocating for a union and then all of a sudden fire him because he's an illegal immigrant.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
I don't know. Why is anti-Americanism tolerated by Mexicans?

Some Mexicans fear threat to way of life with rapid growth of American residents | WFAA.com | World: Mexico (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/mexico/stories/DN-sellingsouthside_01int.ART.State.Edition1.4acdc63. html?ocp=1 - broken link)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I don't know. Why is anti-Americanism tolerated by Mexicans?

Some Mexicans fear threat to way of life with rapid growth of American residents | WFAA.com | World: Mexico (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/mexico/stories/DN-sellingsouthside_01int.ART.State.Edition1.4acdc63. html?ocp=1 - broken link)
I'd like to see the answers to that one.

La Raza (The Race) can be pretty racist itself, and are Americans of all races equally welcomed into Mexico and other hispanic nations?

Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
jfields well many so called "whites" are threatened at how politically powerful Cubans in Miami are and how they basically run the city. In addition we have 8 Cuban Americans in Congress representing a population of just over a million in the US.
There seems to be a resentment towards Cubans for being well educated & prosperous which contradicts so many arguements of the anti immigration crowd that they need to learn English! Well if you want to see what we hispanics do with education and business skills look no farther than to the Cuban American community.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
This is my experience in dealing with Mexican/Latino immigrants.

I lived in a small (under 25,000) community for many years after moving from Germany when I was 11, so I was an immigrant (albeit very legal). There was an area in my town near the post office that was full of nice studio apartments with a small restaurant and a few little stores for shopping. Over the course of 5 years or so, immigrant latinos started moving into the lower income apartments (which had always been well maintained and clean) and it quickly changed. The stores began catering to exclusively Spanish speakers (no English AT ALL in any advertisements or in the stores themselves). The little spot turned into a complete slum. Broken Windows, graffiti, dirty diapers, trash and litter ALL over the place, the lawns died, weeds grew and there were broken down cars parked everywhere. They also fly the Mexican flag and hang it in their windows and I have yet to see an American Flag anywhere in that area.

That's the impression me and many others get from these immigrants... I'm sure this isn't all of them, but when this is all many people see it does leave a sour taste in ones mouth.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:50 PM

785 posts, read 1,050,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
jfields well many so called "whites" are threatened at how politically powerful Cubans in Miami are and how they basically run the city. In addition we have 8 Cuban Americans in Congress representing a population of just over a million in the US.
There seems to be a resentment towards Cubans for being well educated & prosperous which contradicts so many arguements of the anti immigration crowd that they need to learn English! Well if you want to see what we hispanics do with education and business skills look no farther than to the Cuban American community.
I partially agree with what you are saying. I agree that if given an equal opportunity, hispanics will become successful. I've seen alot of them actually overcome discrimination, lack of a formal education, and language barriers with hard work and become successful. However, the majority of people that come to the US from Mexico and Central America are dirt poor and desperate for an opportunity to live a better life. While there are many Cubans that fit in this category as well (mainly the ones that arrived in the 90's) alot of the Cubans come from aristocratic families that made up the business elite when Cuba was ran by Bautista and then the REvolution happened, Fidel took over and exiled alot of these people. The first round of Cuban exiles, the ones that came here in the 60's, were rich before they came to the United States. YOu don't see many Mexicans and Central Americans comming to the United States that were rich in their native countries prior to their arrival. Other than this, I agree with your statement.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Let's solve the problem of Floriduh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Interloper/997d6a2dfb33b69bc6c71fae6c5d5848eef.gif (broken link)

Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Just an observation. Pick any post here written by someone dissatisfied with life in southeastern Florida (or increasingly, Orlando.) They'll go into the usual litany about traffic, rude people, bad schools, etc. etc. And almost without fail, they'll launch into a diatribe about how their neighborhood, or their city or their county, has been overrun by "those people." They'll link "those people" to derelict neighborhoods, blaring music at 3 AM, crime, drug dealing, and just about any other social ill that you can envision. They'll label "those people" as dirty, lazy, unintelligent, impolite, unwilling to assimilate and intent on destroying the country. For good humor, they'll usually even throw in a line or two of broken Spanish.

Of course, this is just as racist as anything to ever come out of George Wallace's mouth. But let's be honest here - if somebody on this forum started running off at the mouth about n-word this and n-word that, nobody would tolerate it. That person's account would probably be suspended. But whole threads here have become so hateful and vitriolic in their bashing of Latino immigrants (and Latino citizens in many cases, I might add) that they would surely make Lou Dobbs and Tom Tancredo blush.

So why is there a double standard on race? This happens in real-world Florida as well - Blacks seem to be "off limits" but hatred against Hispanics is fair game - but the anonymity of the Internet allows the racists - via sites such as this - to avoid any restraint or attempts at civil decorum.
Without having read any of the other responses I would venture to say it's because they comprise the bulk of illegal immigrants, are spreading like a cancer, drive down wages by working on the cheap and breed anchor children non-stop.

Some are really tired of "For English press 1" as well as the costs of bilingual education, servers in restaurants who don't speak English, flying of a foreign flag in our country, multi-linguistic ballots and, just coincidentally, anger over ILLEGAL entry to our country and a wide-spread failure of first generation assimilation.

Other than that they're just fine and I like their food!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post

So many people scapegoat hispanic immigrants for almost all of societies problems and complain that they don't adapt to American culture and they don't learn English ect... and they have no idea how hard these people's lives have been. For example, some immigrant from Mexico or El Salvador that had to stop going to school when he was like 10 to work in order to help his family make ends meet comes to the United States, works 3 jobs just so he and his wife can rent a modest apartment and send a little bit of money to their relatives. First of all, it is alot harder for this person, who has a 4th grade education, to learn a foreign language than it is for you or me. Second, after working 3 jobs, this guy is going to be tired as hell and want to spend a little time with his family; he probably isn't dying to go to an ESL class at the local high school. So it really irritates me when people get all bent out of shape and say "why doesn't this guy learn English: this is the United States of America and we speak English here!"
Doesn't matter. Other ethnic groups learn English at impressive rates after moving here. Oh wait, 'hispanics' are special and we shouldn't have the same expectations, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies