Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When you see the Confederate flag displayed,what thoughts or feelings do you have about that time in
It represents a great period of American history 10 21.28%
I know it offends people but its my right to fly it 10 21.28%
It is offensive if people are proud of states rights,they can fly their state flag 12 25.53%
Don't really care 18 38.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Why, pray tell, would black people fly the Confederate Flag? I cannot think of any reason.
My adopted Daughter is Black. She loves NASCAR racing. She bought a Confederate Flag beach towel at a NASCAR race - and takes it with her whenever she goes to a pool or the Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My adopted Daughter is Black. She loves NASCAR racing. She bought a Confederate Flag beach towel at a NASCAR race - and takes it with her whenever she goes to a pool or the Beach.
Just curious: Is your daughter aware of the origin of the Battle Flag?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Sometimes slogans and symbols take the place of critical thinking skills.
I've got put that on a t-shirt.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM

481 posts, read 943,210 times
Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing. It would be like me, a Cuban-American, allowing my daughter to wear a Fidel Castro t-shirt. It may not effect her life personally, but it just seems so wrong.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM

41 posts, read 182,802 times
I personally know people who display the southern flag, and who are part of northern states. When asked, the flag represents states rights...which was a major issue in the civil war and is still a major issue today.

I'm offended by the people who are directing so much venom at the white country boys driving around in their trucks displaying the stars and bars. If I may ask, how does your attitude help educate these individuals by any stretch of the imagination? People can be ignorant without being racist...for example, I live in the inner city (which is african american) and there are lot's of people here who think the minute they step outside the city boundaries into the county, the KKK is going to get them. Ignorance needs education, not ridicule.
Besides, many of these boys you ridicule so much are the boys going away to protect your right to ridicule them!

Finally, anyone who is offended by displaying a flag where racism or genocide has been officially conducted under that the authority of that flag at one point in that flag's history had better not ever raise that American Flag.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
She has studied the history of the South extensively.

The War was over trade - not slavery.

Remember - Northerners had slaves as well

Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,199 times
I still cant believe some people are so ignorant to this...

I love the confederate flag and support it...

not because of slavery...

but because of Freedom against an overpowering govt., states rights, and liberty.

Many dont realize how racist lincoln was...He did not want blacks to have any power at all...he said he wanted a WHITE nation. It is a shame that history books and the mass media have portrayed the confederate battle flag the way it has.

The confederate flag means Liberty from an overpowering govt to me. It means freedom. It means states rights.

It does not mean racism.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
The confederate flag means Liberty from an overpowering govt to me. It means freedom. It means states rights.

It does not mean racism.
Excellent Post.

Thank you.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,259 times
This should have had a poll, "what do you think when you see a confederate flag flying?" whatever your personal interpretations are or whatever in-depth knowledge to the history of the confederate flag you have, to the majority of Americans it says, "backwards southerner who can't get over the fact we lost and want to go back the slave days." Whatever it means to you, ok, whatever, but the point is what it says to other people when you’re flying it. I almost ran off the road when I saw someone flying it OVER the American flag in the NC Mountains. You see it a lot here, and I'm pretty sure that the majority of people who resided in the southern mountains during the time of the civil war were northern sympathizers. If the south had won, they wouldn't have ended slavery because too many people in the confederate party made so much money off it. You can say it was all about trade and everything but that's like looking a slave from the civil war in the eyes and saying, "it's not personal, it's business."
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Who woulda thunk... To each his/her own, I guess. If she's fine with it, more power to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies