Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 03:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Business tax will be higher. The Bush tax cuts will expire in 2010. The depreciation credits are changing this year. With business tax it is not just the bottom line, it is how you get there.
Thank you! I did not even think about those increases. Just dealing with the recent increases I found out about in the past weeks. But my accountant does remind about the Bush tax cuts expiring next year, I just try not to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Throw the card again......nothing more shallow then that! Here is a message to you too!

YouTube - Tea Party Patriots Invite Janeane Garofalo for America's Tea Party on July 4, 2009!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:07 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
government spending and higher taxes my butt, if that were the case why were there so many signs purporting that president obama is ineligible and show us your birth certificate etc etc etc? Truth is most of these tea party participants are racist birthers.

Tea Party Movement Loses Steam-racecard1.jpg

Old 07-04-2009, 03:09 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
with a cherry on top

Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I saw nothing like that where I was.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Thank you! I did not even think about those increases. Just dealing with the recent increases I found out about in the past weeks. But my accountant does remind about the Bush tax cuts expiring next year, I just try not to think about it.
THe Bush tax cuts did not effect the vast majority of businesses. They benefited the top 1% which YOU are not. You claimed you already had a tax increase anyway..I thought it was 2009 LOL..Just stop it.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
THe Bush tax cuts did not effect the vast majority of businesses. They benefited the top 1% which YOU are not. You claimed you already had a tax increase anyway..I thought it was 2009 LOL..Just stop it.
The Bush tax cut only affects the top 1% of buisnesses is about the same as 95% will recieve a tax cut, simply not true, if you were a buisness owner you would know this. And I pay highway use tax (Form 2290) for 2010 in 2009. Must be paid by Aug 31 so you can buy tags for all vehicles before they expire on Dec 31. But enough about buisness taxes, that is not applicable to you.

But as far as the tax increase on smokers, 19.8% of americans smoke, so 19.8% of americans just recieved a tax increase correct?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
You are correct, I might recieve a big tax cut, .017%! And check this out, the roads YOU drive on, my buisnees helps build. And I recieved a tax increase on my buisness to help build those roads for YOU to drive on. So sounds like the people that work for buisnesses recieved a tax cut but the buisness that hires them are not. Wonder what those buisness owners will do to offset the tax increase?

Not really sure what you do for employment but I am a buisness owner with employees. Just finished my quarterly taxes and it is not as profitable as it use to be. My accountant and I crunched numbers and if things continue the way they are I might help out the unemployment numbers. I will survive but I feel bad for my employees. And a majority of them are smokers (truck drivers) and they are having a hard time believing this tax cut thing anymore. I never discuss politics with them but it is very tempting.
Because you have a business involved in road construction, you may very well be one of the first beneficiaries of the stimulus money in your state. have you contacted your local DOT, Highway Department, legislator, or AGC office to see what's coming?

I am an estimator and production manager for a steel company, and we are seeing more demand from bridge and highway work right now than we have from any other sector of the market in the past year. Other construction is almost nil due to the overstock of existing commercial properties in the area.

With tax revenues DOWN, it is no surprise that your business is hurting, unless you are a niche player for people who are wealthy enough to have private roads built. The stimulus is designed to get money into the marketplace so that is can be spent and respent and make the economy flow again. The alternative to the Stimulus is HIGHER TAXES to increase revenues to a point that road building is again a priority for your state or county, or you may go entirely out of business unless you have a lot of road repair business to fill in for the lack of new construction.

What would you do to get the money flowing again if you don't like the Stimulus Plan? I'm really curious. You can condemn all you like, but unless you can offer a viable alternative, it rings hollow.

BTW - We're all in this together, like it or not. I want to see you succeed also, for the sake of your employees if for no other reason.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
“There are legitimate journalistic reasons for why there’s less coverage this time around,” said Seton Motley, a spokesman for the conservative Media Research Center — a group that blasted CNN and MSNBC personalities for joking about the April 15 Tea Parties. “There aren’t as many rallies this time, and there was a novelty last time that isn’t there now.

Tea Party Movement Loses Steam | The Washington Independent
Bummer, and I had just bought some stock in Haining Qiluo Tea Co.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Because you have a business involved in road construction, you may very well be one of the first beneficiaries of the stimulus money in your state. have you contacted your local DOT, Highway Department, legislator, or AGC office to see what's coming?

I am an estimator and production manager for a steel company, and we are seeing more demand from bridge and highway work right now than we have from any other sector of the market in the past year. Other construction is almost nil due to the overstock of existing commercial properties in the area.

With tax revenues DOWN, it is no surprise that your business is hurting, unless you are a niche player for people who are wealthy enough to have private roads built. The stimulus is designed to get money into the marketplace so that is can be spent and respent and make the economy flow again. The alternative to the Stimulus is HIGHER TAXES to increase revenues to a point that road building is again a priority for your state or county, or you may go entirely out of business unless you have a lot of road repair business to fill in for the lack of new construction.

What would you do to get the money flowing again if you don't like the Stimulus Plan? I'm really curious. You can condemn all you like, but unless you can offer a viable alternative, it rings hollow.

BTW - We're all in this together, like it or not. I want to see you succeed also, for the sake of your employees if for no other reason.
The only thing I was disputing with someone was the tax for 95% of americans. But I understand what the rhetoric behind that was for, not even sure why I waste my time discussing it.

As far as your question, of the two projects I just recieved winning bids on, one is stimulus money and the other was already in the planning for years with money already funded. There have been several other projects put on hold since tax revenue is down considerably.

One problem I have with the stimulus bill is originaly there was alot more money allocated to infrastructure. And most people do not realize the amount of jobs that would come from infrastructure improvements. It is much far more reaching than just road workers.

I have always made my company very diverse (trucking) so I can profit in almost every economy. When housing was booming I participated in transporting building materials. I also transport military equipment so needless to say I have done well in recent years.

One increase I am not happy with is the 36% increase on plates for all my Class 8 vehicles. Hauling rates have not increased in the past couple of years. And this administration's push for everything "Green" and high gas mileage makes me nervous as I use large quantities of fuel. I pray for no tax increase on fuel.

It is a big challenge to get the economy moving again but I am not sure we are going in the right dirrection.

Which steel company do you work for? I also trade stocks, which I hope to sell my buisness someday and just do that, but one of my favorite companies to trade is Arcelormittal Steel. Steel companies are a tell all about our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies