Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well too many times a link is bashed about being too right or too left and the content of the link dismissed.

This topic doesn't seem to have a middle ground.

I will say though that I've read he's been arrested, he's protested with Greenpeace and has called for the CEO's of the gas companies to be put on trial.
the middle ground is that he believes in global warming but thinks that the waxman bill is just a government payoff to big business, so we all should have that in common whether you believe in global warming or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
in the end it is all about the politics. you can look at NASA for example. when bush was in office they had an anti-global warming link and now that obama is in office they have a global warming is a danger link. governments are trying to find ways to suck money out of all taxpayers and this is another way to do it.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
It would help if the politicians would quit spewing so much hot air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
We could solve this CO2 problem if the governments could mandate that the 6.7 billion people hold their breath for a day or two.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Sure thing:

Following is a list of the Hansen Issue:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=40 (broken link)

This is information concerning GISS's change to the warmest year issue:

Watts Up With That?: 1998 no longer the hottest year on record in USA

In case you wanted to use the NOAA's tactic of rebuttal concerning Anthony Watts, way ahead of you.

http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=6358

Concerning Hansen's Stonewalling and finally releasing his code for review:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2031

Now here is the thing with me if you wish to continue discussion.

If you contest, please do so concerning the data, the research, or the information presented. Making fallacious claims will only result with you being placed on ignore.

You claim to be a person interested in the science, so your response should be in kind. If you turn this political, I will place you on ignore.

If you respond with a refusal to even evaluate the information provided based on similar comments "kind of sweet anti-Hansen link" or play Real climate games of dismissal, I will place you on ignore.

I am offering an honest proposal of discussion, if you are willing to accept that there are problems with the research, yet still hold to an AGW position, I can at least respect your personal belief as such. Climate audit has many respected researchers in the field which lean to AGW, but do not assume it is conclusive. If you take that position, we have no problems. If you start proclaiming superiority and ignore the science to hold to political or personal ideals, then you will merely prove my point and I will place you on the ignore list with those who are also equally arrogant and agenda driven. The ball is in your court.

edit:

Here is also a list of issue with the IPCC and their poor procedures concerning due diligence, data archiving and obvious political posturing:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=23 (broken link)
Appreciate the links.

I'm certainly glad you claim to want discussion based on data.
Very encouraging.

Edit: I responded before I finished reading your post.
This paragraph specifically:
Quote:
I am offering an honest proposal of discussion, if you are willing to accept that there are problems with the research, yet still hold to an AGW position, I can at least respect your personal belief as such. Climate audit has many respected researchers in the field which lean to AGW, but do not assume it is conclusive. If you take that position, we have no problems. If you start proclaiming superiority and ignore the science to hold to political or personal ideals, then you will merely prove my point and I will place you on the ignore list with those who are also equally arrogant and agenda driven. The ball is in your court.
I am willing to accept that there may be problems with the (the?) research.
There may be problems with any research.

I prefer to side with the vast majority of scientists on global warming.

I assume you are specifically referring to Hansen (when you reference problems with the research) and I have not formed any opinions of Hansen. After reading what has been provided, maybe we'll have a discussion of his research.

Last edited by compJockey; 07-11-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Dr. James Hansen: G-8 Failure Reflects U.S. Failure on Climate Change

In particular:

"If we burn even half of Earth's remaining fossil fuels we will destroy the planet as humanity knows it. The added emissions of heat-trapping carbon dioxide will set our Earth irreversibly onto a course toward an ice-free state, a course that will initiate a chain reaction of irreversible and catastrophic climate changes."

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Many of us are in camp reality.

Hansen doesn't like Waxman-Markey, or cap and trade in general.
Its "less than worthless" he says.
Might be worth a read for opponents (and supporters) of W-M.
It certainly would have been a good read for 219 Representatives but for some reason they failed to read it. I think the main reason was that over 1000 pages of drivel can't be read in less than 24 hours and many of them didn't even have that long. Then there was the over 300 pages of amendments that weren't even available until about 3:00 am on the day they voted.

Yep they should have read the thing but Nasty Nancy didn't want them to do so any more than Waxman did.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
An INFORMED rebuttal to Hansen (for those who actually care):

Joseph Romm: NASA's James Hansen Recycles Myths in His Pointless Attack on U.S. Climate Action

Also (only tangentially related):

The New York Times > Log In
That is very beautiful. You link a HuffPo article that amounts to nothing more than an editorial that is taking Hansen to task for saying that the Crap and Tax bill won't do anything to lessen manmade CO2, and he is 100% right in that that piece of "legislation"???? is not aimed at lessening CO2. It is aimed at blowing a big hole in the economy of the United States and give certain government people more control over the people of the nation. Hansen is totally right and warmers don't like that.

Then I get to read a link for Friedman, a columnist, who wrote one of his howling editorials for the al Times of New York. I guess the one thing about Friedman is that he is very consistent.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He only cares because to him, Hansen is playing right into the "deniers" hands.
Just what I see. Hansen is not a real scientist, at least a weather scientist and they are trying to discredit him for saying that the Waxman Crap and Tax bill is not aimed at lessening manmade CO2. Hansen isn't stupid since that is not what Waxman intended.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Enough already. You're like a broken record chanting the same mantra over and over. Let others have a reasonable debate on the science.
When libs allow weather experts to get involved in that debate I will be ready to let them have that debate. As of now, they haven't been there yet.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, I'll bite!

Why do cooling trends have nothing to do with the weather?

Do I lack the background to understand the complexities involved?

Just asking.
Me too. I just don't see the meaning in that quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies