Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DADT is ridiculous and should be repealed asap!
I recently read that DADT was initially established during the Clinton administration, as a means of protecting the rights of gay soldiers.
"Don't ask, don't tell".
It protected them from harrassment by superiors and colleagues, it protected them from unfair dismissal based upon nothing more than suspicions about their sexual orientation.

But it is a rule whose time has passed.
Simple protection from being asked is not enough; not when the second half of the rule forces soldiers to live a lie.
Heterosexual soldiers are free to discuss their orientation, their sexual encounters, and their loved ones or spouses to their heart's content.
Gay soldiers deserve the same rights as heterosexual ones, whether or not they choose to exercise these rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm sure you're an absolute joy to work with
Actually I'm not, try working FOR me and its even funner

Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually I'm not, try working FOR me and its even funner

Yeah.... I was a small business owner at the age of 14. Co-owned a business with my father at the age of 17. I've been there, and I was STILL not an ass. You get more flies with sugar than vinegar.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:38 PM

454 posts, read 795,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I recently read that DADT was initially established during the Clinton administration, as a means of protecting the rights of gay soldiers.
"Don't ask, don't tell".
It protected them from harrassment by superiors and colleagues, it protected them from unfair dismissal based upon nothing more than suspicions about their sexual orientation.

But it is a rule whose time has passed.
Simple protection from being asked is not enough; not when the second half of the rule forces soldiers to live a lie.
Heterosexual soldiers are free to discuss their orientation, their sexual encounters, and their loved ones or spouses to their heart's content.
Gay soldiers deserve the same rights as heterosexual ones, whether or not they choose to exercise these rights.

That's true to an extent; however it's more accurately described as a compromise to avoid spending political capital on a long and likely losing battle to change to Code of Conduct.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:23 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
DADT encourages anti-gay sentiments. It puts a terribly unfair burden on a certain demographic.
Why are you being dishonest with this statement you made?

DADT does not encourage anything except for people to keep their mouths closed about who they sleep with.

"Encouraging" would mean that the policy takes people who don't care one way or another on the issue of homosexuality and change or encourage them to be anti-homosexual.

Are you seriously suggesting this?

Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Jane that is the sad part of it. The man wanted to serve and they killed him because he's gay? Just like this Army guy who is being fired for coming out & the hundreds of gay Arabic translators who have also been fired as well. As long as they do their jobs and honor their military codes who cares what two consenting adults do or what relationships they have?
That's the problem, they are NOT honoring the military code.

You don't get a chance to follow only the orders and policies you agree with in the military, that's part of the military!

If these people were made aware of DADT policy and consciously decided to disobey it that was their choice, they flushed their own careers.

Don't start crying now.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
DADT does not encourage anything except for people to keep their mouths closed about who they sleep with.

"Encouraging" would mean that the policy takes people who don't care one way or another on the issue of homosexuality and change or encourage them to be anti-homosexual.

Are you seriously suggesting this?
Yes I am being serious. DADT sends the message that homosexuality is so terrible and unacceptable that it can't even be verbalized.

And really, you're the one who's being dishonest, or maybe you don't understand how DADT works. All it takes to be fired from the military is for a female soldier to say "my wife". She doesn't have to say a word about sex.

In addition, your statement is incorrect because it doesn't do a thing to stop soldiers from talking about their opposite-sex relationships, or even their sex lives with opposite-sex partners.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That's the problem, they are NOT honoring the military code.
And the military code is not set in stone. It changes, just as the laws in civilian society change over time.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes I am being serious. DADT sends the message that homosexuality is so terrible and unacceptable that it can't even be verbalized.

And really, you're the one who's being dishonest, or maybe you don't understand how DADT works. All it takes to be fired from the military is for a female soldier to say "my wife". She doesn't have to say a word about sex.

In addition, your statement is incorrect because it doesn't do a thing to stop soldiers from talking about their opposite-sex relationships, or even their sex lives with opposite-sex partners.
Your entire reply fails to address the point I made.

How does DADT "ENCOURAGE" anti- homosexual sentiments?

It dosen't!

Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Your entire reply fails to address the point I made.

How does DADT "ENCOURAGE" anti- homosexual sentiments?

It dosen't!
I wasn't being as literal as you apparently are. My usage of the word "encourage" was not unusual by any means.

If I had to alter my statement at all, I would say that DADT send the message that homosexuality is so terrible and so forbidden, that merely expressing anything about a homosexual relationship is grounds for discharge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies