Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I was listening to Laura Ingraham last night and she was criticizing Obama for his answer when asked about American exceptionalism. I felt like Obama's answer was good and reasonable and any person with a bit of an intellect and refinement would have probably answered the question in a similar fashion.

The typical Conservative/GOP believes in this doctrine where the US is supposed to come first and be the best place, no matter what. As much as I like this country, in my opinion, it takes a very brainwashed, ignorant person to actually believe in such BS.

It is true that the US is a good place but even when I travel around Canada, I notice so many things that Canadians do better than us YET they do not have the need to brag about "Canadian Exceptionalism"

As I was listening to her rant, I realize that most of the Conservative ideology relies on ideas and concepts that are by definition anti-intellectual and extremely selfish in nature. A total turn off for a non partisan person like me.

I love my country and do feel that it is the best place to live. I am fortunate to have been born a citizen and be an American.

However, I married a European.. and since, my eyes have been opened.

Its great to love your country.. but it's arrogant to believe that yours is the ONLY great place on the planet to ever live. It's great to have pride, but when that pride spills so far over that you are unable, unwilling to look at other areas of the world...

It's like that with just individuals. When an individual thinks they know everything and they are the best.. THAT is when they stop growing and learning.. AND while they stay where they are, the rest of the world humbled enough to know that there are others, besides themselves, that know better will grow and most likely surpass the one that is "the best".

THAT is the danger American's face. THAT is the "arrogance" that the rest of the world sees in us.

It's just plain stupid.. and will lead to our suddenly no longer being "the best".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I love my country and do feel that it is the best place to live. I am fortunate to have been born a citizen and be an American.

However, I married a European.. and since, my eyes have been opened.

Its great to love your country.. but it's arrogant to believe that yours is the ONLY great place on the planet to ever live. It's great to have pride, but when that pride spills so far over that you are unable, unwilling to look at other areas of the world...

It's like that with just individuals. When an individual thinks they know everything and they are the best.. THAT is when they stop growing and learning.. AND while they stay where they are, the rest of the world humbled enough to know that there are others, besides themselves, that know better will grow and most likely surpass the one that is "the best".

THAT is the danger American's face. THAT is the "arrogance" that the rest of the world sees in us.

It's just plain stupid.. and will lead to our suddenly no longer being "the best".

Millions are clamoring to get here, risking their lives to do so. They no doubt have some concept the place is rather more "exceptional" than whatever hellhole they hale from.... History has proven this nation is, to put it crudely for some, the "best" nation to ever take hold in an otherwise dark world. So what one "thinks" really is of no consequence...to use another hackneyed and disliked phrase: "it is what it is". Albeit, the impetus to stamp out history and its lessons is on the march. To the delight of many, the present Marxist Gang in DC is doing their best to dispel that evil notion of exceptionalism, to make us "equal" with the rest of the world, equally third world....likely to the detriment of the rest of the world's nations.

I, too, have a European in the clan, very obnoxious. The only thing I have learned is to tune them OUT and make my visits very scarce. Takes all kinds.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
I'd like to express an answer with a gif, but when I drag and drop it never takes.

Can anyone lend some instruction?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
They cut us off with images... You can right click and "copy link location" but all that shows up is the link and not the pic.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Dang it!

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:12 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Millions are clamoring to get here, risking their lives to do so. They no doubt have some concept the place is rather more "exceptional" than whatever hellhole they hale from.... History has proven this nation is, to put it crudely for some, the "best" nation to ever take hold in an otherwise dark world. So what one "thinks" really is of no consequence...to use another hackneyed and disliked phrase: "it is what it is". Albeit, the impetus to stamp out history and its lessons is on the march. To the delight of many, the present Marxist Gang in DC is doing their best to dispel that evil notion of exceptionalism, to make us "equal" with the rest of the world, equally third world....likely to the detriment of the rest of the world's nations.

I, too, have a European in the clan, very obnoxious. The only thing I have learned is to tune them OUT and make my visits very scarce. Takes all kinds.
That's not obnoxious at all

Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post

Hm.. the people "dying" to come here are those from third world nations. If Enlgand was Mexico's nearest neighbor or Canada for that matter, they would be dying to get into those countries too? So I'm not sure what your point is. If it was a shorter distance to boat from CUba to another developed country they would be dying to get into that country as well.

As a matter of fact there are people all over the world that "die" to get into the nearest country that isnt' the hell hole their country is.

WE ARE the best right now.. but with the arrogant attitude that we have we are in a decline.. and will soon find ourselves out bested by those that actually were humbled enough to know that theirs was not the only way of the world.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hm.. the people "dying" to come here are those from third world nations. If Enlgand was Mexico's nearest neighbor or Canada for that matter, they would be dying to get into those countries too? So I'm not sure what your point is. If it was a shorter distance to boat from CUba to another developed country they would be dying to get into that country as well.

As a matter of fact there are people all over the world that "die" to get into the nearest country that isnt' the hell hole their country is.

WE ARE the best right now.. but with the arrogant attitude that we have we are in a decline.. and will soon find ourselves out bested by those that actually were humbled enough to know that theirs was not the only way of the world.

And I would submit, the reason we are in decline is loss of that special "arrogance", and the knowledge that we are the best and have much to offer the rest of the ailing planet. People need humility, a nation needs the overwhelming confidence and gravitas that it is superior, the strongest and the best to survive. Reality hit.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
I think it's mostly something to cling to for those who have nothing to show for themselves. Being proud of your country is a one thing, but people who need to rely on other people's accomplishments to create their self-worth are usually the ones to take it over the top. They'll be the ones to tell you to move to another country if you don't see things their way or have even the slightest bit of criticism.
Well, if you don't like me telling you to get out of the country, why don't you just get out of the country then you commie?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Have some of you people ever thought that if you stopped talking about how unexceptional America is, then some other people would not feel the need to talk about how exceptional it is?

Europe, up until WW2 was a continent of monarchies and dictatorships who engaged in wars that cost the world over 100 million lives. It is no longer so because of America.
America is exceptional, get over it!
This post says it all.
And if you don't think this country is special, I have plenty of educated immigrants who would line up to tell you otherwise, my parents included. They measure greatness by opportunity, not by whose government gives out the most free sh*t.

I think regardless of economic situations (which have happened before and didn't sink this country), it's not wise to bet against the U.S. Enough of us still believe and will still work our butts off to keep it great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies