Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

The Obama justice system - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Quote:
The Obama justice system

Spencer Ackerman yesterday attended a Senate hearing at which the DOD's General Counsel, Jeh Johnson, testified. As Ackerman highlighted, Johnson actually said that even for those detainees to whom the Obama administration deigns to give a real trial in a real court, the President has the power to continue to imprison them indefinitely even if they are acquitted at their trial.

About this assertion of "presidential post-acquittal detention power" -- an Orwellian term (and a Kafka-esque concept) that should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares at all about the most basic liberties -- Ackerman wrote, with some understatement, that it "moved the Obama administration into new territory from a civil liberties perspective." Law professor Jonathan Turley was more blunt: "The Obama Administration continues its retention and expansion of abusive Bush policies — now clearly Obama policies on indefinite detention."
Expansion of Bush policies - you betcha.

But this is beyond the pale - retaining acquitted detainees, indefinitely?

Wow - I bet the Left is just reeling.....maybe not. After all, he is a democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Wow - I bet the Left is just reeling.....maybe not. After all, he is a democrat.
It may be that they are unwilling to present evidence sufficient to get a conviction in a court of law for fear that it would jeapordize ongoing efforts. To that point, they may decide to detain said individual anyway.
I've long viewed Guantanamo as an issue that partisan people use to pick at the other side. Funny to see the shoe change feet and the straight-ticket types flip-flop.

In any event, yes, it is hillarious at how many people voted to put a stop to Guantanamo, to get gay marriage, to get us out of Iraq, Universal Healthcare....mmmm yeah, any minute now.

Oh well, maybe it will encourage more young voters to vote issues and not parties. Milk for free and all that....

Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
*dons conservative hat a'la 2003*

Yeah. And when we're attacked AGAIN, it's on YOUR conscience! Wimp!

*dons conservative hat a'la 2009*

Yeah. Put these thugs in YOUR town! Wimp...I mean...loser!

(You cons are a constant source of amazement.)

Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Acquitted Detainees; We can still keep them!

Next thing you know the neoCONS will loan them out to their big business contributors and have them working on the line putting potted meat in a can headed for Wal-Mart.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:59 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

Next thing you know the neoCONS will loan them out to their big business contributors and have them working on the line putting potted meat in a can headed for Wal-Mart.
What a farce! They just want the Muslim vote! Corrupt neocons! I'm so mad! Here's an exclamation mark for no reason at all: !

Old 07-08-2009, 01:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

At least they would be kept busy and closely monitored.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
At least they would be kept busy and closely monitored.
True....and potted meat ain't THAT bad if you mix it in mayo and keep it out of the sun.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What a farce! They just want the Muslim vote! Corrupt neocons! I'm so mad! Here's an exclamation mark for no reason at all: !
That was actually pretty funny

You are pretty liberal on giving those exclamation marks out...I'm usually stingy with them myself,but I give a lot of away freely...here,take another one. they spoil if you don't use them fast enough.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
*dons conservative hat a'la 2003*

Yeah. And when we're attacked AGAIN, it's on YOUR conscience! Wimp!

*dons conservative hat a'la 2009*

Yeah. Put these thugs in YOUR town! Wimp...I mean...loser!

(You cons are a constant source of amazement.)
What is amazing is how bad your sense of humor is

I assume you were trying to be funny??

Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Quote:

Coem on, we ALL know that it is Bush's fault. After all, the fact that we are in SUCH an unjust war in Iraq and the Middle east must mean that poor Obama who was left with SUCH a big mess was forced to do this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies