Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:38 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And isn't it a shame that he seems very unlikely to run for office...
If he ran for office he wouldn't be the man everyone admires. Catch-22

Old 07-07-2009, 01:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,088,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm not being mean here,but guys like him who have good sense are to smart to fool with the frustration of politics.

It seems that the less qualified to lead that someone is,the more that person WANTS to lead and those with good sense seem to just go ahead a let them do it so THEY don't have to fool with it themselves.It's been that way forever,but in the last 10 years or so it has REALLY been backfiring on us(remember G.W.)....look at the poor voters in Alaska right now and the crap they have had to put up with from an unqualified politician...the Capt. appears to have his crap in one pile and appears to intelligent to deal with those type people I'd say..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If he ran for office he wouldn't be the man everyone admires. Catch-22
Quote:
And isn't it a shame that he seems very unlikely to run for office...
I know what you guys are saying that's why I said he seems unlikely to run for office...I picked up on him that he couldn't stand the BS, the ignorance, the infighting over nothing....the things I think Obama is finding out about.
While I would VOTE for Sullenberger if he ran, I would be disappointed in him if he did run....does that make sense?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,827,822 times
someone above wrote;
Quote:
I was irate to hear people were sick of hearing his story covered by the media and that his 10 min of fame were over.
Odd, I'm a pretty close follower of the news, and I never heard anything like that. Do you have any examples?

BTW, for a good, in depth write up on the entire incident see "Esquire" magazine. IIRC it's the June of July issue. It goes into the history of why there are so many Canada (not Canadian) geese in the US, what the pilot's, first officer's, and air traffic controller's responsibilities are in this type of incident. Great article.

golfgod

Old 07-07-2009, 02:38 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,036,730 times
Quote:
I know what you guys are saying that's why I said he seems unlikely to run for office...I picked up on him that he couldn't stand the BS, the ignorance, the infighting over nothing....the things I think Obama is finding out about.
While I would VOTE for Sullenberger if he ran, I would be disappointed in him if he did run....does that make sense?
Perfect sense and I agree with you....I also think Obama is now getting a clearer picture of the "business as usual" and how tit for tat is traded in D.C. with the big boys.

HOW did we let it get like this is something that I have caught myself wondering a lot lately.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,036,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Funny you should say that...my neighbor, and ex-air force and commercial pilot who is close personal friends with Sully and has flown with him many times, says he is exactly as you say: "his crap in one pile etc..."

My neighbor said that he is one of the most genuine and mellow people out there, and that he was not at all surprised that Sullenberger was in the cockpit on that fateful day.
He does come across that way to me.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM

378 posts, read 331,536 times
Now that the hype and BS has died somewhat, methinks this 'miracle' and the 'hero' pilot behind it warrants a second, and close, look. Start with the fact that Sully was not only a distracted pilot, his "Beautiful view of the river today"-to Jeff Skyles, who was actually flying the plane, caused 4 eyeballs - eyeballs that should have been watching dead-ahead - to be watching dead-down. This is confirmed by the fact that Sully saw the geese just one second before impact. Had they been looking where they should have been, they would have seen the flock miles off - plenty of time to have made the slight course correction needed to miss their swimming lesson.
Then follow through on what actually happened. After they hit the birds and instantly (Sully) realized that they didn't have a prayer, it took Sully ten full seconds to comprehend was was going down. Then Sully grabs control of the aircraft from Skyles (the flying is the easy part, and is thus left to the junior). He continues getting everything - repeat, EVERY THING - wrong. He forgot to declare a MayDay, he forgot hsi call sign, he forgot to disclose who he was, where he was, souls on board - everything required in an emergency, he told ATC he was returning to LGA, but then kept blundering away. He turned down wind (airplanes land better into the wind), he forgot to lower the flaps, he forgot to advise the cabin that it was a WATER impact, he forgot to hit the ditch switch. He ignored the airspeed that the readout laid out for him, in favor of a much higher speed that ripped open the aft end of the aircraft, creating immediate flooding and seriously injuring one of the flight attendants.
He cowered inside the plane, instead of exiting and running the operation. He even forgot to get on his cell to advise 911 what the heck was going down. But he did call his wife.
Anyone wanna argue...or are you going to join me in ripping the mask off what was clearly one of aviation's greatest F-ups ever?
Sock it to me.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,853,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruff View Post
Now that the hype and BS has died somewhat, methinks this 'miracle' and the 'hero' pilot behind it warrants a second, and close, look. Start with the fact that Sully was not only a distracted pilot, his "Beautiful view of the river today"-to Jeff Skyles, who was actually flying the plane, caused 4 eyeballs - eyeballs that should have been watching dead-ahead - to be watching dead-down. This is confirmed by the fact that Sully saw the geese just one second before impact. Had they been looking where they should have been, they would have seen the flock miles off - plenty of time to have made the slight course correction needed to miss their swimming lesson.
Then follow through on what actually happened. After they hit the birds and instantly (Sully) realized that they didn't have a prayer, it took Sully ten full seconds to comprehend was was going down. Then Sully grabs control of the aircraft from Skyles (the flying is the easy part, and is thus left to the junior). He continues getting everything - repeat, EVERY THING - wrong. He forgot to declare a MayDay, he forgot hsi call sign, he forgot to disclose who he was, where he was, souls on board - everything required in an emergency, he told ATC he was returning to LGA, but then kept blundering away. He turned down wind (airplanes land better into the wind), he forgot to lower the flaps, he forgot to advise the cabin that it was a WATER impact, he forgot to hit the ditch switch. He ignored the airspeed that the readout laid out for him, in favor of a much higher speed that ripped open the aft end of the aircraft, creating immediate flooding and seriously injuring one of the flight attendants.
He cowered inside the plane, instead of exiting and running the operation. He even forgot to get on his cell to advise 911 what the heck was going down. But he did call his wife.
Anyone wanna argue...or are you going to join me in ripping the mask off what was clearly one of aviation's greatest F-ups ever?
Sock it to me.
OK Chuck Yeager, since you are the self appointed expert, I'll give you these two sources:

Experience averts tragedy in Hudson landing - USATODAY.com
NTSB: Pilots ill-trained for water landings - USATODAY.com

Apparently, the experts seem to think he did a fine job. Even better than your attempted hatchet job here.

Right off the bat, Sullenberger's comment about the river was made 34 seconds before the impact witht the birds. How do you know he didn't look ahead in that stretch of time?

I won't even waste my time on your other rantings... although I suppose you could probably do a much better job playing on your home version of Flight Simulator.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
I think it's weird that everyone jumps in with "I'd vote for him" whenever someone does something they like. Vote for him to do WHAT? Landing a plane doesn't mean someone would be good at anything else. I'd vote for him to be a pilot but for anything else he'd be just as much under the gun to prove himself as the next person.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,135,916 times
I like watching him on those St. Jude's commercials -- although the children break my heart.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Nothing but admiration for the man. A great American story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies