Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,779,026 times

Advertisements

Source: Critics of Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

The Taliban would be proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,224,622 times
If you don't like it, go somewhere else. North Carolinians should have the right to run their state however they see fit.

I wish the whole country was a theocratic republic. I bet we would have universal healthcare.

Finland could almost be considered a theocratic republic, and it has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Something like 1% or 2% of all taxes in Finland go directly to the Lutheran state churches.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 12-10-2009 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Interesting post. You are absolutely correct. NC state law prohibits atheists from running for local office. That is bizarre, very interesting, and probably unconstitutional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you don't like it, go somewhere else. South Carolinians should have the right to run their state however they see fit.
You realize this is North Carolina?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,405,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Dude that is a 18th century law that has been so irrelevant this is probably the first time its been invoked. Heck I even remember learning about it in public school and being told it did not matter because of the 1st amendment to the US constitution. I assure you there is not a state appeals court in the state North Carolina that will hold this up because it does clearly conflict with federal law.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,655,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Dude that is a 18th century law that has been so irrelevant this is probably the first time its been invoked. Heck I even remember learning about it in public school and being told it did not matter because of the 1st amendment to the US constitution. I assure you there is not a state appeals court in the state North Carolina that will hold this up because it does clearly conflict with federal law.
Yep, there are MANY states (mostly southern, though) that still have a version of that law on the records. It has been deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court to deny public office from someone who does not believe in 'god'. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with a person who bases their decisions on logic than in some invisible friend that tells them what they should do.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,860 times
Quote:
If you don't like it, go somewhere else. South Carolinians should have the right to run their state however they see fit.
Actually, no they don't. They must follow the US Constitution. If the fine citizens of South, or more accurately, North Carolina don't like it, they should go somewhere else.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Interesting post. You are absolutely correct. NC state law prohibits atheists from running for local office. That is bizarre, very interesting, and probably unconstitutional.

You realize this is North Carolina?
I don't know why but I had South Carolina on my mind, I think it was a combination of Sanford and Wilson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Actually, no they don't. They must follow the US Constitution. If the fine citizens of South, or more accurately, North Carolina don't like it, they should go somewhere else.
I am not sure that the first amendment protects atheism. Since atheism isn't technically a religion. If you put some sympathetic judges in the courts, I have no doubt that they could legitimize the North Carolinian constitution. But I would be more interested in the wording of the North Carolina constitution. If it talks about any god or if it more refers to the Christian god.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I am not sure that the first amendment protects atheism. Since atheism isn't technically a religion. If you put some sympathetic judges in the courts, I have no doubt that they could legitimize the North Carolinian constitution. But I would be more interested in the wording of the North Carolina constitution. If it talks about any god or if it more refers to the Christian god.
Even if it doesn't refer exactly to the Christian god you can safely assume that's what it regards. I mean, if I were to run for Office and say that I believe in the Almighty God Zeus, I would probably be called a crazy person and denied office. Of course, the Christian god is exempt from that?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Even if it doesn't refer exactly to the Christian god you can safely assume that's what it regards. I mean, if I were to run for Office and say that I believe in the Almighty God Zeus, I would probably be called a crazy person and denied office. Of course, the Christian god is exempt from that?
The first amendment only protects the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. As long as the law simply states that you should believe in a god(IE that you are religious), then you shall be eligible for office. As long as it doesn't discriminate against what religion someone is, it wouldn't be illegal.

As for the general population seeing you as crazy, the population will vote for whoever they believe represents them best. Since the vast majority of Americans aren't worshippers of Zeus, you obviously won't get much support. And thats why we call it a democracy. People can cry all they want about how to become the president you HAVE to be a Christian. But when 80% of the population are Christians, should you expect anything less?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The first amendment only protects the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. As long as the law simply states that you should believe in a god(IE that you are religious), then you shall be eligible for office. As long as it doesn't discriminate against what religion someone is, it wouldn't be illegal.

As for the general population seeing you as crazy, the population will vote for whoever they believe represents them best. Since the vast majority of Americans aren't worshippers of Zeus, you obviously won't get much support. And thats why we call it a democracy. People can cry all they want about how to become the president you HAVE to be a Christian. But when 80% of the population are Christians, should you expect anything less?
Agreed somewhat. It's still unfortunate that even if a perfect candidate came forward who was intelligent and fair (I know this is a far reaching possibility) that the majority of Americans would not vote for him/her if they were a non-believer in Christianity.

I don't agree that a non-religious person should be banned from running for or holding an office. Religion shouldn't have a big part in the voting process but for too many it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies