Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Celtic, I didn't mean 'over' like that, but I can see how that could be interpreted. You are correct and I in no way meant we should just move on like nothing happened. My point is, the guy is dead, something went wrong, there's lesson's to be learned, and we should look at his life and figure out where we can improve as a society to prevent this from happening in the future.

I'm sensitive to the victims and their families and certainly understand how their feelings towards him would be reflected in thier language. However, none of the media personalities that were hurling these dehumanizing names at him had any family involved. It was, IN MY OPINION, uncalled for.

That was my point. Thank you for reminding me that the ways my words 'sound' in my head aren't relayed efffectively in static type.
Well, I guess I didn't read it the way you intended, either. It's sometimes hard to "see" what other folks mean, by what we type here. I really wasn't trying to be ugly with you, when I posted my first response, I just didn't "get" it. This is just such a horrible thing, I think everyone is on edge and upset. Many, if not most, of us on this forum are parents, and it is hideous to think of these poor families going through this, and how we would react, if these were our children and loved ones that this happened to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Seems like the attention keeps getting focused on: guns, the Virginia Tech (VT) response, and on everything else BUT the shooter.

Why isn't the mainstream media not calling the shooter an animal or a barbarian? How about lunatic or a derranged crazed despicable individual??? I think savage is quite appropriate too!

Is the liberal media embarassed that the VT shooter is asian and is keeping the heat off the shooter?? I am sure if he was white, the media would be calling him a "redneck nutcase" among other things. So why the double standard??

Should't this monster be called just that in the news - a monster or an animal or a barbarian??

Let's have your thoughts... why is the media placing VERY little attention on the shooter, his religious beliefs, or his crazy writtings and rants??? Why is the media not condemning this barbarain?? Anyone who does something like this deserves to be called a barbarian and an animal!!
Here's the original post guys and girls...some of the questions seem to be in the infantile stages of being answered (in media outlets), but there certainly are plenty of issues being discussed in the media other than what is factual regarding this particular act......

Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM

140 posts, read 531,757 times
I read that story "The Body" by Stephen King some years ago, and he said something to the effect of, killing yourself is bad enough, but taking people with you makes you dog s***. I completely agree. I feel sorry for people who commit suicide, because they clearly needed help, but people who kill others and then themselves are just plain selfish. It is a racial bias because he's Asian, and it's rare to hear about Asians committing violent crimes like this, especially a young college student. But this kid is no different than the Columbine kids or the kids in Arkansas that went on killing sprees at their schools. He was alone and angry and no one paid him much attention. He had no real outlet for his feelings except through writing, but it boiled out of control. All these kids who have done campus killings have things in common: they were young, male, angry, quiet, probably got picked on and bullied a lot, and they were practically ignored by the community. They were invisible, and so they wanted to make themselves seen by those who they felt had hurt them. In this case, the shooter had a problem with "spoiled rich kids". Anyway, what he did was wrong, no matter what he'd been through. Most of us have been picked on, bullied, or treated badly at some point in our lives. It doesn't give us the right to commit mass murder.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
He was lonely because he was crazy and mentally ill.

I think you are reading into these reports because of your bias.
I think you're wrong and ought to try listening to them. You cannot misinterpret someone from the news media pitying him. On FOX he was referred to as a malignant tumor. On CNN they referred to him as a lonely young Korean student that moved to America at the age of eight.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I've been watching the tapes he sent NBC..Very disturbed kid..Can't understand why, with his history someone wasn't looking after him..One of his professors knew he was mentally ill, and told the president. Just shows you that you should never take any sign lightly. Students in our high schools are not taken lightly, but I do understand that a University of 25,000 kids would have problems monitoring these kids..This will definitely need some serious fixing.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
I think you're wrong and ought to try listening to them. You cannot misinterpret someone from the news media pitying him. On FOX he was referred to as a malignant tumor. On CNN they referred to him as a lonely young Korean student that moved to America at the age of eight.
Watch the tape and his rambling, incoherent rants about all his perceived enemies and how he was being crucified by society. He even makes a reference to "cancer in his head."

The kid is a paranoid delusional mental patient. Even the courts said he had a serious mental problem. He belonged in a hospital, confined, and treated for his obvious illness (yes, mental disorders are illnesses).

BUT, he was not "evil" or a "barbarian" made by such "fair and balanced" people like Bill O' and the other morons on fox.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM

221 posts, read 994,102 times
[quote=irwin;597494]

BUT, he was not "evil"

Define evil, then, please. You don't believe it exists? Just curious.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 PM

341 posts, read 1,486,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Watch the tape and his rambling, incoherent rants about all his perceived enemies and how he was being crucified by society. He even makes a reference to "cancer in his head."

The kid is a paranoid delusional mental patient. Even the courts said he had a serious mental problem. He belonged in a hospital, confined, and treated for his obvious illness (yes, mental disorders are illnesses).

BUT, he was not "evil" or a "barbarian" made by such "fair and balanced" people like Bill O' and the other morons on fox.

Well if it walks like a duck.....

And what makes you think some of us find CNN's sympathizing with that killer FAIR and BLANCED?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
I'm still waiting for the tox reports to be released.

I'm curious to know what meds he was on; if they were in his system, and at what levels, at the time of his breakdown.

Quote:
Cho, a 23-year-old senior majoring in English, may have been taking medication for depression and that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
I would define "evil" as willful malevolence. It requires a free will, something this sick individual did not have.

Quote:
Well if it walks like a duck.....
Well, thankfully those in the psychiatric field use a higher degree of logic than this.
It's called intelligence.

Quote:
And what makes you think some of us find CNN's sympathizing with that killer FAIR and BLANCED?
Stating the facts is now "sympathizing?"

A product of fox no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies