Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,581,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
And how does one pay for such a huge spending bill when the economy is on the brink of crashing? Its summer, why don't we tax all the lemonade stands on every block!
The U.S. government has almost-unlimited funds. If we can afford a trillion to pay for Iraq, I think we can find at least that much to make sure that all Americans have affordable health care coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,675,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The U.S. government has almost-unlimited funds. If we can afford a trillion to pay for Iraq, I think we can find at least that much to make sure that all Americans have affordable health care coverage.
I 2nd that! They just passed another $100 billion for Iraq and there was not even any debate about it.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,169,407 times
The government doesn't have any "funds". I think you mean unlimited debt.
They are spending money they don't have. They are borrowing against future revenue.

Oh but there is a limit and I think the US has already passed it. We're on life support right now.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,581,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government doesn't have any "funds". I think you mean unlimited debt.
They are spending money they don't have. They are borrowing against future revenue.
This didn't seem to be a problem for most Republicans just a couple years ago, and the money was going toward helping a country that isn't really even our friend. Now that there's a movement to help our own people, suddenly, those same Republicans are against spending a dime. Suddenly, it's "Oh, sorry, we don't have the money for that."

Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,169,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This didn't seem to be a problem for most Republicans just a couple years ago, and the money was going toward helping a country that isn't really even our friend. Now that there's a movement to help our own people, suddenly, those same Republicans are against spending a dime. Suddenly, it's "Oh, sorry, we don't have the money for that."
I am not a Republican. And I was not in favor of sending billions of dollars to Iraq to rebuild their city when we have poverty here.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,047,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you saying that you don't know about S-Chip for those children? No wonder so many people keep talking about children not having any insurance.
I do know about S-Chip and I think it is a wonderful thing, and a step toward solving the problems of the uninsured (however, I wonder how much it benefits a child to have uninsured parents) but I doubt the poster I replied to approves of it, given his or her other posts.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,455,645 times
Quote:
Originally posted by royalsoldboy
The Senate Republicans had an idea way back and Dirty Harry told them to sit down and shut up. He doesn't want anything done in his Senate to be bi-partisan so he doesn't allow them to even speak. How do you suggest anything if you aren't allowed to talk? I can't figure that one out. Maybe you could explain it to me how it works.
What, they can't go to the airwaves and put their ideas out there? They have Fox news and talk radio--a significant part of American media. If they can't find ways to get their message out despite the Democrats, then you need some new Republicans.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,809,653 times
More on the Blue Dogs and their concerns, which should be everyone's concern.

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
In their letter yesterday, the Blue Dog Democrats said cost-cutting should be “much more aggressive” in the legislation, which has had a price tag of at least $1 trillion and is President Barack Obama’s top domestic priority.

Referring to Obama’s push to extend coverage to the estimated 46 million uninsured Americans, the letter said, “We cannot ‘add’ new consumers to a broken system.”
Quote:
“Using Medicare’s below-market rates,” which are sometimes 20 percent to 30 percent below what private insurers pay, “would seriously weaken the financial stability of our local hospitals and doctors,” the lawmakers said.
Quote:
In their letter, the Blue Dog Democrats also urged caution about requiring small businesses to provide employees with health-care coverage.

“Small business owners and their employees lack coverage because of high and unstable costs -- not because of an unwillingness to provide or purchase it,” the lawmakers said. “We cannot support a bill that further exacerbates the challenges faced by small businesses.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies