U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,918,971 times

Advertisements

Well looks like Iraq is back on it's feet. They don't need us anymore.

Iraq declines offer of U.S. help with reconciliation - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090704/pl_nm/us_iraq_biden_11 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:28 PM

34,990 posts, read 36,203,907 times
Yay!

I didnt know Biden's son was over there.
U.S. forces pulled out of Iraq's towns and cities this week under the terms of a bilateral security pact that paves the way for a full U.S. withdrawal by 2012, raising concerns Iraq has not made enough political progress to prevent more fighting.

But as the United States turns its attention to Afghanistan and moves ahead with a plan to end the unpopular Iraq war, Obama has pledged to halt combat operations in Iraq in August 2010.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

786 posts, read 964,442 times
Iraq doesn't want our assistance and they don't want us occupying their country. We are spending over $10 billion a month, putting over 100,000 American lives in danger and running the risk of igniting even more anti-American sentiment. Really, we need to pull out of there alot quicker than Obama's plan calls for. To me it seems like a no-brainer. However, the whole Republican party minus Ron Paul and way too many Democrats don't seem to get it.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 PM

To add one more thing, I do respect Joe Biden as well as Senator Jim Webb in regards to Iraq, although I don't agree with many of their decisions regarding the war. If I'm not mistaken, they are the only 2 lawmakers (Well Biden is still kind of being that he's got the tiebreaking vote in the Senate) that have their own kids in Iraq. I feel that if the majority of these politicians had to send their sons and daughters off to war, the wouldn't be so quick to invade other countries. I believe that every politician should ask themselves one question when deciding on matters of war and peace: is it so important that I should send my own family over their to risk their lives?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,732,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Iraq doesn't want our assistance and they don't want us occupying their country. We are spending over $10 billion a month, putting over 100,000 American lives in danger and running the risk of igniting even more anti-American sentiment. Really, we need to pull out of there alot quicker than Obama's plan calls for. To me it seems like a no-brainer. However, the whole Republican party minus Ron Paul and way too many Democrats don't seem to get it.
I am sure teh insrugence are glad to know our palns. Keepup a lillte pressure then sit and wait for the pullout whiole buidign up arms etc. Then they can switch to afganistan later.All dem9ocrts dfo is worry about what the enemy is thinkigof us. There is no doubt what Iran and Noprth Korea thin of Obama. Weak

Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 PM

The insurgents' worst nightmare is for us to pull out; here's why. The majority of Iraqis want us out of Iraq. Our occupation just ignites anti-American sentiment. We have our troops in a very difficult situation where sometimes it's hard to tell who the enemy is and who the ordinary citizens are; this is how innocent civilians end up getting killed. Our troops really have to shoot first and ask questions later because if they hesitate, that could be their life. However everytime we kill innocent people, it makes recruitment that much easier for the terrorists. Therefore our occupation helps the terrorists recruit new terrorists, which is one of their top priorities.

Their other top priority is to kill Americans. It's alot easier for them to kill Americans when we have over 100,000 troops plus all the American contracters right there in Iraq.

If we pull out, we will have more money and troops to fight another war in case Iran or North Korea decides to attack us, although we must do everything possible to avoid a military confrontation with either of these 2 countries. It will also help us restore our credibility throughout the world. We need international credibility because we can't afford to keep fighting all of these wars, especially if we have to do it alone. We must worry about fixing the economy, balancing the budget and paying down our national debt; war diverts resources away from all 3 of these things. It's very hard, if not impossible, to maintain a strong military with a week economy. Were borrowing money from China to fight the wars that we are in right now; the same China that is North Korea's number one ally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies