Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times

Advertisements

i certainly doubt if she was being disrespectful, when you consider that her husband is Roger Ballentine, the president of Green Strategies Inc., where he advises and represents businesses, associations, government agencies and non-profit entities on domestic and international public policy issues and business strategies, focusing on energy, conservation and environmental matters. Roger is also a Senior Fellow at the Progressive Policy Institute in Washington D.C. where he works to develop cutting edge, third way approaches to public policy challenges in the areas of energy and the environment. He also served as Senior Advisor to the Kerry-Edwards Campaign on energy and environmental matters.

Roger previously was a senior member of the White House staff, serving President Bill Clinton as Chairman of the White House Climate Change Task Force and Deputy Assistant to the President for Environmental Initiatives. Prior to being named Deputy Assistant to the President, Mr. Ballentine was Special Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs, where he focused on energy and environment issues.

it probably kept him from getting asked more difficult questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 07:55 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
There is no such thing as being disrespectful to the President in the US.

You can be disrespectul to a person...a Plumber, a President, it makes no difference.

Deference to political elites is something only right wing sheep believe in.
HUH? What an utterly moronic statement! Gimme a break, you lefty types use disrespect of opposing ideals to the point of extremes. This tactic is not unique to one side of the political spectrum. This post is proof of that. If you cannot disrespect a political ideal what is the point of a label like 'right wing sheep'? Oh my...such intellectual high ground do you occupy my friend.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM

396 posts, read 1,033,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Huh? Disrespectful? Actually I think its disrespectful to think the President of the United States "should" say something because a celebrity died... we don't live in an age of monarchy where celebrities are treated as royalties... people need to seriously get over celebrities...
Yes!!! This is how I feel too! And this is why I find the whole thing to be disrespectful, and maybe that's not the right word...
And as another poster said, that she used an accusatory tone.
And also made it an issue of race by saying that the black community was upset with him, and that she had emails to back it up.
I just feel that it is not the President's responsibility to focus on celebrity issues, when he has so much else at hand.
I think that interview was ridiculous.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 AM

220 posts, read 647,702 times
Seriously. Was that a real interview?
First, I can't recall a single time that the white house has had a press conference because some celebrity died-so why should Michael Jackson get anything more than anyone else?
Second, again I ask- why does race continue to be an issue.
To answer the original question~ no I don't think she was disrespectful but I think the line of questioning was completely irrelevant and pointless. You have the opportunity to sit down and interview the president, and you actually waste time questioning him about Michael Jackson? COME ON!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Is it just me, or does Obama begin to look like he's got bags under his eyes. I know being president will make one age, but he seems to be getting older much faster than many in the past..

And no, the reporter was not disrespectful for asking a question.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,918,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Is it just me, or does Obama begin to look like he's got bags under his eyes. I know being president will make one age, but he seems to be getting older much faster than many in the past..

And no, the reporter was not disrespectful for asking a question.
Probably from too many late dates with wifey pooh!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,325,964 times
When she pushed for an answer with her follow up, she was somewhat disrespectful. It was not as bad as Major Garrett at a recent press conference.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,325,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Huh? Disrespectful? Actually I think its disrespectful to think the President of the United States "should" say something because a celebrity died... we don't live in an age of monarchy where celebrities are treated as royalties... people need to seriously get over celebrities...
+1

Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM

396 posts, read 1,033,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post
Seriously. Was that a real interview?
First, I can't recall a single time that the white house has had a press conference because some celebrity died-so why should Michael Jackson get anything more than anyone else?
Second, again I ask- why does race continue to be an issue.
To answer the original question~ no I don't think she was disrespectful but I think the line of questioning was completely irrelevant and pointless. You have the opportunity to sit down and interview the president, and you actually waste time questioning him about Michael Jackson? COME ON!
You hit the nail on the head.
The issue of race is not an issue for me, if that is who you were intending your question for, I am not sure if it is. But I feel this reporter made the topic an issue of race by telling him that she had "heard" that the black community was upset with him. It is almost as though she meant, though I can't be sure, that the black community was expecting more of him because he is black, which if that was what she was trying to communicate, is something that should not be made an issue of for an entertainer. I could see if it were someone who was a civic activist, but not an entertainer, especially one who had been accused of crimes against kids. Which may or may not be true. Who knows... but all said, why should the President be made to feel that he would need to make a public statement in this case, when he has so much else to deal with.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
As Helen Thomas said the mainstem mnedia has been soft soping in questi0ning obam's and it's job to pressed the issues. She certianly is no conservative journalist either;rather a liberal one really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies