Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Rather be fat and happy than starve on Northern food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I lived in the north and south and moved around to several states already... what have I noticed? They are pretty much the same (however, I do have to agree that the South has better food - don't know why that is... better chefs?)... I didn't find that the South had more fat people than the north however, what I do notice is that the fat people tend to be more often African American than the other races... with that said... I wonder where most of the African Americans tend to be... I am betting they are in the South and hence probably giving any statistic on obesity, a constant bias...

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Parts of the South but probably other areas of the country suffer from misprioritizing during the morning work day and spend way too much time thinking on what to eat for lunch. I've never seen anything like the obsession we have today. The streets are just clogged with cars during the lunch hour and there is a line at every cotton pickin' drive-thru for miles. I guess nobody brownbags anymore.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
what I do notice is that the fat people tend to be more often African American than the other races... with that said... I wonder where most of the African Americans tend to be... I am betting they are in the South and hence probably giving any statistic on obesity, a constant bias...
where do people see all of these fat black people at? I went to an all black college and there wasn't an overwhelming amount of fat people walking around...of course I think black people have different standards of fat. What other races call plus-sized, we call thick. I guess it's all in the perception.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
We've traveled about a third of the states since Labor Day '08, and the South has no monopoly on obesity.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Why are some northeasterners and Californians so stupid? Why are they so supportive of overregulation and why do they keep voting for people who spend like crazy so that they are taxed to death and have a cost of living that is totally outrageous?

My observation is that liberal northeasterners and Californians flee to the southeast and Texas so they can afford to eat better.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Rather be fat and happy than starve on Northern food.
Wow, your response to my post was awfully rude.

Succotash is a mixture of lima beans, corn, tomatoes. It was a staple dish of the Native Americans that was introduced to the early settlers.

Okay so you don't like Northern food...why are you so defensive? To each his own.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I lived in the north and south and moved around to several states already... what have I noticed? They are pretty much the same (however, I do have to agree that the South has better food - don't know why that is... better chefs?)... I didn't find that the South had more fat people than the north however, what I do notice is that the fat people tend to be more often African American than the other races... with that said... I wonder where most of the African Americans tend to be... I am betting they are in the South and hence probably giving any statistic on obesity, a constant bias...

Maryland and Delaware have a significant percentage of blacks but have a lower obesity rate than states with a small percentage of blacks (ie. West Virginia, Kentucky and Oklahoma). How do you explain that?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,399 times
I've have seen some obese folks in both TN and MS and a lot of them were white folks.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Wow, your response to my post was awfully rude.

Succotash is a mixture of lima beans, corn, tomatoes. It was a staple dish of the Native Americans that was introduced to the early settlers.

Okay so you don't like Northern food...why are you so defensive? To each his own.

No defensive to it dahlin. It was a joke...meant in a good-natured, ribbing manner. Hence the smilies.

Still yuck though...

And one question.
If we're all so fat, then how have we produced so many beauty queens?? Im sure there are some lovely Southern ladies on CD here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies