Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think you have to right to control others actions?
Yes 19 17.59%
No 89 82.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I love that no one has been able to give a valid reason to be able to control someone. Thank you all you have proved my point. Which is that no one has the right to control others. Yes, we have laws, rules and such, but only some are valid and just. When a law is there to protect one person from harming another it is a good law. When a law is made to protect a group and only that group it is wrong. A law must protect all people equally or it is not just, a law that gives one group power over another is wrong.

So, thank you all

Tom
No one does have the right to control others...BUT everyone has the right to EXPECT another to act properly , morally, civilly, etc... since these are virtues our Founding Fathers and the Declaration of Independence explicitly declares . Without some semblence of order and adherence to what is right, a nation flounders in moral filth that is very far reaching. America has reached the point in the sewer, where it needs MORAL LAW enforcement and to do away with using freedom and rights as a scapegoat to live anyway one feels like . Its time we got back to the moral standards of THE BIBLE...the manufacturers manual our Founders fully trusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
I love that no one has been able to give a valid reason to be able to control someone. Thank you all you have proved my point. Which is that no one has the right to control others.
I don't get what you mean by "control." Can you give a clear-cut example?

I saw the stuff about the military, but that's a voluntary decision that one should be well aware of going into. Don't sign up if you don't want someone telling you what to do.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I don't get what you mean by "control." Can you give a clear-cut example?

I saw the stuff about the military, but that's a voluntary decision that one should be well aware of going into. Don't sign up if you don't want someone telling you what to do.
I would be glad to provide examples of people attempting to control others.

• People who try to stop women from having abortions, or try to make it illegal.
  • The war on certain drugs, mainly marijuana
  • Gun control
  • people who try to stop homosexuals from marrying or even being together.
  • In general someone who tries to make someone elses lifestyle wrong, evil, or illegal when the lifestyle isnt hurting anyone(except for the person living it on occasion).

Religious people and conservatives are notorious for doing this. Change is what makes the world go round, these two groups fear change that does not fit their agenda, so they try to stop it at any cost.

I for one do not want to be told that just because I have tattoos, piercing and a Mohawk that I am a bad person. Or because I choose to wear a certain type of clothing or choose not to believe in a god that I am evil.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM

I would be glad to provide examples of people attempting to control others.

• People who try to stop women from having abortions, or try to make it illegal.
  • The war on certain drugs, mainly marijuana
  • Gun control
  • people who try to stop homosexuals from marrying or even being together.
  • In general someone who tries to make someone elses lifestyle wrong, evil, or illegal when the lifestyle isnt hurting anyone(except for the person living it on occasion).
REPLY: Havent you noticed the current situation in America as a result of the twisted-tolerance philosophy which demands everyone be apathetic to wrong, perverted, and/or deviant behavior ?

'Religious people and conservatives are notorious for doing this. Change is what makes the world go round, these two groups fear change that does not fit their agenda, so they try to stop it at any cost.'

REPLY: Its not about 'the religious groups' , but it IS about a call for America to stop denigrating itself ; did you recieve from your Parents a good moral guideline for how to live and why that was important ? If so, why did you choose to swing off the scale to the left ?

'I for one do not want to be told that just because I have tattoos, piercing and a Mohawk that I am a bad person. Or because I choose to wear a certain type of clothing'

REPLY: Those things dont make you a bad person . Its what comes out of the heart and mind that determines that.

'or choose not to believe in a god that I am evil.'

REPLY: People ultimately fall into just TWO camps : Either they love, honor, and try to get to know God better...or....they hate , dishonor , and wish God were not a reality. The reason for the latter is because of deep rooted rebellion, pride, arrogance, to live life as though there were no ultimate moral accountability for our actions. If this is how you wish to live, then you will bring destruction on youself in this life , and afterward. I hope one day you can understand the REAL freedom that comes from loving and living for God based on his love for you. Its bondage to live as you like , albiet appealing. Pretending that we are nothing but a worthless, unpurposed, non meaningful ancient product of slimey Pond Scum is simply a popular excuse to live as one likes. Dont go that route anymore ; I used to do that. Give God a chance with your life and youll never be sorry you did. Its what you are here for.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Havent you noticed the current situation in America as a result of the twisted-tolerance philosophy which demands everyone be apathetic to wrong, perverted, and/or deviant behavior ?
Actually, I have noticed the current situations because people refuse to change and accept change.

Quote:
REPLY: Its not about 'the religious groups' , but it IS about a call for America to stop denigrating itself ; did you recieve from your Parents a good moral guideline for how to live and why that was important ? If so, why did you choose to swing off the scale to the left ?
I did recieve good moral guidelines form my parents, and I live by them each day. They raised me to never regret what you have done, but learn from it. I was taught to question everything, teachers, bosses, friends, police, religion, and even our government. I was taught to live life to the fullest and not to fear change or the future. I was taught the value of hard work, passion, dedication, and merit. I was taught that everyone is equal no matter what their past, present or future holds for them. I was taught to fear nothing, but myself and the damage I could do.

I was taught all these things and still live by them. I would say they are great things to live by for anyone

Quote:
REPLY: Those things dont make you a bad person . Its what comes out of the heart and mind that determines that.
I agree, what matters most is what resides in a persons heart. If a person seeks to destroy anyone, or anyones way of life then they are a bad person. If a person is accepting and tolerant to everyone then they are a good person. Obviously, the tolerant person also looks out for the welbeing of others and seeks to protect the lifestyles of those around them.

Quote:
REPLY: People ultimately fall into just TWO camps : Either they love, honor, and try to get to know God better...or....they hate , dishonor , and wish God were not a reality. The reason for the latter is because of deep rooted rebellion, pride, arrogance, to live life as though there were no ultimate moral accountability for our actions. If this is how you wish to live, then you will bring destruction on youself in this life , and afterward. I hope one day you can understand the REAL freedom that comes from loving and living for God based on his love for you. Its bondage to live as you like , albiet appealing. Pretending that we are nothing but a worthless, unpurposed, non meaningful ancient product of slimey Pond Scum is simply a popular excuse to live as one likes. Dont go that route anymore ; I used to do that. Give God a chance with your life and youll never be sorry you did. Its what you are here for.
I appreciate your concern, but there is nothing wrong with my life. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD, why cant you comprehend this? I dont wish god didnt exist, I dont think god exists but claim he does not. I DO NO BELIEVE IN A GOD, plain and simple. If you cannot accept that someone could not believe in god and still be happy, I feel sorry for you. I have a very happy life, living it the way I want to and at no expense to anyone else. I am succesful, giving, and accepting of all, except those that seek to control others. I still care for them and wish no ill will towards them, I just want them to see things from other perspectives. No one, no matter what amount of living, experiance, or education, has the right to tell other people how to live their lives, within reason. We dont want people killing other people or hurting other people so they can be happy. But if they are not hurting anyone then they should be left alone.

Organized religion is the best defense against really knowing ones self.

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 08-02-2009 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Organized religion is the best defense against really knowing ones self.
This is merely your opinion.

Because my opinion is exactly the opposite. Religion and believing in God and having a devotion to God and the principles established by the Good Lord, actually help to get to know oneself IMO

Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This is merely your opinion.

Because my opinion is exactly the opposite. Religion and believing in God and having a devotion to God and the principles established by the Good Lord, actually help to get to know oneself IMO
Yes it is my opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.

IMO the people I know that are not just weekend religious people but live it everyday, have not really lived. Most have never left the city they currently live, they have never experienced true adventure of the unknown. They have never risked it all. They pray for things to happen and don't make them happen. I have nothing against those that wish to seek religion, just don't push it on me and tell me that I have to believe or that I do believe. I don't go telling people they cant believe in GOD or read the bible. I do nothing to them, why cant they leave me alone?

I know they think it is their duty to save others, but shouldn't the people they are saving ask for that help and not have it forced upon them?

When you force someone into something, they never truly accept it. I know people that go to church becasue they feel they have to, they dont even know what they are practicing. They have no clue what it means to fallow GOD, they just do it because someone once told them they have to.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM

'Obviously, the tolerant person also looks out for the welbeing of others and seeks to protect the lifestyles of those around them.
'

REPLY: This sounds like a noble description, but, it is not. When someone chooses to suppress their God given Moral Conscience to accomodate others immoral actions/lifestyles (tolerance) , it says 'I dont care what you want to do so long as you dont care what i want to do' . It displays apathy toward wrong immoral choices that another makes and it says 'Ill put up with you' . Isnt it interesting that we are not asked to be tolerant of people who do good things and live correctly ; can you imagine someone having to be 'tolerant' of Mother Theresa ? Of course not...we are being asked to be tolerant of what is WRONG living.

' I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD, why cant you comprehend this? I dont wish god didnt exist, I dont think god exists but claim he does not. I DO NO BELIEVE IN A GOD, plain and simple. If you cannot accept that someone could not believe in god and still be happy, I feel sorry for you.'

REPLY: You need not feel sorry for myself because i do believe someone can be happy with or without God in their lives ; only it wont be long lasting happiness because the void in ones heart is designed for only the Creator to fill. It cant be filled up with other people, things, experiences, money, power, or prestige. If it could., billionaires wouldnt take thier lives.

You can deny you dont believe in a personal creator for our personal Universe,Earth, and Human Body...but you simply dont have enough Faith to believe that the enormous specified complexity came about naturally without intelligent intervention. Even world atheist Guru, Prof. Richard Dawkins, agreed that there has to be some intelligent intervention and he should be the last guy to say such a thing. I used to play the 'atheist' game for many years as many have ... and its all so a person can live, act, talk, behave with complete freedom and to lavish himself with any immoral pleasure he feels like . That in a nutshell is the psychology behind one wanting to be 'an atheist' . Now...you can go on living that way if you choose too...but, youre only hurting yourself by being willfully decieived. God is holding out his hand to you to walk a different and better way. , but it will mean having to surrender your Pride. You can do it, cause lots have. But its a difficult thing to do -- Pride is a very captivating and addicting thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
No one does have the right to control others...BUT everyone has the right to EXPECT another to act properly , morally, civilly, etc... since these are virtues our Founding Fathers and the Declaration of Independence explicitly declares . Without some semblence of order and adherence to what is right, a nation flounders in moral filth that is very far reaching. America has reached the point in the sewer, where it needs MORAL LAW enforcement and to do away with using freedom and rights as a scapegoat to live anyway one feels like . Its time we got back to the moral standards of THE BIBLE...the manufacturers manual our Founders fully trusted.
The "moral standards of the Bible" are fine if one happens to believe in the God of the Bible. But what about those who do not? Are you saying they should all be forced by law to follow those standards? And whose interpretation of those standards would you want enforced? Yours; mine; maybe your pastor's? And, if you think all of the founders were Christian, you really know nothing about them at all.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM

'I know they think it is their duty to save others, but shouldn't the people they are saving ask for that help '

REPLY: It ISNT our duty to save others ; nobody can save another . That is Gods job to save when the person cooperates. It would be great if people WOULD ask for that help, however, they are so blinded by the culture, the media, and thier own selfish deisres...that they cant even see thier need to be saved from their rebellion and sins. In fact, many will even declare they are WITHOUT any sin ! Im afraid you have some misconceptions about CHristians ; you have reached conclusions based on your personal experience with Christians who have not lived up to what they should be , or, who have let you down in some way. It is because they are still human too. One of the greatest misconceptions is how others keep on referring to 'religion' ; did you know that Jesus himself spoke out AGAINST religion in his day ? Religion implies that its all about keeping laws, keeping traditions, the act of going to church, doing good deeds, etc.... when its REALLY about A PERSONAL ''RELATIONSHIP" with the Creator who cared enough to send his Son to die in our place. That is the big difference. Its not about doing a bunch of religiousity...but its about A PERSON ..and that person is the very one who loves you and who fashioned you in his own likeness. It never was about organized religion as Man has made it, its all about knowing the Creator intimately and enjoying him both now and forever. Dont let false stigmas lead you away . Your ultimate purpose in life is to know the Creator. What could possibly be greater than that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies