Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 08:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

A politician who has been described as "the bravest woman in Afghanistan" says that military intervention is not the way to find democracy in the war-torn county.

Malalai Joya gained international attention for standing before Afghanistan's constitutional grand assembly and accusing her country's leaders of war crimes, human rights violations and supporting the Taliban.

Ms Joya says she is disappointed in the United States' involvement in Afghanistan. She says her country needs to find its own way to democracy without military intervention.

"Everyone is always talking about what would happen if these troops leave us - a civil war will happen in Afghanistan - but nobody is talking about the civil war of today," she said.

"Unfortunately Australia has followed the wrong policy of the US, which is a mockery of democracy and mockery of the war on terror, and it is quite a war crime that they are doing there.

"We are between two powerful enemies. From the ground, the Taliban and the northern allies are continuing to commit crimes and fascism against women and men in our country.

"From the sky these occupational forces are bombing and killing the civilians."

She says she wants people to stand up to their governments against the "wrong policy" of military intervention in Afghanistan.

"These countries are wasting their money and blood in Afghanistan and I, on behalf on my people, pay my condolences to those people who lost their sons, their loves, their husbands in Afghanistan and have been killed," she said.

"They should raise their voices against the wrong policy of their governments."

Ms Joya does not believe the upcoming election, scheduled to be held in August, will make any difference to the unrest and says it will just be "one puppet replaced with another puppet".

"The next president will be certainly selected behind closed doors at the White House. Our people will have no hope in the selection," she said.
She says the system is corrupt and there is no justice.

"On behalf of my people I am risking my life so that one day, together with my people, we will bring these criminals to the national and international criminal court, which is a prolonged and risky saga," she said.

Countries 'Wasting Money and Blood' in Afghanistan | CommonDreams.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Some threads never take off, huh?

I'll tell you one thing that I know. Russia was in Afghanistan to the tune of over 130,000 boots on the ground, helicopters, tanks and aircraft for ten years. They couldn't do it. I really don't know what makes us think that we can. I see no evidence of it happening so far.

- Reel

Old 07-05-2009, 06:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
this is all about the gwadar port and securing a trade route. this is an interesting article explaining the taliban, the trade route, and russian and united states participation. american lives are being exploited.

http://www.daily.pk/world/asia/10547...&print=1&page=

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-05-2009 at 07:21 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Some threads never take off, huh?

I'll tell you one thing that I know. Russia was in Afghanistan to the tune of over 130,000 boots on the ground, helicopters, tanks and aircraft for ten years. They couldn't do it. I really don't know what makes us think that we can. I see no evidence of it happening so far.

- Reel
Afganistan beat the hell out of Russia - guess our leaders are just too stupid to realize that the same thing will happen to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies