Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will Ditz's resignation affect the Republican Party?
It will help the party 25 18.66%
It will hurt the party 29 21.64%
It will neither help nor hurt the party 80 59.70%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Something everyone agrees on.
Really? Romney the serial flip flopper?

Not someone cut out for the job. Examine his record as Governor of Massachusetts versus the nonsense he spewed as a GOP hopeful in 2008.

John Kerry has got nothing on that fish out of water, but Mittens is the best of the lot.

Stick a fork in Sarah

Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
cant help but think Sarah Palin is trying to save her neck I never saw her as a quiter befor this .. the pitbull with lipstick just didnt seem the sort to run so I think that bad news/scandle is about to break and she wants to be outta sight or at least outta reach over it ...

what ever it is quiting during term just smacks of trouble coming down at her

Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
cant help but think Sarah Palin is trying to save her neck I never saw her as a quiter befor this .. the pitbull with lipstick just didnt seem the sort to run so I think that bad news/scandle is about to break and she wants to be outta sight or at least outta reach over it ...

what ever it is quiting during term just smacks of trouble coming down at her
I can tell you that in Alaska, her quitting came as quite a surprise. It really is not like her. I'd look for a federal indictment some time in August.

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm not saying she's a Rhodes Scholar, but the crap you posted is over the top and sounds pretty elitist to me. Will she "have read a book" or "completed a sentence" or "learned English?" How about can she go poopy on her own with getting her butt wiped?

How about posting some real examples (and not the phony ones spread around during the election) of what you mean?
First of all I didn't post that - though I DO agree with it in spirit. It IS exaggerated, but the essence of Palin's ignorance on a broad array of areas has been noted MANY times (and as I said, not JUST by Democrats):

"Look at the condescension and snobbery oozing from elite quarters, her backers say. Look at the endless string of vicious, one-sided attacks in the news media. This is what elites produce. This is why regular people need to take control.

And there's a serious argument here. In the current Weekly Standard, Steven Hayward argues that the nation's founders wanted uncertified citizens to hold the highest offices in the land. They did not believe in a separate class of professional executives. They wanted rough and rooted people like Palin.

I would have more sympathy for this view if I hadn't just lived through the last eight years. For if the Bush administration was anything, it was the anti-establishment attitude put into executive practice.
"

More criticisms of Palin from the Republican camp

Ken

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thnik that the liberals are just conning themselves again with their hate attitude. Afterall why be so worried about a failed VP pick. Seems kind of the rabid dog attitude IMO. But I guess they need something to take their mind off Obama's dropping the ball.

Last edited by texdav; 07-04-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well...her speech wasn't one that someone gives when they quit being governor so they can campaign for Pres. It was the speech of someone contemplating a vacation in Club Fed. She might have been laying the groundwork for some sort of martyr based defense.

I'm sure she's received plenty of media offers. That would subject her family to even more of the scrutiny she doesn't want.

I don't know that by resigning she is avoiding any potential criminal charges.
That's what I thought too when I heard her rambling incoherent platitude ridden speech - she's about to have something really bad drop and she's desperately trying to avoid it. I've no info on that, but it sure sounded like that was what is behind her move.

Her first public showing will put the lie to her not wanting to subject her family to media scrutiny. Someone who has relentlessly pushed her errant clan to the media forefront is lying about that. Even the last crass Letterman shot wouldn't have gotten any media play if she had not made a big deal about it. She just wanted to play the victim to get herself back in the news - at the expense of her daughters. Again.

I wouldn't be surprised if she surfaces on Faux news - her inability to say anything substantive or coherent wouldn't bother them and she is easy on the eyes. If they think she will boost ratings, they will offer her a slot and the money will be a big lure for her. This would be true even if there was nothing in the works before this bombshell.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
I'm curious about how people think she can "avoid criminal charges" by resigning as governor.
It was my understanding that one avoids criminal charges by not breaking the law, or by not getting caught if one does.
If in fact she's broken the law, and this is being investigated, I doubt she'll avoid charges by resigning.
I'd be severely disappointed in our legal system if she did.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Palin voluntarily stepped down as the governor of Alaska. If she had actually been attending to state business instead of sticking her face into every lower forty eight camera in sight, the media would have forgotten about her by now.
We can start the process of forgetting about her, though like Paris Hilton, her face will continue to be shoved in front of us way too much. So, in honor of her initial step out the door, and into a Federal Courthouse, I wrote this little ditty. Sing along with me!

To Sarah Palin, with apologies to Julie Andrews and the Von Trapp family...

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.
Adieu, adieu, to you and all your lies.

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen.
We'll celebrate by drinking good champagne.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
I wondered how folks there were seeing this ..... I do think she is trying to hide from something ..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I'm curious about how people think she can "avoid criminal charges" by resigning as governor.
It was my understanding that one avoids criminal charges by not breaking the law, or by not getting caught if one does.
If in fact she's broken the law, and this is being investigated, I doubt she'll avoid charges by resigning.
I'd be severely disappointed in our legal system if she did.
I was about to post something similar.

What could happen is that she'll be served with a federal indictment and then be all over the media complaining about how it was all some big liberal plot or some such. I think she laid the groundwork for that in her speech yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies