Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And this is from someone who has contributed nothing of value to this thread, to counter well written, comprehensive and logical posts.

Great posts, as usual, Saganista.
NO Einstein, I like reading posts that have data to back up the claims otherwise they are useless.

They maybe well written as opinion but all I asked for is data to back up the opinions/claims. You only believe they are great because you agree with the content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
It's a given how conservatives will feel.

However, as an Obama voter and supporter (90% of the time) so far, I can say that if a second major stimulus is passed ... my support will drop handily.
Me too. I will be P****D!

Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM

785 posts, read 1,049,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I fully agree with this. Still do not want to see a second "stimulus" package pushed though, especially when the first one has barely been used yet. That just makes no sense. Health Care is the last big spending I want to see for a while. On corporations, I wouldn't be opposed to eliminating tax loopholes but lowering tax rates.
Now just so you don't misinterperet my message, I wasn't saying that the government should stop spending. I was saying that the government should stop borrowing. I think that the government needs to increase spending/investments in many things: infrastucture, light rail and other public transportation, renewable energy, preventing forclosures, food stamps, welfare, health care reform, education. However, the govenment should find a way to pay for it all through tax increases, cutting unecessary spending, government-run enterprises or a combination of all 3.

Loopholes are a good place to start. Obama is already eliminating offshore tax safe havens, which I completely support, but there are many other loopholes that need to go as well. Here is a good story that I read a while back about coporations not paying taxes.
Many Firms Didn't Pay Taxes - washingtonpost.com
If you check this story out, or if you already have, you will see that about two thirds of all corporations in the US didn't pay any taxes, 28% of large corporations didn't pay any taxes and 68% of foreign corporations didn't pay any taxes. Me being the type that likes to stand up for the little guy, I can understand, and support, some tax breaks for small businesses. But they still should be contributing something. There is no reason at all that large corporations shouldn't be paying their fair share, especially foreign corporations. If someone from another country wants to come to the states to make money, they need to give back to the community that is enabling them to make money.

I don't see anything wrong with the 35% corporate tax rate. I am aware that it is higher than alot of other countries. I'm also aware that many people think that if you close the loopholes and don't reduce the corporate tax rate, it will kill jobs; these same people say that if you lower the taxes, corporations will have more money and the wealth will trickle down. I have a problem with this because evidence has shown that the wealth is trickling UP, not DOWN.
CEO pay: Redefining sky-high - Aug. 30, 2005
The CEO/worker pay ratio used to be around 40/1 when Reaganomics took off. For almost 30 years we have hung on to this trickle down theory and now have a CEO/worker pay ratio of over 400/1. To derive from my main point for a second, I think there should be a maximum wage for exectutives; no more than 50 times the pay of your average non-managment employee, no more than 100 times the pay of your lowest paid employee. I think this will help the poor and the middle class get some more cash in their pocket, which they will spend, helping to stimulate the economy. I also think that workers will be more productive because they know that if the company is doing well, they'll get a pay raise; therefore their interests are the same as the company's interests.

One poster made a good point that corporations don't add more jobs because they have more money; they add more jobs because they can sell more products. Therefore, I think the goverment shoud spend money, help the have-nots and the middle class (which are sadly becoming have-nots as well) get a little cash in their pockets, they'll go out and spend it, and companies will then add jobs due to greater demand for their products.

As you can see, I'm definetly not a fiscal conservative. I do, however, believe in fiscal responsiblity; the government should find a way to pay for what it's spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies