Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,218 times

Advertisements

I defy anyone to promote an ideology in the absence of a personal experience that relates to it.

I recently read a de-classified CIA document by an agent with experience dealing with defectors/double-agents. The common thread among people who were willing to betray their country? An early negative experience with their own government. (For example, a young man's father was arrested and taken from his home when he was younger.)

Mine:
- Anti-tobacco: my parents will likely die from tobacco-related illnesses, and although I have never even touched a cigarette, I suffer from asthma.
- Animal Welfare: My dog is truly my best friend. When I hear of an injustice or abuse against an animal, my heart goes out to them. Such as this:
NoVA & D.C. area folks - Volunteers needed for Animal Welfare Protest in Arlington

What are YOUR PERSONAL reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
Are you talking about issues or ideologies? What you listed are issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 AM

Issues are part of, and representative of, a larger ideology. So, either one.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Aw c'mon, no one? Afraid to be honest?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Aw c'mon, no one? Afraid to be honest?
What the heck, I'll step up to the plate.

I generally don't trust the government. Now when I say I don't trust them, I don't mean like some kind of delusional Troofer. No, what I mean is that I don't the government to do anything competently.

I also don't expect them to be honest. Now again I am not saying that they are lying, that would imply that they are somehow intelligent enough to discern what is real and then purposely misrepresent reality that for some reason. No, these idiots are dishonest in that they do not know or care what is real. Therefore nothing they say is really a lie, but its not really consistent with reality either.

There's my personal justification for my ideology. Basically, skepticism and cynicism.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
I think the absence of response may be because what your asking is sort of like stating the obvious? (I agree with you by the way).

But in deference, I have an extreme dislike for organized labor and the entitlement mentality that it has descended into. But I don't have any experience with it. Does this defy personal connection to ideology?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post

There's my personal justification for my ideology. Basically, skepticism and cynicism.
Yes, but my real question is, where did that skepticism come from? When do you first remember feeling that way?

(And thanks for answering)

Old 07-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think the absence of response may be because what your asking is sort of like stating the obvious? (I agree with you by the way).

But in deference, I have an extreme dislike for organized labor and the entitlement mentality that it has descended into. But I don't have any experience with it. Does this defy personal connection to ideology?

Is it fairly obvious, but I'm curious about individual answers.

For you, I'm thinking you haven't ever felt really taken advantage of in your life? At least, not professionally.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Yes, but my real question is, where did that skepticism come from? When do you first remember feeling that way?

(And thanks for answering)
This is interesting. The earliest memories I have when I think about this are old SNL skits making fun of President Ford. It makes me laugh to consider the possibility that I may be distrusting of the government now because of skits 30 years ago.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
This is interesting. The earliest memories I have when I think about this are old SNL skits making fun of President Ford. It makes me laugh to consider the possibility that I may be distrusting of the government now because of skits 30 years ago.

Aren't humans a hoot?

And it makes ME laugh that it's entirely possible my vendetta against cigarettes started when Christopher Reeve's Superman admonished Lois Lane for smoking in the first Superman movie. (And then x-rayed her lungs for cancer and said, "Not yet, thank goodness.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies