Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you have to right to control others actions?
Yes 19 17.59%
No 89 82.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM

416 posts, read 407,887 times

Advertisements

Do I have the right to control someone who I catch trying to ruin my life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I think as individuals we can certainly say whether an inidividual's action is immoral or not in our eyes based on our individual value system. (You gave the example in the OP of someone being violent.) I think it is another story,however, when we become "judgmental" and just out of hand, critical of those who may differ from us and our way of doing things or viewing life.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I am curious to know what gives us the right as individuals or groups to judge another person or group?

Is it life experience, Knowledge, or Morals?

Seriously, why are so many openly judging others? When you see someone do you automatically judge without question?

I personally beleive that it should not matter what another person is doing as long as it is not hurting or interfering in your life. Since we have to option to walk away, we should never judge.

Do you think you have the right to judge others? Why?

Why do you feel the need to control others lives and actions?

What makes you a better person then them?

I say when you feel like judging...pull out a mirror and start there...when you start to feel that you are perfect...find a new mirror.
Aren't you judging the judgemental?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Aren't you judging the judgemental?
I jugde those that judge me. If you wish to judge my life and control any part of it, I return the favor until they stop. But I do it sarcastically...to the point of annoyance. They walk away pissed off most of the time and I walk away like nothing happened. I dont let other judge me or control my actions. I live my life the way I want. No one tells me how to live my life. Yes, the government has laws and I follow those laws...for the most part. But none of my actions could hurt anyone else in any way.

Also, my judgment of the judgmental is just if they wish to do the same to me. Most of the time I walk away from them and leave them with nothing. If they persist and continue to judge me...that is when I act. It is my way of defending those that wish to change me. I do not mind change as long as I am the one who is contolling what changes in my life.

I just dont see any reason to constantly judge someone else besided to get your own jollies off and be a bully. Actually that is how most bullies grow up...they do the school yard thing then when they are adults they resort to constant judgement and control over others.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Do I have the right to control someone who I catch trying to ruin my life?
The only amount of control you have is to get them to stop trying ruin your life. But your end result should not be to ruin their life in return.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
The only amount of control you have is to get them to stop trying ruin your life. But your end result should not be to ruin their life in return.
You mean shooting them may not be appropriate?????

Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I do not mind change as long as I am the one who is contolling what changes in my life.
This is impossible, some things happen, like the financial fiasco. You can't control that and that will touch you in some way.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It all depends on how the person is, their morals, their ethics and the location of where said people live.

The guy who tried this deserves everything he gets, as I know he has a lot to lose.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
I jugde those that judge me. If you wish to judge my life and control any part of it, I return the favor until they stop. But I do it sarcastically...to the point of annoyance. They walk away pissed off most of the time and I walk away like nothing happened. I dont let other judge me or control my actions. I live my life the way I want. No one tells me how to live my life. Yes, the government has laws and I follow those laws...for the most part. But none of my actions could hurt anyone else in any way.

Also, my judgment of the judgmental is just if they wish to do the same to me. Most of the time I walk away from them and leave them with nothing. If they persist and continue to judge me...that is when I act. It is my way of defending those that wish to change me. I do not mind change as long as I am the one who is contolling what changes in my life.

I just dont see any reason to constantly judge someone else besided to get your own jollies off and be a bully. Actually that is how most bullies grow up...they do the school yard thing then when they are adults they resort to constant judgement and control over others.
If you're following the laws and not hurting anyone, why even give them the time of day? By responding to the point of annoying them or reacting if they persist, you're letting them have some infleunce on your life. Why stick around long enough to know if they've persisted?

By the way, my statements above are aspirational; I don't always live up to them.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
It all depends on how the person is, their morals, their ethics and the location of where said people live.

The guy who tried this deserves everything he gets, as I know he has a lot to lose.
What guy are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies