Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So now we can't discuss someone or their past behavior because they might have children? What is your fascination with MJ? Why do you defend him?
I don't even like Michael Jackson, never did.

I have no fascination with him.

I feel sorry for his children.

I simply think it is tacky to speak of someone in such a manner shortly after death, especially someone who was never convicted of a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
People still memorialize Elvis and he's been dead for 30 years and was a drug addict that stole his entire act from James Brown.
Wait a minute...

Elvis became very popular and famous in early 1956. When did James Brown become well known? When did Elvis become aware of Brown's music (and his act)? And where did Brown learn his dancing (and act) from?

Old 07-07-2009, 03:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I simply think it is tacky to speak of someone in such a manner shortly after death, especially someone who was never convicted of a crime.
Regardless of whether or not he was convicted of a crime, when you look at his actions, he is not worthy of this kind of adulation. Let's assume for a second that he totally innocent of any sex crime. He is still a drug user and admitted to some pretty strange and questionable conduct with children. Is this a man who deserves our respect just because he sold some albums many years ago?

Let's assume Peter King's comments are a bit too strong. It's still a sad commentary on our society that we heap this kind of tribute on someone like Michael Jackson. My dad (who died 18 years ago) told me a while back that we should never talk about someone when they're dead any better or any worse than when they were alive. I did not respect MJ when he was alive, and don't respect him now. I think people are hypocrites when they heap compliments on people in death, when they heaped criticisms on them when they were alive. I will not be a hypocrite.

If MJ's kids and family want respect, they would have had a dignified and private service, not this media circus they have brought about.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Wait a minute...

Elvis became very popular and famous in early 1956. When did James Brown become well known? When did Elvis become aware of Brown's music (and his act)? And where did Brown learn his dancing (and act) from?
This pains me more than you can possibly imagine Fleet...BUT.....I...agree......with .......you.

Elvis,like him or love him, was the "real deal" and an original mold who stole no one's act.....He mixed rockabilly,gospel and blues to do what he did and I don't think ANY of it was planned or contrived in the beginning,it was just what HE liked and wanted to hear and by default it SOLD and made him a gozillionaire

He turned out to be a prisoner of his own success and excess too,but I never heard rumors of him being a pedo nor court cases on it like MJ.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:31 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
I just hope this gives closure to all the newss channels, and they get back to real stories....and continue spinning for all us american lemmings.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I just hope this gives closure to all the newss channels, and they get back to real stories....and continue spinning for all us american lemmings.
Yes....I can't WAIT for the next drama....my magic spot is tingling in anticipation

Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
An old saying- when either God or Satan put their hands on a man, people should take their hands off. Peter King would serve himself better to just shut up and let them bury the man in peace. And I said the same thing to fellow liberals who were trash talking Nixon when he died.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I have to agree, people shouldn't be talking about dead people... on that note, lets rag on Al Gore...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
An old saying- when either God or Satan put their hands on a man, people should take their hands off. Peter King would serve himself better to just shut up and let them bury the man in peace. And I said the same thing to fellow liberals who were trash talking Nixon when he died.
Although I have never heard that particular saying,it's one to live by.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
The man is DEAD....he cannot defend himself...no matter what he may or may not have done....he was a talented individual who did change pop culture/music...remember how MTV took off with his videos? I cannot be his judge...nor on the jury....none of us can.....let history and the "Lord" do the judging....watch out when you start throwing those stones, because ALL of us have some glass in our houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies