Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can The World Survive Without The USA?
Absolutely Not! The World Would End Without Us 5 6.85%
It Would Survive Barely 17 23.29%
It Would Survive But Not Free or Democratic 29 39.73%
The World Would Be Better Off Without The USA 22 30.14%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
There have never been thousands upon thousands of inventions in the way you describe them.
Um... huh? Really?

Greatest Inventions of All Times -- Greatest Inventors

Which County in this has the most inventors? This list comprises of only a hand full of total inventions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
Quote:
You are spot on:

"Americans believe that the world revolves around them".
Yeah, but my point is, the world media is obsessed. If I go to the BBC or CBC site right now, they usually have stories about the US. I don't Americans want all the attention (me speaking as a US citizen), but I think the world itself gives it to them a lot by choice.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM

11 posts, read 11,679 times
Most progress in the sciences comes from Europe, honestly, particularly Germany for physics and England for chemistry and biology. Heisenberg, Einstein, Planck, Hertz- all Germans. From England you have Maxwell, Darwin, Newton, Hawking, Joule, Hooke. Europe also had the benefit of being able to do stem-cell research over the last few years.

None of this is really relevant though, because science doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:23 AM

416 posts, read 407,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Yeah, but my point is, the world media is obsessed. If I go to the BBC or CBC site right now, they usually have stories about the US. I don't Americans want all the attention (me speaking as a US citizen), but I think the world itself gives it to them a lot by choice.
Well, as a Brit, I see our country having to cower to Obama to keep ourselves protected.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
Quote:
Well, as a Brit, I see our country having to cower to Obama to keep ourselves protected.
Keep yourselves protected? From what?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is a question that I have thought about as I hear politicians call America the world's only "indispensible nation". If we were to dissappear tomorrow what would happen to the rest of the world? Could they survive without the United States to lead them, help them and show them the way?
After all think of all the things we have given to the world- the lightbulb, TV radio, miracle drugs that cured many diseases such as polio, the telephone, the car, the computer. So many things the world needs, we invented.
And then consider all the wars we have fought for the rest of the world. We have been at war almost all of our history and really only Japan ever directly attacked us. The rest of the wars have been fought for others including Veitnam, Iraq, Korea and, I would argue, Germany in WW2 was fought more for the benefit of France and England than for us.
Do you think the world would live without the USA?
Japan attacked the U.S. and several days later Germany declared war on the U.S.
How's this KevK imagine the world without you first then we'll go from there.
No offense but leave the rest of us out of your hypothetical.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Then start paying for your own defense and get off the US defense-welfare bus. We are tired to paying to defend Europe anyway!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Ok, lets just say the US dropped out of existence in 1776... Countries held captive by the imperialistic European powers (especially Spain) would never have been inspired to rebel. The French revolution would likely have never occurred, meaning Liberalism would never have taken hold in Europe (Democracy, not the modern term 'Liberal'). The US was largely isolationist after 1815, so I doubt much would change until roughly 1860. Thanks to the American Civil War, ships made out of iron and steel, and not wood became the norm in just a few years.

Not much would have changed in WWI, since the US joined in the last year. The war probably would have dragged on for years more, with no side gaining ground on the other. Without the US to mediate negotiations between the Allies and Prussia, the latter would have suffered even more economically, politically, and socially, giving Hitler an even better case against the Allies in the 1920s. I also wonder if aircraft would have been developed enough at this point.. Seeing as it was two Americans (the Wright brothers) who successfully flew a heavier-than-air vehicle.

Imperial Japan would have expanded throughout the Pacific Ocean unchecked, expanding where ever they pleased. Possibly even carrying out their invasion of Australia, given time. Doing so would give the British a two front war they could not afford to fight. Since the US is not present to negotiate with Stalin and the Soviets, the USSR could swing either way, probably to whichever side was winning. Without food, rail equipment, weapons, and other materials from the US, the British would not have lasted nearly as long as they did. Before the US formally entered the war, the Germans were fighting a three front war - And winning. Can you imagine if they had reached Iraqi oil or taken the Suez Canal? Without the US to supply and eventually fight along side the Allies, the Axis powers had a chance to win WWII, Hitler probably would have completed his first atomic device, and the world would be a completely different place.

The Cold War probably would have been "fought" between Germany and the Soviet Union, with Japan possibly remaining neutral towards the two others..

Suffice to say, even without all of the American inventions and innovations, a lot of things would be different. Keep in mind that the Great Depression caused a lot chaos, despite the fact that the US was largely isolationist. In this era of globalization, if the US suddenly dropped off the map, there is no telling what would happen. Can not really say if the world would be a better place, there are plenty of countries out there that could form a modern day axis.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Yes. The world would survive without the US. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Would the world be the same?

Without a shadow of a doubt, no.

It'd be extremely self centered of Americans to say the world wouldn't survive without them. Humanity adapts, situations change, etc. However, it'd be extremely foolish to say the world would be the same without the USA.

Would the world be better or worse?

That's impossible to say.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enormous duck View Post
Most progress in the sciences comes from Europe, honestly, particularly Germany for physics and England for chemistry and biology. Heisenberg, Einstein, Planck, Hertz- all Germans. From England you have Maxwell, Darwin, Newton, Hawking, Joule, Hooke. Europe also had the benefit of being able to do stem-cell research over the last few years.

None of this is really relevant though, because science doesn't happen in a vacuum.
Or maybe not.

Innovation details and analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies