Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that lefties fail to get the point of this story. Pressure from all over the world led to the release of many of those people but more especially pressure from the Democrat world caused it.

No these people won't see the same thing when one of Obama's releases do the same thing. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Links to reference this pressure from around the world that forced the poor Bush era officials to release the guy?

It's funny about the right wingers, they always present themselves or those they would champion as victimized, helpless, hands tied, trying to explain the rational, common sense way patiently and just being trampled, etc. Rush is good at spinning that pleasant (for some) image for themselves and their group. I think it's related to the resentful, frustrated workadaddy self-image. Very smart. Go Rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that lefties fail to get the point of this story. Pressure from all over the world led to the release of many of those people but more especially pressure from the Democrat world caused it.

No these people won't see the same thing when one of Obama's releases do the same thing. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Who was it that wet their pants when it was suggested that Gitmo detainees be transferred to US prisons, where they would have virtually no chance to escape?

GOP's 'Keep Terrorists Out of America' Act Says Thanks, But No Thanks -- Politics Daily

Old 07-08-2009, 02:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Links to reference this pressure from around the world that forced the poor Bush era officials to release the guy?

It's funny about the right wingers, they always present themselves or those they would champion as victimized, helpless, hands tied, trying to explain the rational, common sense way patiently and just being trampled, etc. Rush is good at spinning that pleasant (for some) image for themselves and their group. I think it's related to the resentful, frustrated workadaddy self-image. Very smart. Go Rush.
Have you been living under a rock? Are you saying you don't recall ANY pressure from ANYONE, ANYWHERE around the world pressuring the United States to make a move regarding detainees? Selective forgetfulness seems to be the new fad on this forum.

Ask and you shall receive.

Former Gitmo Inmate Leading Fight Against U.S. in Helmand - Political News - FOXNews.com

And if you need more proof, here's the United Nations sounding off, except this time it's under Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062401172.html

And more proof:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/topstor...35730710_x.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4590912.stm

Just because you have the perverse notion that this criticism and pressure doesn't exist doesn't make you right (or very informed for that matter).

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-08-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
I'd like to know what the alternative is? Jail them with zero evidence till they're dead?

Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I'd like to know what the alternative is? Jail them with zero evidence till they're dead?
Recently, the U.S. has mandated that other countries put the released detainees in rehabilitation programs. If the countries refuse, they don't get their citizens back. From what I understand, that's the big hold up right now because countries like Yemen won't comply, but yet they want their citizens back. The largest number of detainees are from Yemen, by the way. These are not good folks.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
I thought Obama cracked a couple deals to send select detainees to different countries.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I thought Obama cracked a couple deals to send select detainees to different countries.
I believe Saudi Arabia has agreed to do some of the rehabilitation of some of the detainees. I'm not sure how many or from what country they are from.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Lee Atwater, is that you?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
(CBS/AP) Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, formerly Guantanamo prisoner No. 008, was among 13 Afghan prisoners released to the Afghan government in December 2007.

He is now known as Mullah Abdullah Zakir, a nom de guerre that Pentagon and intelligence officials say is used by a Taliban leader who is in charge of operations against U.S. and Afghan forces in southern Afghanistan.

Rasoul is the latest example of a freed detainee who took a militant leadership role and a potential complication for the Obama administration's efforts to close the prison.

U.S. authorities handed over Rasoul to the Afghan government, which in turn released him, according to Pentagon and CIA officials.

Former Gitmo Detainee Now A Taliban Boss - CBS News
But,.......... but,.............. their innocent! How can that be?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Lee Atwater, is that you?
LOL...well...lets just say I hope that Obama doesn't have a Willie Horton moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies