Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you sign a petition for a fully funded UHC in the USA.
Yes 37 44.05%
No 47 55.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM

221 posts, read 219,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The United States cannot financially afford a UHC. Nothing to do with me personally or you personally - I'm talking about the COUNTRY as a whole.

The Cost - in terms of Dollars, will be in the TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS of Dollars.

No - financially - a UHC is DOA.
The country can afford a uhc for all the reasons i stated earlier. If you think a uhc is dead in the water Gday, think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I guess government healthcare may be okay for minor problems where it's okay to wait, but for anything urgent you'd need to have a big nest-egg saved up so you can pay cash at a private doctor.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guess government healthcare may be okay for minor problems where it's okay to wait, but for anything urgent you'd need to have a big nest-egg saved up so you can pay cash at a private doctor.
you obviously have no idea of how a Govt UHC works. With a UHC you now wait no longer than using private insurance. I have given many examples of how the waiting times of a UHC are over exgerated on here.
I wonder why it is only the USA that is having such a huge problem with it's health service and not the UHC Countries. It's because the USA treats its Health Service as it does its now failing banking system..... Purely for profit and to pay it's CEO's obscene salaries and bonuses. No wonder the USA has one of the most expensive and least efficient health services in the World.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Would you sign a formal petition to be handed to the President of the United States to have a fully funded UHC created in America?
This is just to see How Many really would like to change the current Health System in America.
I couldn't vote because you didn't offer a vote of h*ll no.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
you obviously have no idea of how a Govt UHC works. With a UHC you now wait no longer than using private insurance. I have given many examples of how the waiting times of a UHC are over exgerated on here.
I wonder why it is only the USA that is having such a huge problem with it's health service and not the UHC Countries. It's because the USA treats its Health Service as it does its now failing banking system..... Purely for profit and to pay it's CEO's obscene salaries and bonuses. No wonder the USA has one of the most expensive and least efficient health services in the World.
I would be glad to support this plan if the people of Congress have to join in, but they won't allow that. Why is it that they would want to keep their insurance option even with all the rest of us in your situation? I know, but you don't act like you do.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Assuming that it'd help to solve America's healthcare crisis, hell yeah, I'd sign it.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would be glad to support this plan if the people of Congress have to join in, but they won't allow that. Why is it that they would want to keep their insurance option even with all the rest of us in your situation? I know, but you don't act like you do.
Why shouldn't congress keep their private health insurance? In fact why should anyone who has a private health insurance give it up. That doesn't mean they will not pay the tax to fund the UHC. You will be suprised how many will not want to have a private insurance obnce a UHC is in place. You will always get the ones who do want to pay for private insurance but that is their choice and no one should stop them.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Assuming that it'd help to solve America's healthcare crisis, hell yeah, I'd sign it.
Thankfully you are the minority as this poll and others reflect.
America is broke, the taxpayers are weary and tired of all the government participation in their lives.
To improve upon the system we presently have, we need tort reform.
There are probably just as many ambulance chasing, low life lawyers in our health care system as there are doctors.
Lawyers and frivolous litigation are the reason for skyrocketing costs and reduced care.
And seeing how government is inhabited primarily by these leaches (lawyers) why on earth would you think they could do it better?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Thankfully you are the minority as this poll and others reflect.
America is broke, the taxpayers are weary and tired of all the government participation in their lives.
Where are you getting your information? Sorry to be the bearer, but your post is completely inaccurate, regardless of what this particular "city-data" poll reflects. The truth is that according to almost every other recent national poll out there, anywhere from 51% to 76% of Americans are in favor of a government-run universal healthcare option.

Poll: Most Back Public Health Care Option - CBS News

Quote:
A clear majority of Americans -- 72 percent -- support a government-sponsored health care plan to compete with private insurers, a new CBS News/New York Times poll finds. Most also think the government would do a better job than private industry at keeping down costs and believe that the government should guarantee health care for all Americans.
ABCNEWS.com : U.S. Health Care Concerns Increase

Quote:
In an extensive ABCNEWS/Washington Post poll, Americans by a 2-1 margin, 62-32 percent, prefer a universal health insurance program over the current employer-based system.
NBC/Wall Street Journal: 76% of Americans Want Public Option Choice « The Senate Agenda Blog

Quote:
A new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found 76% Americans want to be given a choice between a public and private option.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Poll: Do Americans want government health care reform? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Quote:
Seventy-two percent of those questioned in recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey say they favor increasing the federal government's influence over the country's health care system in an attempt to lower costs and provide health care coverage to more Americans, with 27 percent opposing such a move. Other recent polls show six in 10 think the government should provide health insurance or take responsibility for providing health care to all Americans.
Poll: Majority Would Pay Higher Taxes For Universal Health Care - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quote:
Fifty-seven percent of those polled say they are willing to pay higher taxes in order to provide all Americans with health care coverage. While seventy three percent of Democrats favor a tax increase to fund coverage, only twenty-nine percent of Republicans back such a move.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/he...cy/21poll.html

Quote:
Americans overwhelmingly support substantial changes to the health care system and are strongly behind one of the most contentious proposals Congress is considering, a government-run insurance plan to compete with private insurers, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The poll found that most Americans would be willing to pay higher taxes so everyone could have health insurance and that they said the government could do a better job of holding down health-care costs than the private sector.
Poll Shows Strong Support for Obama Health Care Reforms - US News and World Report

Quote:
In fact, half of the 2,491 adults surveyed in the nationwide poll said they either "strongly" or "somewhat" supported the president's plan to overhaul health care. Twenty-nine percent said they were still not sure about the plan, while 20 percent expressed opposition to the Obama proposals.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 AM

318 posts, read 950,216 times
Balancing the public-private option(s) is quite stupid. Private health insurance companies cannot compete with a government-sponsored system. Seeing how Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security are all run as publicly-funded models, a UHC is one step away from disaster. Think NHS and Canada's system are picture perfect? Think again. Many Canadians have to cross the border to the US to obtain prescription drugs and treatment either not available or delayed in Canada. The reason why the American system is messed up is because of lack of private competition, and we focus too much on treatment on not nearly enough on preventive care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies