Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch, and there is no such thing as a free war. The Iraq adventure has seriously weakened the U.S. economy, whose woes now go far beyond loose mortgage lending. You can't spend $3 trillion -- yes, $3 trillion -- on a failed war abroad and not feel the pain at home.

The Iraq War Will Cost Us $3 Trillion, and Much More - washingtonpost.com

Wow! It would have been less expensive to give the muslims what they wanted to begin with. In the end we will anyway so why spend all the money first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Nope, the stimulus money is suppose to be spent in the next two years, but the money has already left the treasury, which means it counts towards the 2009 fiscal year only.

I never said that the stimulus money wasn't going to go into the U.S. economy (wasted on stupid projects on the other hand....), what I was pointing out was that in the first month in office Obama had spent double what Bush supposedly spent per year on the war in Iraq.

And now I hear his economic advisers talking about how we will need a second stimulus package, are they actively trying to destroy our country?

Either that or they are very stupid. I'll let their supporters decide.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
We are still in Iraq? But I thought that was going to be fixed by electing Obama?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Wrong. The stimulus is spread out over two years. I doubt if any money was released within a month. A small amount has been spent so far. Anyway, using your argument, it's being spent in the US, so no big deal.
$70 billion has gone out. Only a small fraction of that has been spent and mostly was on Cobra and unemployment. How long does he want the American people to go without employment?

Does this mean I can use the phrase "Obama wants people to be homeless and starve to death." like is used with Reagan.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Ponzie scheme? Apparently, you either don't know what a ponzie scheme is, or you don't know what SS is.
As long as there is more money coming in than going out it'll work. That's the whole basis for a ponzi scheme.

Quote:
Superficially, these critics have a point, and there is a parallel between Social Security and a Ponzi scheme. But on a fundamental level, they are very wrong, and it’s worth explaining why. First, the parallel. Social Security taxes current workers to pay Social Security benefits for current retirees. In other words, the new entrants into the Social Security system, the young workers, pay off the previous entrants, the older workers. And despite the fact you have a Social Security “account”, there is no necessary link between what you paid into the system in taxes, and what you receive.
That’s very similar to the structure of a Ponzi scheme, where new investors pay off the original investors. As long as enough new ‘victims’ are brought into the scheme, it keeps growing and growing. But when the new investors runs out, the Ponzi collapses. Analogously, the slowdown in population growth puts pressure on Social Security finances.
Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme? - BusinessWeek

Many people have made that statement. Madoff should have been more technologically advanced I guess then his scheme would have never failed. Or at least that's the reasoning behind why SS won't fail. I can't find anything more reputable willing to defend.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
It is not an article, it is an opinion. Therefore I can ignore as I wish.

I served in the military, I had friends damn near die over in Iraq, and knew a few who didn't make it home. I know a hell of a lot about what happened over there.

What I am tired of is folks like you claiming that the war destroyed the American economy, it didn't. Yes a bunch of money was spent, some of it wasted, but most was spent in the United States, which means it wasn't wasted.

On the other hand, lets just look at 3 trillion dollars, even if I believed that was a real cost (which I don't) then that means Bush spent 375 Billion per year in office on the war. How much did Obama spend in his first month? 787 Billion? How quickly did we run out of money and had to start borrowing to pay for day to day operation of the government, April something or other?

But that's okay, don't worry, everytime you see something bad in the news, just grab your teddy bear and keep chanting your mantra, "It's all Bush's fault" over and over again until you feel better.
No one is saying that the soldiers did not do their duty. What I believe they are saying is money spent in Iraq could have been used much better here at home. I don't agree with the Obama bailout or the Bush bailout.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Having worked budget matters for Army HQs over the years, one thing that they always keep on eye on is what we called "the budget tail" that can really eat up the money. The "tail" is the backend costs for such things as veterans benefits, pensions for widows, and so on, which can run for decades after a war or after a person leaves uniformed service.

On the military hardware side, a huge "tail" can kill a project before it gets off the drawing boards. For example, the SR-71 blackbird was a phenomenal spy plane, but needed tremendous maintenance work after each flight; the newer satellites get better pix without the tail-end logistical costs.

One of the best examples of how long, and how expensive, the tail-end costs of military adventures is the Civil War. When many of those vets were in the older years, they married very young gals, often times for these gals to be their nurses for stay at home care, since there was no Medicare or Medicaid for long-term health care in those days. So, these old dudes married these girls of 18 and, long story short, the last Civil War widow died in 2004. Yep, the U.S. Govt paid that gal a survivor's pension/annuity for 70-80 years after the old vet died.

The tail-end expense of a war is huge, not to mention the immediate costs and all those fine young lives lost.

Damn Bush / Cheney / Rove and the oil barons for whose greed our forces were sent into Iraq.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-08-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies