Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:37 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Has the legislation been passed McFly?
That's your defense for your ignorance of the proposed system?

How about this - show me, in the bill passed by the House of Representatives, where it says that my business will qualify for receiving these credits.

Once you've done that, tell me how selling those credits will make up for the mountains of paperwork (not very green, eh?) that I'll have to file to prove how much CO2 I'm emitting, the lawyer/accountant I'll have to hire to make sense of the law and make sure I'm in compliance, etc.

You just don't think things out, apparently. But keep on pushing for it. The forehead smacking you'll be doing after it passes and your family can't afford to eat three meals a day will be just so worth it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's your defense for your ignorance of the proposed system?

How about this - show me, in the bill passed by the House of Representatives, where it says that my business will qualify for receiving these credits.

Once you've done that, tell me how selling those credits will make up for the mountains of paperwork (not very green, eh?) that I'll have to file to prove how much CO2 I'm emitting, the lawyer/accountant I'll have to hire to make sense of the law and make sure I'm in compliance, etc.

You just don't think things out, apparently. But keep on pushing for it. The forehead smacking you'll be doing after it passes and your family can't afford to eat three meals a day will be just so worth it...
Ahh, so you turn it around and hope I'll do your research for you.
Awesome, lol.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Ahh, so you turn it around and hope I'll do your research for you.
Awesome, lol.
This post comes after the DM you just sent me?

Priceless.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:49 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Not going to get done before the break, hopefully not ever. Sen Byrd is adamantly opposed to the bill.

Obama's drive for climate change bill delayed (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070901998_pf.html - broken link)

Quote:
Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chairman Barbara Boxer said her self-imposed deadline of early August for finishing writing a bill to combat global warming has been put off until after Congress returns from a recess that ends in early September.
Quote:
"We'll do it as soon as we get back" from that break, Boxer told reporters. Asked if this delay jeopardizes chances the Senate will pass a bill this year, Boxer said, "Not a bit ... we'll be in (session) until Christmas, so I'm not worried about it."
Good. That will give those who oppose it more time to get out into the public all those nasty little details of the bill.

Byrd opposes ‘cap and trade’ bill

Quote:
Also, Senator Byrd's was one of the two sponsors of the Byrd-Hagel Resolution, which the senate unanimously passed, 95–0, in 1997. Byrd-Hagel stated the sense of the Senate that the United States should not be a signatory to any protocol that did not include binding targets and timetables for developing nations as well as industrialized nations or "would result in serious harm to the economy of the United States." Byrd-Hagel prevented Clinton from even trying to ratify the Kyoto Protocol, which like the Waxman-Markey "cap and trade" climate change legislation, would have put the U.S. economy at an economic disadvantage to China and India.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
This post comes after the DM you just sent me?

Priceless.
I sent you a polite note asking you to provide a link.

You sent me the entire bill (how helpful).

I will refrain from being polite in the future.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

683 posts, read 824,850 times
You guys should check out thegreenagenda.com if the gov hasn't shut the site down yet.... A whole lot of information in an easy to digest format. It could be some tin-foil hat stuff in there, but what if it isn't???

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
.....Business/industry will pass that cost on to the consumer through higher prices, thereby not affecting its bottom line.

That's true to a certain point, when consumers by necessity deal with US-based businesses that are effected by cap and trade. Energy prices, construction, farm products are all likely to go up. For most manufactured products, there is no necessity of dealing with a US company. Cap and TAX drives up the prices of US-made products, without doing the same for those made elsewhere. The US already has some of the highest corporate taxes and most burdensome regulation in the world. The logical expectation is the loss of even more of the US manufacturing base, by businesses forced offshore to remain competative.

I'd like to read a good "follow the money" study on cap and trade. The trade of credits sounds like a ponzi scheme to enrich those that produce nothing, and penialize those the do. Someone stands to make a pile of money off this scam.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Hello? McFly?

Didn't we cover this in another thread? These credits only apply to energy producers. Unless you're in a business such as generating electricity or producing gasoline, you'll never see a carbon credit, much less have any to sell.
And those producers pass what to the consumer? If this bill passes the Senate many will not be reelected.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
You guys should check out thegreenagenda.com if the gov hasn't shut the site down yet....
It's a NetSol-parked site.

Sure you got the domain name right?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Someone stands to make a pile of money off this scam.
Richard Sandor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies